Patrick D. Rockwell

Default Headphones Wanted.

Awhile back, I bought some headphones from RadioShack which had an on/off
switch on them. After awhile, they got old and I through them
out. Today when I called RadioShack, I asked if they had any like those, and
they said no.

The reason that I ask is because I have some plugged into my laptop right
now, and when they are plugged in, they work but the laptop
speakers turn off. To re-activate the laptop speakers, I must unplug the
headphones. I was wondering if there were still any which had an
on/off switch on them so that I could leave them plugged into my laptop ALL
the time, and when I want to hear my laptop speakers, I can
just throw the swithch instead of unplugging the headphones. If not, is
there an adaptor?

I guess the common question is "Why not just unplug the speakers?". Well,
this is just the way I want to do it. :-) Thanks in advance for any
information that you can give me.

BTW, are there any such thing as Dolby Headphones? The guy at RadioShack
never heard of them. :-)

--
-------------------------------
Patrick D. Rockwell

dadiOH

Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
[...]

Don't know about headphones themselves but there are switches you can plug
both headphones and your speakers into and switch from one to anothe. I
have one, don't recall where I got it...sorry.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
Get it at http://www.gbronline.com/xico/
_________________________________

James Nipper

I doubt very much that the earphones with an inline switch actually turned
your laptop speakers on and off. That is almost always a function of the
mechanical workings of the earphone plug itself, which disables your
speakers when you push the plug in. If you had one of those earphone
plugs (plug only) and pushed it in to the laptop , it would turn the
speakers off, mechanically of course.

Could be wrong, but I think others will likely agree to the assessment.

Hope this helps.......

--James--

Patrick D. Rockwell

"Bill in Co." wrote in message
k.net...
This is the same as the previous post (dated 4 minutes ago). What gives?

I made that post and then quickly canceled it because I forgot to add
another question which I made in my second post. My second question
is "What are Dolby Headphones? Where can I get them?" I asked that guy in
Radio Shack, and he never heard of them. :-( He talked as if
there were no such thing, but I've read talk of them on the web.

--
-------------------------------
Patrick D. Rockwell

Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
[...]

-=ô;ö=-

"Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote in message
. com...
| Awhile back, I bought some headphones from RadioShack which had an on/off
| switch on them. After awhile, they got old and I through them
| out. Today when I called RadioShack, I asked if they had any like those, and
| they said no.
|
| The reason that I ask is because I have some plugged into my laptop right
| now, and when they are plugged in, they work but the laptop
| speakers turn off. To re-activate the laptop speakers, I must unplug the
| headphones. I was wondering if there were still any which had an
| on/off switch on them so that I could leave them plugged into my laptop ALL
| the time, and when I want to hear my laptop speakers, I can
| just throw the swithch instead of unplugging the headphones. If not, is
| there an adaptor?
|
| I guess the common question is "Why not just unplug the speakers?". Well,
| this is just the way I want to do it. :-) Thanks in advance for any
| information that you can give me.
|
| BTW, are there any such thing as Dolby Headphones? The guy at RadioShack
| never heard of them. :-)
|
| --
| -------------------------------
| Patrick D. Rockwell

The best headphones I have found at R/S are the small titanium one with the vol control on
the cable..they sound fantastic on my Expanium unit and computer...and why Dolby, it just
dulls the sound..just adjust your EQ bands...

-=ô;ö=-

"Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote in message
. com...
| Awhile back, I bought some headphones from RadioShack which had an on/off
| switch on them. After awhile, they got old and I through them
| out. Today when I called RadioShack, I asked if they had any like those, and
| they said no.
|
| The reason that I ask is because I have some plugged into my laptop right
| now, and when they are plugged in, they work but the laptop
| speakers turn off. To re-activate the laptop speakers, I must unplug the
| headphones. I was wondering if there were still any which had an
| on/off switch on them so that I could leave them plugged into my laptop ALL
| the time, and when I want to hear my laptop speakers, I can
| just throw the swithch instead of unplugging the headphones. If not, is
| there an adaptor?
|
| I guess the common question is "Why not just unplug the speakers?". Well,
| this is just the way I want to do it. :-) Thanks in advance for any
| information that you can give me.
|
| BTW, are there any such thing as Dolby Headphones? The guy at RadioShack
| never heard of them. :-)
|
| --
| -------------------------------
| Patrick D. Rockwell

The best headphones I have found at R/S are the small titanium one with the vol control on
the cable..they sound fantastic on my Expanium unit and computer...and why Dolby, it just
dulls the sound..just adjust your EQ bands...

