Michael McKelvy

Default Let's do some critical listening

Since there is and probably always will be a division on the subject of LP
playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can describe how we each hear a
given recording that we have in common.

First decide on a recording that all who participate, have in common.
Next listen to it and focus on how you hear it, IOW where do each of us hear
the placement of the instruments and what sort of soundstage is presented.

Lastly, it would probably be best if all who participate post their comments
as close to the same time as all the others. This way nobody is being
influenced by the comments of others.

An equal number of persons from each side would probably be best, say 4-6 LP
listeners and an equal number of CD listeners.

The big question is what recordings would people have in common that might
be used?

James Taylor: Live?
Flim and the BB's: This is a recording?
Van Morrison: Astral Weeks?
Lyle Lovett: Joshua Judges Ruth?
The Crusaders: Healing the Wounds?
Copland: Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Fanfare for the Common Man
Louis Lane, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Telarc?
Beatles: Abbey Road?

Arny Krueger

Michael McKelvy wrote:
Since there is and probably always will be a division on the subject

of LP
playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can describe how we each

hear a
given recording that we have in common.

First decide on a recording that all who participate, have in common.
Next listen to it and focus on how you hear it, IOW where do each of

us hear
the placement of the instruments and what sort of soundstage is

presented.

I see at least one serious problem with this approach. Basically it
sets up a tournement of dueling speculations.

Michael McKelvy

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
ups.com...

Michael McKelvy wrote:
Since there is and probably always will be a division on the subject

of LP
playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can describe how we each

hear a
given recording that we have in common.

First decide on a recording that all who participate, have in common.
Next listen to it and focus on how you hear it, IOW where do each of

us hear
the placement of the instruments and what sort of soundstage is

presented.

I see at least one serious problem with this approach. Basically it
sets up a tournement of dueling speculations.

I just thought it would interesting to find out WHAT people are hearing from
their preferred playback devices.

Joseph Oberlander

Michael McKelvy wrote:

Since there is and probably always will be a division on the subject of LP
playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can describe how we each hear a
given recording that we have in common.

This qualifies as yet another "duh-Mikey" moment.

Q: what will he out-duh minself with next time? Stay tuned
to this channel...

Fella

Michael McKelvy wrote:

Next listen to it and focus on how you hear it,

Since you have the duh!monopoly on the duh!knowledge concerning what's
"audible" for humans, it should be a given that everyone would hear the
recordings as SAME!

IOW where do each of us hear
the placement of the instruments and what sort of soundstage is presented.

"the placement of the instruments" you say, and .. and "what sort of
soundstage" !! My, you must be deluded.

Fella

Michael McKelvy wrote:

Since there is and probably always will be a division on the subject

of LP

playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can describe how we each

hear a

given recording that we have in common.

First decide on a recording that all who participate, have in common.
Next listen to it and focus on how you hear it, IOW where do each of

us hear

the placement of the instruments and what sort of soundstage is

presented.

I see at least one serious problem with this approach. Basically it
sets up a tournement of dueling speculations.

I just thought it would interesting to find out WHAT people are hearing from
their preferred playback devices.

Now don't get arni the ****borg upset with that "find out WHAT people
are hearing" garbage. You must be deluded. It is a declared,
unequivocal, absolute, decided, incontestable, incontrovertible,
indisputable, indubitable, manifest, no catch, no ifs ands or buts, no
kicker, obvious, straightforward, unambiguous, uncontestable,
undeniable, undisputable, univocal, unmistakable, unquestionable
KOWNLEDGE that everyone will hear the SAME thing! So there.
Michael McKelvy

Michael McKelvy wrote:

[...]

How many other things do you believe that have never been said?

Michael McKelvy

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message
k.net...

Michael McKelvy wrote:

Since there is and probably always will be a division on the subject of
LP playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can describe how we each
hear a given recording that we have in common.

This qualifies as yet another "duh-Mikey" moment.

Q: what will he out-duh minself with next time? Stay tuned
to this channel...

