Robert Easton

Default Subwoofer delema!!!

So right now i have a pair of JL 12w7's in a vented box being pushed by a
pair of fosgate 1050S's. My question is that I was thinking of trading them
for a triple 12W6v2 configuration in a sealed box. Can anyone give me any
ideas. The vehicle is a pathfinder. I would really like to hear some input
from you guys.

Scott Gardner

Why are you considering the swap? Are you unhappy in some way with
the sound of your current configuration?

I'm assuming you currently have each of your amps bridged mono,
delivering about 1000 Watts into each of the two 12W7s, right?

I think the only way you'll be able to run three 12W6s will be to use
only one of your amps. Wire the three subs series-parallel for an
overall load of 2.6 ohms. One of your RF 1050S amps bridged mono will
supply about 1000 Watts into the three subs. Their combined power
handling is around 1200 Watts, so you're in good shape there. The
2.6-ohm overall load is a little low for an amp that's only rated for
4-ohm mono operation, but if everything was working okay with the
3-ohm 12W7s, then 2.6 ohms isn't much lower.

The requirements for enclosure size won't change much. The
recommended vented enclosure for your W7s is 1.75 ft^3 per driver, or
3.5 ft^3 total. For the three 12W6s, the recommended sealed box size
is 1.25 ft^3 per driver, or 3.75 ft^3 total.

Again, I'm not sure what you're looking for out of the swap, but I
think your maximum SPL will be reduced, if that matters. You're going
from two subs to three, which would help SPL, but you're also going
from a vented box to a sealed box, and cutting your power in half if
you only use one of your amps in the new configuration.

Scott Gardner

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:12:16 -0600, "Robert Easton"
wrote:

So right now i have a pair of JL 12w7's in a vented box being pushed by a
pair of fosgate 1050S's. My question is that I was thinking of trading them
for a triple 12W6v2 configuration in a sealed box. Can anyone give me any
ideas. The vehicle is a pathfinder. I would really like to hear some input
from you guys.

EFFENDI

Robert Easton wrote:

So right now i have a pair of JL 12w7's in a vented box being pushed by a
pair of fosgate 1050S's. My question is that I was thinking of trading them
for a triple 12W6v2 configuration in a sealed box. Can anyone give me any
ideas. The vehicle is a pathfinder. I would really like to hear some input
from you guys.

Im a little confused. Can you tell us why you want to make the change?
W7s are pretty damn good subs if you ask me.

EFFENDI
Robert Easton

ok so maybe I wasnt very clear on my whole delema. Its not that im not happy
with the w7's is really just about change and how much i paid for them. The
w6v2 got really good reviews and i really like the sond of the w7s in a
sealed box but i dont get the otput of course. The triple 12w6v2
configuration gives me a bit more surface displacement even though the w7s
have about an inch more excursion over the w6v2s. as far as the lotal box
space, the triple w6v2s will be about 3.75^3 and the box for the ported w7s
is just over 4.7^3 including displaciment for slot ports. After all would be
done (selling the w7's and buying the w6v2's i would end up with an extra
$200 or so to upgrade components. I would also have an extra rockford 1050s
which I could sell. All said and done it would be easier on my electrical
system and should be about the same maybe even better at standard listening
levels. So what do you guys think?
"Robert Easton" wrote in message
So right now i have a pair of JL 12w7's in a vented box being pushed by a
pair of fosgate 1050S's. My question is that I was thinking of trading

them
for a triple 12W6v2 configuration in a sealed box. Can anyone give me any
ideas. The vehicle is a pathfinder. I would really like to hear some input
from you guys.

Peter Klein

Bob,
What type of vehicle are we talking about? If it's a car, then putting
twelve JL woofers in a sealed box facing the car behind you won't make for
very deep, tight, real sounding bass. Two woofers in a bandpass enclosure
with a partially external, square, port, exiting from the top of the box,
rising just enough to pass through your rear deck, would blow you away! One
JL woofer in such a box would deliver unbelieveable bass into the INTERIOR
of your car- a novel idea! Any know-not can make a sealed box and make it
look pretty in the trunk, but armed with the knowledge and the Thiel small
parameters which pertain to your JL woofers, a good enclosure maker can
fabricate a serious enclosure. Before you become brainwashed into thinking
that the best woofer is from JL, look at some others which are better and
cost less. P.

"Robert Easton" wrote in message
So right now i have a pair of JL 12w7's in a vented box being pushed by a
pair of fosgate 1050S's. My question is that I was thinking of trading

them
for a triple 12W6v2 configuration in a sealed box. Can anyone give me any
ideas. The vehicle is a pathfinder. I would really like to hear some input
from you guys.

Daniel Snooks

Peter Klein wrote
[...]

Unless he is driving a BMW that has a firewall behind the rear seat, you are
out to lunch.
Perhaps you would care to explain what difference it makes firing the
speakers towards the rear of the vehicle as opposed to firing forward? Also,
I have noticed that you have been flogging this idea of porting through the
rear deck all over the board lately. Do you even realize that this creates a
bandpass (not ported) enclosure? A great many people choose to use sealed
enclosures for two simple and persuasive reasons ... they are easy to build,
and they have the flatest reponse. But then I guess your one-size-fits-all
attitude doesn't allow for individuality.