CQ

Patrick D. Rockwell said...

"What are Dolby Headphones? Where can I get them?" I asked that guy in
Radio Shack, and he never heard of them. :-( He talked as if
there were no such thing,

It is processing technology not headphones, per se. Dolby says it works
with any stereo headphones.

http://www.dolby.com/dolbyheadphone/
--
CQ

fred-bloggs

"Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote in
. com:

My second question
is "What are Dolby Headphones? Where can I get them?" I asked that guy
in Radio Shack, and he never heard of them. :-( He talked as if
there were no such thing, but I've read talk of them on the web.

If you are after "surround sound" headphones:

The Sony MDR-DS5100 is an "Advanced Headphone System, the World's First
Headphone System to carry both the Virtual Dolby Digital Certification
and DTS (Digital Theater Systems) Virtual" $500
http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review256.html

The Zalman XM-RS6F 5.1 Surround Headphones are 6 channel - $50
http://www.cooltechzone.com/reviews/...zhphones_1.php

--
fred

James Nipper

Yes, but what was your response to this answer to your original post??

--James--

---------------------------------

I doubt very much that the earphones with an inline switch actually turned
your laptop speakers on and off. That is almost always a function of the
mechanical workings of the earphone plug itself, which disables your
speakers when you push the plug in. If you had one of those earphone
plugs (plug only) and pushed it in to the laptop , it would turn the
speakers off, mechanically of course.

Could be wrong, but I think others will likely agree to the assessment.

Hope this helps.......

--James

Patrick D. Rockwell

"-=ô;ö=-" wrote in message

"Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote in message
. com...
| Awhile back, I bought some headphones from RadioShack which had an

on/off
| switch on them. After awhile, they got old and I through them
| out. Today when I called RadioShack, I asked if they had any like those,

and
| they said no.
|
| The reason that I ask is because I have some plugged into my laptop

right
| now, and when they are plugged in, they work but the laptop
| speakers turn off. To re-activate the laptop speakers, I must unplug the
| headphones. I was wondering if there were still any which had an
| on/off switch on them so that I could leave them plugged into my laptop

ALL
| the time, and when I want to hear my laptop speakers, I can
| just throw the swithch instead of unplugging the headphones. If not, is
| there an adaptor?
|
| I guess the common question is "Why not just unplug the speakers?".

Well,
| this is just the way I want to do it. :-) Thanks in advance for any
| information that you can give me.
|
| BTW, are there any such thing as Dolby Headphones? The guy at RadioShack
| never heard of them. :-)
|
| --
| -------------------------------
| Patrick D. Rockwell

The best headphones I have found at R/S are the small titanium one with

the vol control on
the cable..they sound fantastic on my Expanium unit and computer...and why

Dolby, it just
dulls the sound..just adjust your EQ bands...

Lately, I've really gotten to like MusicMatch software which plays Music
files, because its newest version 8.1 allows you to download
MP3 Music from their server for $0.99 a pop. I want to get all the bells and
whistles that I can for MusicMatch. One of the sound
enhancers that I've installed is called the "Lake PLS With Dolby
Headphones". Well, I bought some $12.00 headphones and tried
them with Lake PLS, and was somewhat underwellmed. So, I'm going to
get Dolby Headphones and see who they work.

Patrick D. Rockwell

"-=ô;ö=-" wrote in message

"Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote in message
. com...
| Awhile back, I bought some headphones from RadioShack which had an

on/off
| switch on them. After awhile, they got old and I through them
| out. Today when I called RadioShack, I asked if they had any like those,

and
| they said no.
|
| The reason that I ask is because I have some plugged into my laptop

right
| now, and when they are plugged in, they work but the laptop
| speakers turn off. To re-activate the laptop speakers, I must unplug the
| headphones. I was wondering if there were still any which had an
| on/off switch on them so that I could leave them plugged into my laptop

ALL
| the time, and when I want to hear my laptop speakers, I can
| just throw the swithch instead of unplugging the headphones. If not, is
| there an adaptor?
|
| I guess the common question is "Why not just unplug the speakers?".

