AudioFan

Default Class D Amps?

I have two Paradigm servo 15's that just aren't cutting it anymore, I am
hoping to be rid of them in a couple years. I have decided to build my own
sub system next time. I have am quite impressed with some of the stuff done
at:
http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelyb...-Gallery3.html
I would optimally like to build in at least 16-32 drivers(probably
transmission line), the construction aspect is not a problem, I am a little
baffled(pun intended) as to what sort of amplifier solution I should be
looking at. I feel that class D car audio stuff would probably be the most
cost effective, however I then run into the problem of rectifying power etc.
Anyone have any idea's on what would be optimal for powering lets say 16
shiva 15's

Arny Krueger

"AudioFan" audioguy@nospam wrote in message

I have two Paradigm servo 15's that just aren't cutting it anymore, I
am hoping to be rid of them in a couple years. I have decided to
build my own sub system next time. I have am quite impressed with
some of the stuff done at:
http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelyb...-Gallery3.html

Well you should be impressed. While some of this is probably overkill,
you'll get more sonic exciemtent for your money invested this way than in a
truckload of Shatki stones.

I would optimally like to build in at least 16-32 drivers(probably
transmission line), the construction aspect is not a problem,

I think if you started out with 1/4 or 1/8 as many drivers you'd probably
wonder what you were thinking.

I am a little baffled(pun intended) as to what sort of amplifier solution

should be looking at.

The amps can be mounted remotely, so fan-cooled pro audio amps can be very
effective.

I feel that class D car audio stuff would
probably be the most cost effective,

Car audio stuff looses a lot of its attraction once you include the cost and
hassle of coming up with enough 12 volt power.

however I then run into the problem of rectifying power etc.

Exactly.

Anyone have any idea's on what would be optimal for powering lets say 16

shiva 15's

http://www.behringer.com/EP2500/index.cfm?lang=ENG

start out with one, and add as required to provide desired SPLs.

Howard Ferstler

AudioFan wrote:

I have two Paradigm servo 15's that just aren't cutting it anymore, I am
hoping to be rid of them in a couple years.

I reviewed the updated version of that sub in issue 71 of
The Sensible Sound (Sept/Oct, 1998). It was able to generate
114 clean dB at 31.5 Hz at the listening position 17 feet
away in a 3,400 cubic foot listening room and could hit 110
dB at 20 Hz. Two such subs, positioned correctly, would be
able to add an additional 6 dB to those peaks in most rooms.

I do not know what you are listening to when you use those
subs for entertainment purposes, but it certainly cannot
involve a desire to have live-music realism with typical
recordings. Well, maybe you live in an airplane hangar, or
your idea of entertainment is rock music at live-performance
levels. If this is the case, be prepared to require the use
of a hearing aid well before middle age.

Heck, it is likely that you need one right now.

Howard Ferstler

Amps, more argument! Steve Grauman Car Audio 192 February 14th 04 05:17 PM
Directed Amplifiers Captain Howdy Car Audio 173 December 31st 03 11:42 AM
Ultimate system john Vacuum Tubes 35 December 29th 03 07:48 AM
Tons of stuff to sell - amps, head unit, processors, etc. Ge0 Car Audio 3 August 5th 03 04:24 AM
Class D vs Class A/B amps Sam Carleton Car Audio 14 July 25th 03 05:34 AM