Trying to describe what you hear is to tough for you?

I should have known that an audio discussion was impossible here.

Michael McKelvy

"Fella" wrote in message
Michael McKelvy wrote:

Next listen to it and focus on how you hear it,

Since you have the duh!monopoly on the duh!knowledge concerning what's
"audible" for humans, it should be a given that everyone would hear the
recordings as SAME!

If I thought that were true I wouldn't have suggested critical listening in
the first place. I am interested in finding out what differences people
hear, and what differences might be heard in LP vs. CD recordings of the
same material.

IOW where do each of us hear the placement of the instruments and what
sort of soundstage is presented.

"the placement of the instruments" you say, and .. and "what sort of
soundstage" !! My, you must be deluded.

Suggesting that several RAO regulars try and accomplish something like this,
probably. I thought it would be better to talk about audio for a change
rather than just sit around bashing each other.

Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
ups.com...

I see at least one serious problem with this approach. Basically it
sets up a tournement of dueling speculations.

A tournement has no competitors.

Michael McKelvy

"Paul Dormer" wrote in message
"Michael McKelvy" emitted :

Since you have the duh!monopoly on the duh!knowledge concerning what's
"audible" for humans, it should be a given that everyone would hear the
recordings as SAME!

If I thought that were true I wouldn't have suggested critical listening
in
the first place.

Clinical listening?

Is that what they call it on your ward?

IOW where do each of us hear the placement of the instruments and what
sort of soundstage is presented.

"the placement of the instruments" you say, and .. and "what sort of
soundstage" !! My, you must be deluded.

Suggesting that several RAO regulars try and accomplish something like
this,
probably. I thought it would be better to talk about audio for a change
rather than just sit around bashing each other.

I've just been listening to Lauryn Hill's "Miseducation of.." album..
perhaps you have some comments about instrument placement in the
soundstage... ;-)

Not an album I own.

Joseph Oberlander

Michael McKelvy wrote:
"Fella" wrote in message

Michael McKelvy wrote:

Next listen to it and focus on how you hear it,

Since you have the duh!monopoly on the duh!knowledge concerning what's
"audible" for humans, it should be a given that everyone would hear the
recordings as SAME!

If I thought that were true I wouldn't have suggested critical listening in
the first place. I am interested in finding out what differences people
hear, and what differences might be heard in LP vs. CD recordings of the
same material.

Dude - is this 2005 or 1985? Seriously. This has been done and re-done
to the point of ubsurdity. CD is better in all aspects, just like it
is compared to tape, so get over it.

Michael McKelvy

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message
news

Michael McKelvy wrote:
"Fella" wrote in message

Michael McKelvy wrote:

Next listen to it and focus on how you hear it,

Since you have the duh!monopoly on the duh!knowledge concerning what's
"audible" for humans, it should be a given that everyone would hear the
recordings as SAME!

If I thought that were true I wouldn't have suggested critical listening
in the first place. I am interested in finding out what differences
people hear, and what differences might be heard in LP vs. CD recordings
of the same material.

Dude - is this 2005 or 1985? Seriously. This has been done and re-done
to the point of ubsurdity. CD is better in all aspects, just like it
is compared to tape, so get over it.

You're preaching to the choir. I just wanted to see what, if any
differences the LP listeners might be hearing. Since they seem to wax
poetic about such a technically inferior format, I wondered what the deal
was.

Sander deWaal

"Michael McKelvy" said:

Since there is and probably always will be a division on the subject of LP
playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can describe how we each hear a
given recording that we have in common.

I listen to *music*, not a format.
I want to have both formats to sound as good as they can, however.

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "

Michael McKelvy

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
"Michael McKelvy" said:

Since there is and probably always will be a division on the subject of LP
playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can describe how we each hear a
given recording that we have in common.

I listen to *music*, not a format.
I want to have both formats to sound as good as they can, however.