Well,
| this is just the way I want to do it. :-) Thanks in advance for any
| information that you can give me.
|
| BTW, are there any such thing as Dolby Headphones? The guy at RadioShack
| never heard of them. :-)
|
| --
| -------------------------------
| Patrick D. Rockwell

The best headphones I have found at R/S are the small titanium one with

the vol control on
the cable..they sound fantastic on my Expanium unit and computer...and why

Dolby, it just
dulls the sound..just adjust your EQ bands...

Lately, I've really gotten to like MusicMatch software which plays Music
files, because its newest version 8.1 allows you to download
MP3 Music from their server for $0.99 a pop. I want to get all the bells and
whistles that I can for MusicMatch. One of the sound
enhancers that I've installed is called the "Lake PLS With Dolby
Headphones". Well, I bought some $12.00 headphones and tried
them with Lake PLS, and was somewhat underwellmed. So, I'm going to
get Dolby Headphones and see who they work.

-=ô;ö=-

Sounds like Synheiser's may be just what you are looking for...I tried the Lake plugin and
did not do a thing for me, just unnecessary $$ into a trash can..if was for home console,
maybe it would be of some use with old cassette tapes and vinyl records and concert
bootlegs, but a waste for (IMHO) 98% of digital media..

You may actually wish to get out of MMJB for anything other than ripping and check out
WinAmp 5 beta, besides it is free(AOL crap is optional now and actually does not install
when told not to) and can use a lot of the ver 2.xx plugins to achieve what you are doing
for $$, for free and bettter quality than MMJB...WA5b2(much less resource hogg than
2.xx/3.xx vers) is not at their site, but from most download sites, like ZDNet and
CNet....oh and they did have a Lake plugin available at one time at WinAmp.com

"Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote in message
om...

| "-=ô;ö=-" wrote in message
|
| "Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote in message
| . com...
| | Awhile back, I bought some headphones from RadioShack which had an
| on/off
| | switch on them. After awhile, they got old and I through them
| | out. Today when I called RadioShack, I asked if they had any like those,
| and
| | they said no.
| |
| | The reason that I ask is because I have some plugged into my laptop
| right
| | now, and when they are plugged in, they work but the laptop
| | speakers turn off. To re-activate the laptop speakers, I must unplug the
| | headphones. I was wondering if there were still any which had an
| | on/off switch on them so that I could leave them plugged into my laptop
| ALL
| | the time, and when I want to hear my laptop speakers, I can
| | just throw the swithch instead of unplugging the headphones. If not, is
| | there an adaptor?
| |
| | I guess the common question is "Why not just unplug the speakers?".
| Well,
| | this is just the way I want to do it. :-) Thanks in advance for any
| | information that you can give me.
| |
| | BTW, are there any such thing as Dolby Headphones? The guy at RadioShack
| | never heard of them. :-)
| |
| | --
| | -------------------------------
| | Patrick D. Rockwell
| |
| The best headphones I have found at R/S are the small titanium one with
| the vol control on
| the cable..they sound fantastic on my Expanium unit and computer...and why
| Dolby, it just
| dulls the sound..just adjust your EQ bands...
|
| Lately, I've really gotten to like MusicMatch software which plays Music
| files, because its newest version 8.1 allows you to download
| MP3 Music from their server for $0.99 a pop. I want to get all the bells and
| whistles that I can for MusicMatch. One of the sound
| enhancers that I've installed is called the "Lake PLS With Dolby
| Headphones". Well, I bought some $12.00 headphones and tried
| them with Lake PLS, and was somewhat underwellmed. So, I'm going to
| get Dolby Headphones and see who they work.

-=ô;ö=-

Sounds like Synheiser's may be just what you are looking for...I tried the Lake plugin and
did not do a thing for me, just unnecessary $$ into a trash can..if was for home console,
maybe it would be of some use with old cassette tapes and vinyl records and concert
bootlegs, but a waste for (IMHO) 98% of digital media..

