Default Snare Drum Mic-ing on the side

I think there was some talk about a technique of mic-ing the snare
from the side with good results. If anyone has done this, what's the
procedure?
Are you mic-ing the little vent hole?

See12mic
hank alrich

see12mic wrote:

I think there was some talk about a technique of mic-ing the snare
from the side with good results. If anyone has done this, what's the
procedure?

Same as any other micing approach, pick a spot you like.

Are you mic-ing the little vent hole?

No, I keep the mic a little away from the hole. Sometimes the mic winds
up about halfway down the side of the shell and back from the drum about
8" to a foot, and sometimes the mic is just above the top rim,
horizontal, aimed across the top of the head. Sometimes side micing
works for me and sometimes I do something else.

Just experiment.

--
ha

Wayne

I think there was some talk about a technique of mic-ing the snare
from the side with good results. If anyone has done this, what's the
procedure?

-----
Normally I use a SD condenser, placed under the hi-hat pointed at the shell.
More attack - move toward the top. More snare - move toward the bottom. Move
to front/back for hi-hat leakage. Adjust in and out for tone. Play with it
until you get what you're lookin' for. Use low rolloff switch for kick bleed.
Hard rock snare may work better with hyper-cardiod dynamic.

Everything above is for starting only. Where and what you finally wind up with
is sometimes different.

Are you mic-ing the little vent hole?

See12mic

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-

ScotFraser

I think there was some talk about a technique of mic-ing the snare
from the side with good results. If anyone has done this, what's the
procedure?

I use an AKG C61 with an A51 swivel joint so I can get the mic in between the
snare & the high hat. I usually put the capsule about 6" from the rim, pointing
generally at the rim, sometimes more at the side, sometimes up a little higher
to peek down a bit on the head. All depends on the drummer & the drum.

Are you mic-ing the little vent hole?
BRBR

No.

Scott Fraser

jerry

Yeah with this drummer of mine, he hits nearly every hit rim-shot, and
shell micing seems to pick that up alot nicer. I use the hypercardiod
md441, as it helps keep the hihat out of the way. If you have one of
those variable phase do-hickies, that may help line it up to the
overheads which, for me, pick up the rest of the snare sound.

Raymond

Wayne wrote
Normally I use a SD condenser, placed under the hi-hat pointed at the shell.
More attack - move toward the top. More snare - move toward the bottom. Move
to front/back for hi-hat leakage. Adjust in and out for tone. Play with it
until you get what you're lookin' for. Use low rolloff switch for kick bleed.
Hard rock snare may work better with hyper-cardiod dynamic.

Everything above is for starting only. Where and what you finally wind up with
is sometimes different

I'm just asking but, what would the advantage of a Hyper-cardiod be? You are
referring to a fig 8 pattern yes? Most snares are quite loud and the thing
behind close micing is to only get one drum sound into each mic right?

ScotFraser

It's not crack'n'thunder snare, but it's a nice pleasant sound on
a decent drum hit right. BRBR

Exactly. It's usually on jazz drums that I use this approach.

Scott Fraser

ScotFraser

Are you using the CK28 capsule on the C61? BRBR

Yes. If it's a bit on the dull side I'll use a 451/CK1 instead.

Scott Fraser
ScotFraser

Are you using the CK28 capsule on the C61? BRBR

Yes. If it's a bit on the dull side I'll use a 451/CK1 instead.

Scott Fraser
Hal Laurent

"Raymond" wrote in message

I'm just asking but, what would the advantage of a Hyper-cardiod be? You

are
referring to a fig 8 pattern yes?

A hypercardiod is not a figure 8.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

ScotFraser

I'm just asking but, what would the advantage of a Hyper-cardiod be?

A tighter pattern, thus less leakage from the rest of the kit.

You are
referring to a fig 8 pattern yes?

No, hypercardioid is a whole different thing. It's more directional than a
cardioid, picks up less from the sides, but has a little zone of pickup from
the rear. Figure eights have equal (hopefully) pickup patterns front & rear.

Most snares are quite loud and the thing
behind close micing is to only get one drum sound into each mic right?
BRBR

That's the idea, but in practice it's never that well delineated. In reality
everything is in every mic, but each mic gives its intended drum precedence.
Scott Fraser

Wayne

I'm just asking but, what would the advantage of a Hyper-cardiod be? You are
referring to a fig 8 pattern yes? Most snares are quite loud and the thing
behind close micing is to only get one drum sound into each mic right?

Check this site out please.
http://homerecording.about.com/libra...y/aa032597.htm

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-

Scott Dorsey

Hal Laurent wrote:

"Raymond" wrote in message

I'm just asking but, what would the advantage of a Hyper-cardiod be? You

are
referring to a fig 8 pattern yes?

A hypercardiod is not a figure 8.

It is, in fact, about halfway between a cardioid and a figure-8, much the
way that a cardioid is halfway between a figure-8 and an omni.

justin pizzoferrato

i use this when i am recording on limited tracks/preamps. if i'm doing the old
"3 mic drum" thing i'll put a 57 on the side, somewhere between the top and
bottom, moving it until i get the right balance. i keep it pretty close to the
shell of the drum. by itself it sounds ratty but in the mix with a decent
overhead, it's quite snappy and nice.
-justin

Kurt Albershardt

Raymond wrote:

what would the advantage of a Hyper-cardiod be?

It's easier to put the hat in the null of a hyper.

Kurt Albershardt

Raymond wrote:

what would the advantage of a Hyper-cardiod be?

It's easier to put the hat in the null of a hyper.

Kevin Kelly

Are you mic-ing the little venthole?

It's better to keep the mics away from the drummer if possible! BRBR

Now THAT's funny!

If you've got more contributions like that, don't let the humor police get in
your way. I read the thread for serious suggestions, but yours made me grin.
Now, back to my bad session.

Kevin M. Kelly
"There needs to be a 12-step program for us gearheads"

Snare mic used for reverb send ONLY? TYY Pro Audio 7 July 19th 04 04:52 PM
Snare drum granners Pro Audio 13 March 22nd 04 11:43 AM
drum ring Chris Whealy Pro Audio 3 March 10th 04 06:25 PM
snare drum sticking out above the rest of the music David Pro Audio 11 October 24th 03 05:29 PM
The elusive ANALOG Drum sound Richard Morrow Pro Audio 7 August 21st 03 11:39 AM