Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Hjalmar Hjalmar is offline

Default Active speakers

Dear All,

I am considering switching over to active speakers for my setup.
The reason is not that I have won the jackpot, but that I am looking
to reduce boxes and clutter.
I have heard active speakers before and was impressed by their
directness.
One of the things that matters to me in listening is timing. When I
hear a snare drum it should be a "fast" sound.

Now to the crux of the story:
what lower priced active speakers can you recommend for using in a
moderate sized living room (35 m2)?
By the way I am in Lebanon so few brands are available.

Currently I am using Spendor 2000's with an Onkyo THX receiver.

Thanks in advance,

Hjalmar Dijkstra

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:52:33 -0700, Hjalmar wrote
(in article ):

Dear All,

I am considering switching over to active speakers for my setup.
The reason is not that I have won the jackpot, but that I am looking
to reduce boxes and clutter.
I have heard active speakers before and was impressed by their
directness.
One of the things that matters to me in listening is timing. When I
hear a snare drum it should be a "fast" sound.

Now to the crux of the story:
what lower priced active speakers can you recommend for using in a
moderate sized living room (35 m2)?
By the way I am in Lebanon so few brands are available.

Currently I am using Spendor 2000's with an Onkyo THX receiver.

Thanks in advance,

Hjalmar Dijkstra

I think that Behringer products are sold in Lebanon. If so, you'd find it
hard to beat the B2031As.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B2031A.aspx

at $270 each US, they are an unqualified bargain.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] zekor@comcast.net is offline

Too broad a statement. All active speakers are not the same. Not wired
the same and not designed the same. Also you give no size or range of
frequencies needed. and what
format, 3 piece, 4 piece, two piece ?? You also do not describe your
SETUP or volume requirements.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] klausrampelmann@hotmail.com is offline

On 9 jun, 23:52, Hjalmar wrote:
One of the things that matters to me in listening is timing. When I
hear a snare drum it should be a "fast" sound.

For "good timing" you'd need good impulse response, low group delay
(more critical in the bass region) and a clean waterfall plot, such as

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/o500c_imp_response_250.gif/$File/o500c_imp_response_250.gif
http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/o500c_group_delay_250.gif/$File/o500c_group_delay_250.gif
http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/o500c_spectral_250.gif/$File/o500c_spectral_250.gif

Now to the crux of the story:
what lower priced active speakers can you recommend for using in a
moderate sized living room (35 m2)?

Ou living room is about 42m2, when playing my small Genelec 8020B
(http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/8020b/) they perform
surprisingly well. They play really loud without audible distortion,
obviously they'd need some subwoofer support for the deeper bass
(below 60 Hz or so). Imaging is not quite as good as with my main 3-
way monitors (see above graphs), but is vey acceptable (from judging
tracks specially selected/generated for that purpose on EBU SQAM CD,
Chesky JD37). Price over here is about EUR 300/piece (about $360).

Klaus

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Hjalmar Hjalmar is offline

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein...urces/o50...h=

ttp://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/o50...http=
://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/o50...

Now to the crux of the story:
what lower priced active speakers can you recommend for using in a
moderate sized living room (35 m2)?

Ou living room is about 42m2, when playing my small Genelec 8020B
(http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/8020b/) they perform
surprisingly well. They play really loud without audible distortion,
obviously they'd need some subwoofer support for the deeper bass
(below 60 Hz or so). Imaging is not quite as good as with my main 3-
way monitors (see above graphs), but is vey acceptable (from judging
tracks specially selected/generated for that purpose on EBU SQAM CD,
Chesky JD37). Price over here is about EUR 300/piece (about $360).

Klaus

Dear Klaus,

I'll try to find a upplier of Genelec out here and see if I can listen
to them.
I remember reading about small active speakers from Quad and Dynaudio,
I know those brands but from pricing they are much dearer than the
Genelec and Behringer speakers.

Of course I could always get some plate amps and fit out my old
Spendor BC-1's with an amp. I still have an active BC-1 lying around
with water damage. However the spouse acceptance factor of these
bigger speakers is low.

Does anybody have experience with the Hypex modules for activating
speakers? They have a dsp controlled 2-way plate amp for euro 250.
Just a bit cheaper than a competley finished Genelec .......

Thanks so far for your comments,

Hjalmar