anybody-but-bush

Default Hundred Dollar CD printers?

Has anyone anything good or bad to say about this
Hundred Dollar CD Printer?
http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html

I want one for Christmas.

Primarily I am wondering if it is like a free razor.
You know get the printer at a loss and we will make it
up on the ink kind of stuff.

TIA
Santa Phil

GoobAudio

: Has anyone anything good or bad to say about this
: Hundred Dollar CD Printer?
: http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html
:
: I want one for Christmas.
:
: Primarily I am wondering if it is like a free razor.
: You know get the printer at a loss and we will make
it
: up on the ink kind of stuff.

Also wondering about how sensitive it may be to
printing on just plain old CD's rather than those that
are sold special for this printer.

TIA
Phil

EricK

anybody-but-bush wrote:
Has anyone anything good or bad to say about this
Hundred Dollar CD Printer?
http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html

I think it was the new EQ magazine that has a short review on it. The
reviewer seemed to think it was pretty handy. In my mind, it is more of
a "Labeler" rather than a "Printer". You are able to print in 4
"regions", not necessarily the entire disc. Also, you can only have one
color ribbon in at a time. As for the replacement ribbons, I think they
are about $30-40.

I have to say, I have been tempted to pick one up. Whatever job it does,
it's going to be a heck of a lot better than my chicken scratching
handwriting on the disc.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com

John L Rice

"anybody-but-bush" Anybody But wrote in message
news
Has anyone anything good or bad to say about this
Hundred Dollar CD Printer?
http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html

I want one for Christmas.

Primarily I am wondering if it is like a free razor.
You know get the printer at a loss and we will make it
up on the ink kind of stuff.

TIA
Santa Phil

I've been using the Casio version for a year now and I think it's great.
I'm considering 'upgrading' to the Primera one.

John L Rice

Richard Crowley

"GoobAudio" philsaudio-remove this and the wrote in
message nk.net...

: Has anyone anything good or bad to say about this
: Hundred Dollar CD Printer?
:
http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html
:
: I want one for Christmas.
:
: Primarily I am wondering if it is like a free razor.
: You know get the printer at a loss and we will make
it
: up on the ink kind of stuff.

Also wondering about how sensitive it may be to
printing on just plain old CD's rather than those that
are sold special for this printer.

The top three Google hits are reviews that answer all
your questions.

OTOH, disk printers are commonly available for half
the price of the Primera. And it doesn't appear to have
full-surface coverage, but only prints four rectangular
areas at 90-degree increments.

L David Matheny

"anybody-but-bush" Anybody But wrote in message news
Has anyone anything good or bad to say about this
Hundred Dollar CD Printer?
http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html

I want one for Christmas.

Primarily I am wondering if it is like a free razor.
You know get the printer at a loss and we will make it
up on the ink kind of stuff.

TIA
Santa Phil

The Primera does sound interesting because the inks are
supposed to be waterproof. I've been considering the
Epson R200 CD/DVD/photo printer, which is also $100.
(http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/index.jsp, then
click on the link for the R200.) Has anyone tried it yet?
Of course, it's an ink jet, so smearing could be a problem.
Has anyone tried fixing the printing on disks by using some
kind of spray? I suspect clear Krylon would attack the disk.

Rob Reedijk

L David Matheny wrote:

The Primera does sound interesting because the inks are
supposed to be waterproof. I've been considering the
Epson R200 CD/DVD/photo printer, which is also $100.
(http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/index.jsp, then
click on the link for the R200.) Has anyone tried it yet?
Of course, it's an ink jet, so smearing could be a problem.
Has anyone tried fixing the printing on disks by using some
kind of spray? I suspect clear Krylon would attack the disk.

I have the Epson R300 which I believe is the same printer but has a
few more options such as being USB2 capable, has slots for directly
inserting digital camera memory cards and a larger LCD display.

I have been using it for about 6 months, and I have run about 300 CDs
on it, and I am very happy with the unit. But I know a duplication
place that tried one and started to have problems after about 50 CDs.

The smearing problem I have had is when I print CDs at a high volume.
So I get a sort of smearing where in some spots some ink hits that
shouldn't be there. I think it might be picked up by the rollers and
turned over back onto the CD. I find that if I wait a few minutes
between each CD, this problem mostly goes away. I can't figure out why.

The print quality is phenomenal. On some CDRs I seem to get a deeper
resolution than others. So far, I have only used the clear/silver
ones. I imagine if I use the white ones it will be much better since
that would be a better surface to print to. But then you are doing
toner-heavy full surface coverage.

I don't tend to handle the surface right after it prints, and I haven't
had any smearing from handling. One of these days I will test one to
see if I rub some water into the top if it causes smearing.

Yesterday, I had an interesting experience with the printer. My mac
that I run it off is crashing these days. And for the first time
it crashed when the CD was 1/3 printed and then it stopped printing.
My initial reaction was that I figured that CD was wasted. But then
for fun I reloaded it and printed again. Since the CDRs sit in
a special tray that is a bit tight it had not rotated at all.