--

I was thinking of the people who seem to think that LP is the superior
format. Trying to figure out what they get from that that the believe is

Sander deWaal

"Michael McKelvy" said:

Since there is and probably always will be a division on the subject of LP
playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can describe how we each hear a
given recording that we have in common.

I listen to *music*, not a format.
I want to have both formats to sound as good as they can, however.

I was thinking of the people who seem to think that LP is the superior
format. Trying to figure out what they get from that that the believe is
missing from CD.

I think Jim Johnston gave us a possible answer years ago:
Some people actually like the "euphonic distortion" that occurs with
LP playback, and, in a different way, in most tube amps.

I can live with that.

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Michael McKelvy

"Michael McKelvy" said:

Since there is and probably always will be a division on the subject of
LP
playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can describe how we each hear
given recording that we have in common.

I listen to *music*, not a format.
I want to have both formats to sound as good as they can, however.

I was thinking of the people who seem to think that LP is the superior
format. Trying to figure out what they get from that that the believe is
missing from CD.

I think Jim Johnston gave us a possible answer years ago:
Some people actually like the "euphonic distortion" that occurs with
LP playback, and, in a different way, in most tube amps.

I can live with that.

--

So can I, never had a problem with preference. I was just trying to get an
idea of what they HEAR that makes some prefer LP over CD.

I know why I like CD better, it always sounds better due to increased
definition. I hear the Cymbals better, and percussion always sounds tighter
and, for lack of a better word, faster. I can tell a difference in quality
in the recordings I have that still use the codes AAD, ADD, and DDD. To me
DDD sounds better. I like the fact that when I play a CD, I hear the music
and only the music, no surface noise lead in.

I understand some people don't mind the surface noise before the music
starts and then is masked by the music if it's loud enough. I understand
that very often there is a different mix for LP with loud sounds made softer
and soft sounds made louder and that is another matter of preference. What
I don't understand is people who insist that LP is more revealing, or has
more "microdynamics." These are claims that just don't hold up on scrutiny.

Preference is preference and there's no argument that different people
prefer different things. My call for some critical listening was to try and
get descriptions that helped me understand what, if anything, is different
in what they hear.

It's sad that even a request for information results in yet another flame
fest.

Ruud Broens

: "Michael McKelvy" said:
:
[...]
: --
: Sander de Waal
: " SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "

Well, there is also to consider the fact that a lot of material
has, up to now, only been published in LP format
Rusy

Bruce J. Richman

Ruud Broen wrote:

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
.. .
: "Michael McKelvy" said:
:
[...]

While it is admittedly hard to define nad rather vague, I think that you'll
find that a lot of vinyl enthusiasts will tell you that compared to the sound
of live performances, vinyl comes closer. IOW, it sounds more "real". I
suspect this has to do with a mixture of both depth perception re. the
soundstage in many cases, and also a sense of more "body", whether it be in the
sound of the vocalist or of instruments. While these things are difficult to
operationally define in terms of specific measurements, these observations
appear to be quite common among vinyl enthusiasts. It also appears that this
experience occurs among some younger listeners, who, after hearing some vinyl
comparisons vs. digital playback of the same material, decide to invest in
vinyl playback equipment.

Another variable that sometimes is raised, although less so in newer digital
recordings, is the well-known "digititis" or overly bright sound of some
digital recordings compared to the same recordings on vinyl. This, of course,
is a matter of taste, as well.

Personally, I have many enjoyable examples in my own collection of both
formats, as well as some real lousy recordings in both.

Bruce J. Richman

Michael McKelvy

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message
Ruud Broen wrote:

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
. ..
: "Michael McKelvy" said:
:
[...]

That's part of the problem I have with such descriptions, how can more
distorted sound more real?

[...]

And most likely has to with the fact that digital can record amd playback
such sounds with much more accuracy. Then the problem becomes how well can
the speakers handle such sounds.

Personally, I have many enjoyable examples in my own collection of both
formats, as well as some real lousy recordings in both.

