TonyAtRest

Default Denon AVR-1801 shuts down

I have a Denon AVR-1801 receiver that shut down while watching a DVD commentary
track at low volume and now everytime I turn it back on it shuts down again
after about 5 seconds. I re-set it ("Initialization of the Micoprocessor") but
it still shuts down. I have had it about 4 years and this is the first
problem, but it is of course no longer under warranty. Is it worth having
someone look at it which I assume will cost at least 50 bucks just to take it
in? Or should I just forget it and buy a new one because even if I get it
fixed pretty cheap, I will still have a 4 year old unit which would be likely
to break down again soon. I have a low budget right now, going through a
divorce. Thanks...

Tony

"I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."

Buzzcocks, 1976
Mark D. Zacharias

There is a common problem which I'm not positive pertains to your model;
it's a resistor or two in the power supply which fail and need to be
replaced with a slightly different type.
It's a fairly routine repair, but since the disassembly involved is major,
even 50.00 probably won't cover it.

More like 100.00....

The Denon models don't deteriorate like you suggest, though, and it has
modern features. If you like it, have it fixed and keep using it.

Mark Z.

"TonyAtRest" wrote in message
[...]

TonyAtRest

They said they would not charge me to look at it so I am on the way over there
now to drop it off. Thanks for the reply, I think I would pay $100.00 but not
much more because I could replace it with a brand new one for not a lot more
although not nearly as good a quality I imagine.

Tony

[...]

TonyAtRest

If they're not Denon authorized, they might not know about this one. 1 ohm
flameproof resistors in the power supply must be changed to .22 ohm 1 watt.

It is the same place I bought it so I am sure they are. They repaired the
Denon DVD player I bought there that was still under warranty. They made me
commit to a maximum of $200.00 (lowered from $250.00 because I don't want to
spend that much. I really don't want to spend any more than about $150.00 but
I imagine any new receiver I get for that cheap will be a disappointment after
the Denon. The guy who sold it to me thinks it should be no more than $150.00
to repair. But if it is over $200.00 I still have to pay the $50.00 minimum
and then buy a new one anyway.

So I gotta wait and see what happens....

Tony

"I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."

Buzzcocks, 1976

Mark D. Zacharias

I understand this can all be a bit frustrating. The good news is the Denon
is so much better than a lot of it's competition, it's actually worth fixing
when something like this happens.

[...]

TonyAtRest

I understand this can all be a bit frustrating. The good news is the Denon
is so much better than a lot of it's competition, it's actually worth fixing
when something like this happens.

It ended up costing $120.88 for "resistors R141 and R142." Sounds like you
were right. Cost was 88c for parts and $120.00 for labor. Thanks for your
help.