You may actually wish to get out of MMJB for anything other than ripping and check out
WinAmp 5 beta, besides it is free(AOL crap is optional now and actually does not install
when told not to) and can use a lot of the ver 2.xx plugins to achieve what you are doing
for $$, for free and bettter quality than MMJB...WA5b2(much less resource hogg than
2.xx/3.xx vers) is not at their site, but from most download sites, like ZDNet and
CNet....oh and they did have a Lake plugin available at one time at WinAmp.com

"Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote in message
om...

| "-=ô;ö=-" wrote in message
|
| "Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote in message
| . com...
| | Awhile back, I bought some headphones from RadioShack which had an
| on/off
| | switch on them. After awhile, they got old and I through them
| | out. Today when I called RadioShack, I asked if they had any like those,
| and
| | they said no.
| |
| | The reason that I ask is because I have some plugged into my laptop
| right
| | now, and when they are plugged in, they work but the laptop
| | speakers turn off. To re-activate the laptop speakers, I must unplug the
| | headphones. I was wondering if there were still any which had an
| | on/off switch on them so that I could leave them plugged into my laptop
| ALL
| | the time, and when I want to hear my laptop speakers, I can
| | just throw the swithch instead of unplugging the headphones. If not, is
| | there an adaptor?
| |
| | I guess the common question is "Why not just unplug the speakers?".
| Well,
| | this is just the way I want to do it. :-) Thanks in advance for any
| | information that you can give me.
| |
| | BTW, are there any such thing as Dolby Headphones? The guy at RadioShack
| | never heard of them. :-)
| |
| | --
| | -------------------------------
| | Patrick D. Rockwell
| |
| The best headphones I have found at R/S are the small titanium one with
| the vol control on
| the cable..they sound fantastic on my Expanium unit and computer...and why
| Dolby, it just
| dulls the sound..just adjust your EQ bands...
|
| Lately, I've really gotten to like MusicMatch software which plays Music
| files, because its newest version 8.1 allows you to download
| MP3 Music from their server for $0.99 a pop. I want to get all the bells and
| whistles that I can for MusicMatch. One of the sound
| enhancers that I've installed is called the "Lake PLS With Dolby
| Headphones". Well, I bought some $12.00 headphones and tried
| them with Lake PLS, and was somewhat underwellmed. So, I'm going to
| get Dolby Headphones and see who they work.

MikeyD

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:03:22 -0500, James Nipper wrote:

I doubt very much that the earphones with an inline switch actually turned
your laptop speakers on and off. That is almost always a function of the
mechanical workings of the earphone plug itself, which disables your
speakers when you push the plug in. If you had one of those earphone
plugs (plug only) and pushed it in to the laptop , it would turn the
speakers off, mechanically of course.

Could be wrong, but I think others will likely agree to the assessment.

Not with my laptop at least. IIRC most of them by checking the continuity,
whether a current can flow between the middle and outer parts of the
socket, rather than whether a plug is present.
For the OP, why not just use one of the one-socket-to-two splitters that
you can get from any electronics store?

Geoff Wood

"Patrick D. Rockwell" wrote in message

on/off switch on them so that I could leave them plugged into my laptop

ALL
the time, and when I want to hear my laptop speakers, I can
just throw the swithch instead of unplugging the headphones. If not, is
there an adaptor?

I guess the common question is "Why not just unplug the speakers?". Well,
this is just the way I want to do it. :-) Thanks in advance for any
information that you can give me.

The laptop speakers are switched of by the physical action of plugging in
the jack. So heaphones with an on/off switch won't help at all.

geoff

Stijn Kraft

Dolby Headphones do exist. I don't think you mean Dolby NR (Noise
Reduction), but Dolby Surround (the system that gives you the idea you're in
the middle of the action while watching a movie, for instance). Sennheiser
made a system called "Lucas". I don't believe it's too expensive and,
altough I never heard it, it promises to give you the same feeling a
surround set does. Don't know where you can find it, but maybe you'll find
something about this system. Remember: Sennheiser Lucas.

Stijn Kraft
(netherlands)
"Patrick D. Rockwell" schreef in bericht
. com...
[...]

Mark Reddick

Here ya go:
http://www.dolby.com/dolbyheadphone/

Pioneer makes a set of headphones that use this technology but they are only
available in Japan right now.

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/topec/produ.../dolby_01.html

- Mark

i.nl...