There's no way to get a sows ear to become a silk purse, unless of course
you remix or re-record.

Michael McKelvy

"Paul Dormer" wrote in message
"Michael McKelvy" emitted :

I've just been listening to Lauryn Hill's "Miseducation of.." album..
perhaps you have some comments about instrument placement in the
soundstage... ;-)

Not an album I own.

What albums have you got?

By Lauren Hill? None. Probably a oversight. When she sings as she did in
Sister Act II, she is ****ing amazing. It's the rap stuff I simply don't
care for.

Sander deWaal

"Michael McKelvy" said:

Preference is preference and there's no argument that different people
prefer different things. My call for some critical listening was to try and
get descriptions that helped me understand what, if anything, is different
in what they hear.

Bruce's reply as well as the quotes by Paul Dormer and me from JJ are
probably the best answer. I wouldn't know of anything else that comes
into play.

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Clyde Slick

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message
ink.net...

. Trying to figure out what they get from that that the believe is missing
from CD.

Do you teach Krooglish courses over the internet? How
much do you charge?

Michael McKelvy

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message
ink.net...

. Trying to figure out what they get from that that the believe is missing
from CD.

Do you teach Krooglish courses over the internet? How
much do you charge?

Getting desperate again?

Trying to figure out what they get from LP's that they think is missing from
CD's.

Michael McKelvy

"Paul Dormer" wrote in message
"Michael McKelvy" emitted :

I've just been listening to Lauryn Hill's "Miseducation of.." album..
perhaps you have some comments about instrument placement in the
soundstage... ;-)

Not an album I own.

What albums have you got?

By Lauren Hill? None. Probably a oversight. When she sings as she did in
Sister Act II, she is ****ing amazing. It's the rap stuff I simply don't
care for.

Buy the album - it's a classic. Skip the rapz. The melodic refrain of
"To Zion", once heard a few times, shall be imprinted on thy inner
mind permanently.

I hope it's better than the Alicia Keyes disk I recently purchased.
Crushing sameness, thumping bass, but then Lauren has ten times the voice.
Not much in the way of a mix. Give me something like Astral Weeks,
Moondance, or Santana and I'm a happy audiophile and a happy listener.

Joseph Oberlander

Bruce J. Richman wrote:

Another variable that sometimes is raised, although less so in newer digital
recordings, is the well-known "digititis" or overly bright sound of some
digital recordings compared to the same recordings on vinyl. This, of course,
is a matter of taste, as well.

This is almost always a case of poor engineering. Just because it is
"digital", all too many engineers think that they have to do less
work than before.

Clyde Slick

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message
ink.net...

. Trying to figure out what they get from that that the believe is
missing from CD.

Do you teach Krooglish courses over the internet? How
much do you charge?

Getting desperate again?

Trying to figure out what they get from LP's that they think is missing
from CD's.

Goodie!
I got a free lesson.

Arny Krueger

"Michael McKelvy" said:

Since there is and probably always will be a division on the
subject of LP playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can
describe how we each hear a given recording that we have in common.

I listen to *music*, not a format.
I want to have both formats to sound as good as they can, however.

I was thinking of the people who seem to think that LP is the
superior format. Trying to figure out what they get from that that
the believe is missing from CD.

I think Jim Johnston gave us a possible answer years ago:
Some people actually like the "euphonic distortion" that occurs with
LP playback, and, in a different way, in most tube amps.

One of Jim's failings was that he gave way too much quarter to idiots. In
the end it got him, he let himself be bought.

On Usenet, vinylphilia and tubophilia are just a ways that some poor lost
people have of expressing their desire to be special.

In real life, they are probably mostly about sentimentality but again the
"I'm special because I have tubes and/or vinyl" theme is there.

Clyde Slick

"Michael McKelvy" said:

[...]

Everybody has something about them that makes them special.
In your case, its having ****-for-brains.

Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" said:

[...]

Another helpful and friendly response from Arny.

Now do you understand what gets him into trouble?

