Brian

Default Sealed boxes not truely sealed?

I have a "sealed" box for my two 12"s. Each sub is "sealed" in it's own
chamber (The big box is seperated inbetween the two creating two chambers).

Now, by all means, the box is sealed air tight. It has good sealing seems
where the wood pieces join and by all means is a very good looking box.
HOWEVER:

If I push one sub's cone in, it makes the other subs cone push out a little
bit. Just as if air is leaving the pushed in chamber, going in the other
chamber and forcing that sub outward.

So, it seems to me that (atleast mine) sealed enclosures aren't 100% sealed,
especially when dealing with one box with two seperated chambers. If it were
truely sealed, pushing one sub in shouldn't force the other sub out.

Am I missing something here or are my accusations correct? I also must
think, if the box was 100% sealed, there could be very big problems.. with a
pure sealed box, the pressure would get so intense in the chambers that it
would make the box literally explode apart from the pressure.

Could someone shed some light on this issue for me? Thanks.

KaeZoo

"Brian" wrote in message
I have a "sealed" box for my two 12"s. Each sub is "sealed" in it's own
chamber (The big box is seperated inbetween the two creating two

chambers).

Now, by all means, the box is sealed air tight. It has good sealing seems
where the wood pieces join and by all means is a very good looking box.
HOWEVER:

If I push one sub's cone in, it makes the other subs cone push out a

little
bit. Just as if air is leaving the pushed in chamber, going in the other
chamber and forcing that sub outward.

So, it seems to me that (atleast mine) sealed enclosures aren't 100%

sealed,
especially when dealing with one box with two seperated chambers. If it

were
truely sealed, pushing one sub in shouldn't force the other sub out.

Do they still do this if you disconnect the speaker wire from one of the
subs? If two subs are connected together electrically, moving one manually
will create a voltage in the voice coil that will cause the other to move
slightly, even if they don't share an enclosure.

Am I missing something here or are my accusations correct? I also must
think, if the box was 100% sealed, there could be very big problems.. with

pure sealed box, the pressure would get so intense in the chambers that it
would make the box literally explode apart from the pressure.

Never heard of this happening. Even if a subwoofer's excursion could create
that kind of pressure, which I doubt, any damage would probably occur at the
weakest part of the enclosu the subwoofer itself.

Could someone shed some light on this issue for me? Thanks.

Haioken

with a pure sealed box, the pressure would get so
intense in the chambers that it
would make the box literally explode apart from the
pressure.

I don't see how that could happen. For more pressure to keep building, there
must be an air intake.
When the subwoofer presses in, the pressure raises by a subliminally small
amount (Because the subwoofer wouldn't be moving more than say ... an inch)
but when the subwoofer releases, the pressure is dropped again. You're just
constantly raising the pressure, then lowering it again.
Also note, that air is normally quite low pressure. You'd need to raise by
quite a few PSI before causing damage to the box or the subwoofer. Relating
to KaeZoo's post, the subwoofer is more likely to be damaged by having too
much power fed to it, and then literally tearing it's cone away from the
outer shell from the sheer force of the blast.

- Haioken

Sanitarium

I have read about poor quality sealed enclosures blowing apart. Never
experienced it first hand though.

Sealed enclosures are usually stuffed with polyester fiberfill (pillow
stuffing). The small polyester fibers wiggle, move, and vibrate against
each other with the pressure waves. A large percentage of the acoustic
energy is converted to heat in the enclosure, and hence only a portion
of the acoustic energy is thrust upon the walls of the enclosure.

Something like that...
Garrett

Brian wrote:

[...]

Tony Fernandes

If pushing down on one sub is affecting the other, then the two chambers are
not completely sealed from the other. Is there an internal wire connecting
the two subs via a small hole in the dividing wall? It needs to be sealed
as well.

I've always wondered if the foam surround on some woofers were just porous
enough to let air slowly breathe...?

I've done a few boxes in my time and I've had 'em to where you can push down
on the cone all you want and no air goes in or out.

Tony

Chris

call me stupid, but if your two subs are connected to each other and you
attach the amp to one set of positive and negative terminals....wouldn't
that mean that there has to be a hole cut in the middle to allow the wires
to pass?

I thought so

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

Brian

That is what my box is, except my terminals are on the sides. No hole in the
divider of my box.

Will try disconnecting the subs from eachother tomorrow in the sun and
seeing what happens. I will report back.

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Brian" wrote:

[...]

I don't see how it could matter if both subs are driven with similar
signals.

The divider is probably only there so you don't damage the subs if you
connect one out of phase, wonder why there's no bass, and crank the amps
to full power. Running full power with no acoustic load is a good way
to hammer the windings off the end of the voice coil.

GuP

i have the same problem. my sub box is "sealed" but when i push on one,
the other moves also. i bought a new box and everything just because i
thought my Q-Logic was getting old. i have 2 wiring terminals on both
sides of my 1.2 cubic foot per chamber box. so, i dont think that can
just be you...
later

--
GuP