Well, believe it or not, when it printed over, you can not see any
ghosting or anything. It looks perfect. It must have precisely printed
in exactly the same place.

As for prining photos it does a beautiful job. If I use good quality
photo papers, it looks at least as good as anything coming out of a
photo developing place.

The toner is pricey. But the good news is that you can replace the
colours individually as they run out. It uses 6 including black,
so a whole set costs around $125 CAD which is more than half the cost
of the printer (which included a full set)

So far, I am pretty happy with it. And it has already paid for itself
several times over.

Rob R.

Mike Rivers

In article t writes:

http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html

I want one for Christmas.

Primarily I am wondering if it is like a free razor.
You know get the printer at a loss and we will make it
up on the ink kind of stuff.

Buy the printer and ask Santa for supplies instead. You'll be ahead of
the game, and they'll fit in your stocking better than a printer will.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

L David Matheny

"Rob Reedijk" wrote in message ...
L David Matheny wrote:

[...]

Thanks for a great write-up. I'll probably get myself either the
R200 or the R300 for Christmas. I need it for photos, too.

Dale Farmer

L David Matheny wrote:

Thanks for a great write-up. I'll probably get myself either the
R200 or the R300 for Christmas. I need it for photos, too.

I looked at the web site. They have an R300 under the clearance
section. Refurbed, but also discounted.

--Dale

ZigZoo

In article , EricK
wrote:

anybody-but-bush wrote:
Has anyone anything good or bad to say about this
Hundred Dollar CD Printer?
http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html

I think it was the new EQ magazine that has a short review on it. The
reviewer seemed to think it was pretty handy. In my mind, it is more of
a "Labeler" rather than a "Printer". You are able to print in 4
"regions", not necessarily the entire disc. Also, you can only have one
color ribbon in at a time. As for the replacement ribbons, I think they
are about $30-40.

OUCH! how many CDs can you do at full coverage ?

My Casio CW-50 cartridges are $5/each (in 3-packs), and since I
typically print only on lover half of my CD/DVDs I squeeze about 50
prints.
Plus sometimes I get greedy and reuse the cartridge(involves some
deconstruction of the catridge), since the actual usage of thermal tape
in theese printers is hardly very efficient.

Alex

Leoaw3

I have this printer's big daddy - the Primera Inscripta printer. It seems like
this uses a similar technology, but limits the printing area.

I'm VERY happy with mine. The ink is cheap (about 4 cents per disk, compared
to over a quarter per disk for inkjet), totally and completely waterproof, and
the look of the black printing on the silver taiyo yuden disks is solid.

I expect the little sibling printer to be similar -- except they are charging
much more for the ink. They say a $20. ribbon can do up to 200 print areas --
and that each disk can have up to 4 print areas. That would be 50 disks
printed for $20 -- or 40 cents per disk. That's more than inkjet, but it is
waterproof. On the other hand, if you only printed one of the 4 regions, it
drops to 10 cents a disk, which is cheaper than inkjet, but now that impacts
the look greatly.

-lee-

TonyP

"Leoaw3" wrote in message
They say a $20. ribbon can do up to 200 print areas --
and that each disk can have up to 4 print areas. That would be 50 disks
printed for $20 -- or 40 cents per disk. That's more than inkjet, but it

is
waterproof. On the other hand, if you only printed one of the 4 regions,

it
drops to 10 cents a disk, which is cheaper than inkjet, but now that

impacts
the look greatly.

Why would the inkjet costs not fall also when printing only one quater of
the disk?
Either the running costs are cheaper or dearer when comparing like with
like.
Of course generic ink cartridges are available for most inkjets which lowers
the cost even further. Something that is often not possible with thermal
ribbons.

TonyP.

Mikey

Rob Reedijk wrote in message ...

I have the Epson R300 which I believe is the same printer but has a
few more options such as being USB2 capable, has slots for directly
inserting digital camera memory cards and a larger LCD display.

I have been using it for about 6 months, and I have run about 300 CDs
on it, and I am very happy with the unit. But I know a duplication
place that tried one and started to have problems after about 50 CDs.

I actually have both the R200 and R300, and I've had some problems
with both.

The smearing problem I have had is when I print CDs at a high volume.
So I get a sort of smearing where in some spots some ink hits that
shouldn't be there. I think it might be picked up by the rollers and
turned over back onto the CD.

That's pretty much it. If the tray is inserted such that a cartridge
(usually black for me) touches it while the cradle is moving, a drop
or 2 will hit either the rollers or the tray (and then transfer to the
rollers) and then onto the CD. I've becomne quite good at cleaning the
rollers with a q-tip and alcohol after a bad disk. I was getting
almost 5% bad discs, but that's gone down lately.

I find that if I wait a few minutes
between each CD, this problem mostly goes away. I can't figure out why.

It's because the ink dries enough so that it won't transfer to the
disc. I'm well over 1000 CDs between the 2 printers and no sign of
wear except for one of the CD trays is a tad nicked.

The print quality is phenomenal. On some CDRs I seem to get a deeper
resolution than others. So far, I have only used the clear/silver
ones. I imagine if I use the white ones it will be much better since
that would be a better surface to print to. But then you are doing
toner-heavy full surface coverage.

