Trey Bradshaw

Default MTX Amplifier Reliability

What's the story with the newer MTX Thunder Amps? I've been trying to find
an inexpensive 250-350w @ 2ohms monoblock and I keep running across the same
story on eBay about busted MTX amps. There are a half dozen always on there
that are refurbs, another half dozen that are fried, and another set that
are AS IS.

See this one:
&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1
---"I fried it about 2 months ago, but it was under warantee so I sent it
to MTX and they fixed it."

There are 2 or 3 more up right now with pretty much the same story. Are
these amps just unreliable, or is it just coincidental that so many are up
on eBay that are broken? I'd rather spend another $50 if it means I don't
have to buy another amp in a year...

Anyway, just looking to see if that's one I need to stay away from or not.
Any suggestions on something better in that power range would be
appreciated.

trey

MZ

What's the story with the newer MTX Thunder Amps? I've been trying to find
an inexpensive 250-350w @ 2ohms monoblock and I keep running across the

same
story on eBay about busted MTX amps. There are a half dozen always on

there
that are refurbs, another half dozen that are fried, and another set that
are AS IS.

See this one:

&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1
---"I fried it about 2 months ago, but it was under warantee so I sent it
to MTX and they fixed it."

There are 2 or 3 more up right now with pretty much the same story. Are
these amps just unreliable, or is it just coincidental that so many are up
on eBay that are broken? I'd rather spend another $50 if it means I don't
have to buy another amp in a year...

It's coincidental. IMO, as someone who's actually repaired several MTX
amps, they're one of the more reliable designs out there. I suspect what
you're seeing is reflecting the fact that MTX amps are very popular (and you
also need to keep in mind the type of person who generally buys them).
There are a lot of them out there, so naturally there will be a higher
percentage of broken ones.

CaptHowdy

The answer to your question is, liquidated store returns. These MTX amps that
you see broken on Ebay are store returns from Circuit City, BestBuy, and
Futureshop Canada. These stores offer extended warrantees and some of these
stores even offer "over the counter" exchange warrantees (no wait for repairs
warrantees). Since none of these stores sell remanufactured products, all of
these items get liquidated. There is a big company in the USA, that I can not
name. These items get sent to this company for liquidation.
A jobber (licensed liquidator) then buys these items from this company as
salvage for about 15% to 30% of the wholesale price. These items are sold by
pallets and truckloads. Due to rules that have to be followed under the
Jobbers agreement with these stores, 90% of these salvage items are sold on
online auction sites, such as Ebay. The best selling store returns are
electronics, and the above stores are the biggest liquidators of electronic
and they all sell MTX amps. You might of also noticed that there are a lot of
broken Bazooka, and Pioneer amps on Ebay, all products of the above stores,
The only reason MTX out numbers them all is because MTX amps sell more then
the others. Hope this helps.

In article , "Trey Bradshaw"
wrote:
[...]

ALL amps are equal?? Pug Fugley Car Audio 60 August 17th 04 03:33 AM
Clean Power? Dylan X Car Audio 99 January 7th 04 04:02 PM
FS: SOUNDSTREAM CLOSEOUTS AND MORE!! Nexxon Car Audio 0 November 21st 03 02:59 AM