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Lionel

Sander deWaal a écrit :

Another helpful and friendly response from Arny.

Now do you understand what gets him into trouble?

What's new Sander ?
Krueger is insane ? What a scoop !!!!
Don't you think that Middius is "at least" as insane as him ?

Watch carefully the thread I'm having with Dave Weil and you will
understand the danger to spend "too much" time to prove that Krueger is
wrong. :-(

Sander deWaal

Lionel said:

Another helpful and friendly response from Arny.

Now do you understand what gets him into trouble?

What's new Sander ?
Krueger is insane ? What a scoop !!!!
Don't you think that Middius is "at least" as insane as him ?

I don't think so.
I also don't think that Arny is insane, but merely annoying and
soliciting counter attacking.
And Middius "at least" has a sense of humor.

Watch carefully the thread I'm having with Dave Weil and you will
understand the danger to spend "too much" time to prove that Krueger is
wrong. :-(

I'm not trying to prove that Arny is wrong, just that he brings it on
himself.

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Lionel

Sander deWaal a écrit :

I don't think so.
I also don't think that Arny is insane, but merely annoying and
soliciting counter attacking.
And Middius "at least" has a sense of humor.

Good, "at least" you have sense of humour...

Watch carefully the thread I'm having with Dave Weil and you will
understand the danger to spend "too much" time to prove that Krueger is
wrong. :-(

I'm not trying to prove that Arny is wrong, just that he brings it on
himself.

Did I said anything about you, Sander ? Don't try to bring it on yourself...

Sander deWaal

Lionel said:

Did I said anything about you, Sander ? Don't try to bring it on yourself...

Trust me © , I'm not. :-)

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Michael McKelvy

"Michael McKelvy" said:

Since there is and probably always will be a division on the
subject of LP playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can
describe how we each hear a given recording that we have in common.

I listen to *music*, not a format.
I want to have both formats to sound as good as they can, however.

I was thinking of the people who seem to think that LP is the
superior format. Trying to figure out what they get from that that
the believe is missing from CD.

I think Jim Johnston gave us a possible answer years ago:
Some people actually like the "euphonic distortion" that occurs with
LP playback, and, in a different way, in most tube amps.

One of Jim's failings was that he gave way too much quarter to idiots. In
the end it got him, he let himself be bought.

Bought by whom? Where did he go?

On Usenet, vinylphilia and tubophilia are just a ways that some poor lost
people have of expressing their desire to be special.

In real life, they are probably mostly about sentimentality but again the
"I'm special because I have tubes and/or vinyl" theme is there.

Possibly but some folks are just as snobby about their SS amps.

Lionel

Sander deWaal a écrit :
Lionel said:

Did I said anything about you, Sander ? Don't try to bring it on yourself...

Trust me © , I'm not. :-)

Don't worry I trust you...
Goofball_star_dot_etal

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:53:22 +0000, Paul Dormer
wrote:

"Arny Krueger" emitted :

Since there is and probably always will be a division on the
subject of LP playback vs. CD playback, let's see if we can
describe how we each hear a given recording that we have in common.

I listen to *music*, not a format.
I want to have both formats to sound as good as they can, however.

I was thinking of the people who seem to think that LP is the
superior format. Trying to figure out what they get from that that
the believe is missing from CD.

I think Jim Johnston gave us a possible answer years ago:
Some people actually like the "euphonic distortion" that occurs with
LP playback, and, in a different way, in most tube amps.

One of Jim's failings was that he gave way too much quarter to idiots. In
the end it got him, he let himself be bought.

This is what's known as stabbing someone in the back.

S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t
-----------------------------------
It's Grim down south..

I had to laugh when I found out about the fraud. He must have nearly
died! Stab no.2!
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+fraud++lucent

Paul Dormer wrote:
"Arny Krueger" emitted :

[...]

This is what's known as very typical Krueger behavior.

Bruce J. Richman

S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t
It's Grim down south..