Posted to rec.audio.tech
Norman Swartz

Default Does anyone make a beltless (/direct drive) audio cassette deck?

The belts on my Sony TC-K65 have become slack through disuse. Does any
manufacturer offer a tape deck that does not use belts?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias

"Norman Swartz" wrote in message
The belts on my Sony TC-K65 have become slack through disuse. Does any
manufacturer offer a tape deck that does not use belts?

A few have had direct-drive capstan motors and gear-motor driven reels.

Pioneer had a three-motor direct-drive in the '80s, the CT-9. Had fatal
flaws, a bad design.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Norman Swartz" wrote in message

The belts on my Sony TC-K65 have become slack through
disuse.

So get ahold of the nearest Sony parts center and get new ones! ;-)

Does any manufacturer offer a tape deck that
does not use belts?

Are you saying cassette or open reel?

Most open reel machines that are used for audio production have seperate
motors for the capstan and reels.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Robinson

Hi,

AFIK, the Tascam 122MKII is a 3 motor 2head, tape deck.

http://www.tascam.com/Products/112mkII.html

Not cheap at $1200. You can probably find a used 122 original on ebay for
much less.

Mark

"Norman Swartz" wrote in message
The belts on my Sony TC-K65 have become slack through disuse. Does any
manufacturer offer a tape deck that does not use belts?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Call up Haband, makers of the famous Sansabelt brand ;-)

I remember a Studer-Revox cassette deck being direct drive.

Actually, the belts are generally easy to replace. But for stereo
recording, it is worth looking into MiniDisc.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Google "vcr belts." I just did this, and got numerous hits for places
that have lots of belts with dimensions given. I suppose if your belts
have stretched, then you have to take that into consideration when you
measure them for new ones.