Dave

Default Explorer Stealthbox

Has anybody here installed a Stealthbox into a late-model Ford Explorer? I
just sold my 1994 Exploder with the fully concealed S'box which had a 10w1-4
driver inside. I just got a newer 2003 Explo and I want to put another JL
S'box into this one. The newer version:
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/EXPL2.html uses a 10w3-v2-D2 driver and I
was curious what the differences in sound might be.

dave

Tony Fernandes

I don't know for sure, but I imagine they're gonna sound very similar. Not
too much difference in those woofers, and the mounting location is nearly
identical, although on the opposite side. I personally like the "stealth"
look of the Stealthbox in the older Exploders behind the stock grill on the
passenger side. My '97 sounded freakin' great!!

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

"Dave" wrote in message
Has anybody here installed a Stealthbox into a late-model Ford Explorer? I
just sold my 1994 Exploder with the fully concealed S'box which had a

10w1-4
driver inside. I just got a newer 2003 Explo and I want to put another JL
S'box into this one. The newer version:
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/EXPL2.html uses a 10w3-v2-D2 driver and

was curious what the differences in sound might be.

dave

Erik Alvar

The 10W3 is an infinitely better sub than the 10W1.

I had a single 10" JL enclosure with a 10W1-4. Replaced it with a 10W3
(not v2) and was happily surprised by the difference in sound.

The 10W3 requires more power but is definitely worth it.

"Dave" wrote in message
Has anybody here installed a Stealthbox into a late-model Ford Explorer? I
just sold my 1994 Exploder with the fully concealed S'box which had a

10w1-4
driver inside. I just got a newer 2003 Explo and I want to put another JL
S'box into this one. The newer version:
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/EXPL2.html uses a 10w3-v2-D2 driver and

was curious what the differences in sound might be.

dave

Dave

That sounds promising, Erik. By "infinitely better", could you explain a
little more? Louder, tighter, or what?
I was running the older Stealthbox with an a/d/s P2110 bridged to mono so I
might be slightly underpowered
but in the ballpark.

dave

"Dave" wrote in message
Has anybody here installed a Stealthbox into a late-model Ford Explorer?

just sold my 1994 Exploder with the fully concealed S'box which had a

10w1-4
driver inside. I just got a newer 2003 Explo and I want to put another

JL
S'box into this one. The newer version:
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/EXPL2.html uses a 10w3-v2-D2 driver

and
was curious what the differences in sound might be.

dave

Jeff Albright

"Dave" wrote in
:

Has anybody here installed a Stealthbox into a late-model Ford
Explorer? I just sold my 1994 Exploder with the fully concealed S'box
which had a 10w1-4 driver inside. I just got a newer 2003 Explo and I
want to put another JL S'box into this one. The newer version:
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/EXPL2.html uses a 10w3-v2-D2 driver
and I was curious what the differences in sound might be.

dave

I had one like this installed in my 96 Explorer I purchased from
www.crutchfield.com, for just under 200.00 or so.

All Clarion Models Featu
OEM Integration Vehicle specific fit and finish
Plug and play wiring harness for easy installation both with OEM and
after-market radios
All have custom designed 8 inch 2 ohm polypropylene woofers except for
the PSWFSU which has a 10 inch 2 ohm woofer
Class D Mono Amplifier that produces 100 W at 13.8 V
Built-in 18 db/oct lowpass filter.
Crossed over at 75 Hz.01 THD at full power
10k ohms input impedance
Frequency response 20hz-90hz
RCA and High Level inputs
Sensitivity adjustment ranging from .25mV-5V

Problem was, it wasnt that Loud. Cause the guys from Best Buy (I know..I
know) didn't know that it had a gain knob on it. Also they wired it into
the hot wire for the rear speaker, which I found out was used to power
both front and back. When I had it serviced at a place specializing in
Car audio, They discovered this and turned the puppy up. And rewired my
sound system.
But even then, with a 100 watt amp, it just wasnt that loud, or that
clear. I purchased it to deter thieves. Wasnt long before I caught one
too. Tried to get my amp, which was visible in the cargo area. Damaged
my truck pretty bad too.

Also you had to turn it up as far as it would go. Even with my Sub-knob
antiquated at max on my Alpine CDA-7892, it wasnt enough. You would hear
the bass more on the driver's side. It did not fill the cabin uniformly.
On the passenger side, you hardly heard it at all. And it boomed
something awful; giving away its location. Although it was rated down to
20 Hz or so.
Got rid of that in favor of a sealed entry level Pioneer 12 inch. Now I
have more bass than I know what to do with.
jeff