Posted to rec.audio.tech
katzenjammer katzenjammer is offline

Default Sound cards real bandwidth

Hi!

I'm working on a project in which I send analog signals from PC (LabView) at
frequency of (0-60)KHz.
I wonder if there is a possibility to send such signal via soundcard... I
found that some models with 192kHZ C/A have wider bandwidth than 22KHz. For
example:

Sound Blaster X-Fi:
Audio Output:
Response bandwidth (10-88000)Hz

M Audio Audiophile 192:
Audio Output
in some specs response bandwidth (20-80000)Hz
in manufacturer specs bandwidth +/-0.1dB, 20Hz to 20kHz but at 48kHz
sampling rate

But is that for real?

The best solution will be to test these soundcards, but I don't have such a
possibility, so if someone knows something in this matter I'll be grateful

Cheers, Martin

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"katzenjammer" wrote in message
I'm working on a project in which I send analog signals from PC (LabView)

at
frequency of (0-60)KHz.
I wonder if there is a possibility to send such signal via soundcard... I
found that some models with 192kHZ C/A have wider bandwidth than 22KHz.

For
example:

Sound Blaster X-Fi:
Audio Output:
Response bandwidth (10-88000)Hz

M Audio Audiophile 192:
Audio Output
in some specs response bandwidth (20-80000)Hz
in manufacturer specs bandwidth +/-0.1dB, 20Hz to 20kHz but at 48kHz
sampling rate

But is that for real?

For the M-Audio, yes. Or buy a Lynx soundcard for even more critical
measurements. I wouldn't touch a Creative card for any serious measurement
(fine for games)
There are RMAA tests of these cards available on the net. Arny can probably
point you in the right direction if Google can't.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
katzenjammer katzenjammer is offline

For the M-Audio, yes.

Thanks. I've found detailed specs:

frequency response: +/-0.1dB, 20Hz to 20kHz @ 48kHz
+/-0.1dB, 20Hz to 40kHz @ 96kHz
+/-0.5dB, 20Hz to 80kHz @ 192kHz

Should be OK.

There are RMAA tests of these cards available on the net. Arny can
probably
point you in the right direction if Google can't.

Thanks a lot!

Martin

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"katzenjammer" wrote in message
Hi!

I'm working on a project in which I send analog signals from PC (LabView)
at frequency of (0-60)KHz.
I wonder if there is a possibility to send such signal via soundcard... I
found that some models with 192kHZ C/A have wider bandwidth than 22KHz.
For example:

Sound Blaster X-Fi:
Audio Output:
Response bandwidth (10-88000)Hz

This could be true. It is a relatively expensive card (ca. $300+)

M Audio Audiophile 192:
Audio Output
in some specs response bandwidth (20-80000)Hz
in manufacturer specs bandwidth +/-0.1dB, 20Hz to 20kHz but at 48kHz
sampling rate

But is that for real?

IME M-Audio is for real, across the board.

I have an AP 24192 that I tested with the Audio Rightmark program at 44, 96,
and 192 KHz

In my 24/192 loopback test, response was less than 1 dB down at 83 KHz, both
channels. Remember, this includes losses in both the record and playback
sides of the card. The roll-off is smooth, there are no appreciable peaks or
ripples.

The card delivers some of its best specs or equals its best specs when
running 24/192. That's no surprise for frequency response, but is a surprise
for dynamic range.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
katzenjammer katzenjammer is offline

IME M-Audio is for real, across the board.

cut

Thanks. You've helped me a lot!

Martin

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 05:17 PM
Some Recording Techniques kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 19 February 16th 05 08:54 PM
Creating Dimension In Mixing- PDF available on Request (112 pages0 kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 14 February 14th 05 06:58 PM