I don't tend to handle the surface right after it prints, and I haven't
had any smearing from handling. One of these days I will test one to
see if I rub some water into the top if it causes smearing.

They can smear a bit, but it's not easy to do. You really have to rub.
Long term, who knows?

Yesterday, I had an interesting experience with the printer. My mac
that I run it off is crashing these days. And for the first time
it crashed when the CD was 1/3 printed and then it stopped printing.
My initial reaction was that I figured that CD was wasted. But then
for fun I reloaded it and printed again. Since the CDRs sit in
a special tray that is a bit tight it had not rotated at all.

Well, believe it or not, when it printed over, you can not see any
ghosting or anything. It looks perfect. It must have precisely printed
in exactly the same place.

They are very accurate.

As for prining photos it does a beautiful job. If I use good quality
photo papers, it looks at least as good as anything coming out of a
photo developing place.

I'm also doing Tray cards and Inserts as well with great results.

The toner is pricey. But the good news is that you can replace the
colours individually as they run out. It uses 6 including black,
so a whole set costs around $125 CAD which is more than half the cost
of the printer (which included a full set)

I've found a good source for non-Epson replacement cartridges. I just
paid about $35 USD for a set of 6 (!), ground Fed Ex paid, from he

http://www.blank-cd-cdr.com/

They work just as good as the Epson carts, IMO, and I've had LOWER
ink-splotting with them.

So far, I am pretty happy with it. And it has already paid for itself
several times over.

Rob R.

Same here. And with lower ink prices, may do so again.

Richard Crowley

"L David Matheny" wrote ...
The Primera does sound interesting because the inks are
supposed to be waterproof. I've been considering the
Epson R200 CD/DVD/photo printer, which is also $100.
(http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/index.jsp, then
click on the link for the R200.) Has anyone tried it yet?

I have been using an R300 since they were first available
(6 months). R300 is just an R200 with a few extra bells
whistles (in my case completely useless).

I have printed ~300 disks with it and it works great. Only
complaints are sometimes poky "setup" delays before
printing, and, of course, the cost of replacement ink.
Fortunately, there are several 3rd party sources of ink
becoming available at more reasonable prices.

The R300 makes much nicer photo prints than my older
HP color inkjets (although the Epson is 6-color vs 4-
color for the HPs).

Of course, it's an ink jet, so smearing could be a problem.
Has anyone tried fixing the printing on disks by using some
kind of spray? I suspect clear Krylon would attack the disk.

I just tried smearing a disk that I printed a couple weeks ago.
White, matt finish Memorex DVD. Couldn't smear it while dry,
but when I spit on it I could smear the ink. I've read reports of
people sucessfully using spray fixative from art supply sources.

Richard Crowley

"Mikey" wrote ...
That's pretty much it. If the tray is inserted such that a cartridge
(usually black for me) touches it while the cradle is moving, a drop
or 2 will hit either the rollers or the tray (and then transfer to the
rollers) and then onto the CD. I've becomne quite good at cleaning the
rollers with a q-tip and alcohol after a bad disk. I was getting
almost 5% bad discs, but that's gone down lately.

I've seen only one (or maybe 2?) of this kind of failure in
~300 discs printed on my R300. I've printed scores of disks
one right after another running the printer essentially continuously.

Richard Crowley

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
Buy the printer and ask Santa for supplies instead. You'll
be ahead of the game, and they'll fit in your stocking better
than a printer will.

As those "animated" characters say in the Guinness beer
commercials, "*BRILLIANT!*"

"Animated" in the neo, devalued, sense of Monty Python
and South Park, et.al.

Mikey

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message ...
"Mikey" wrote ...
That's pretty much it. If the tray is inserted such that a cartridge
(usually black for me) touches it while the cradle is moving, a drop
or 2 will hit either the rollers or the tray (and then transfer to the
rollers) and then onto the CD. I've becomne quite good at cleaning the
rollers with a q-tip and alcohol after a bad disk. I was getting
almost 5% bad discs, but that's gone down lately.

I've seen only one (or maybe 2?) of this kind of failure in
~300 discs printed on my R300. I've printed scores of disks
one right after another running the printer essentially continuously.

My experience was that the 1st 20 or so discs would be fine, then I'd
start to get bad ones. Again, lately, with the non-OEM carts and
better attention, that's gotten much better. Another tip (ffrom the
manual) is to be sure that the printer is level. The tray will feed
better.

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku

DaisyCutter

Both original and OEM carts are expensive.
that's really pain in the butt.

I have done with some testing where I print out 12- 15 letter size
papers with "full-coverage", and all cartridges went down to 5% level.

I then went to find some other solution for lower down the cost of
printing CD/DVD cover.
Here is a very useful kit:

http://www.InkRepublic.com

They make great bulk ink kit for Epson which can turn your CD/DVD cover
printer to printing monster ^_______^

http://www.inkrepublic.com/VideoClips.asp
http://www.inkrepublic.com/Installation.asp

And it is easy to setup, besides, I can use pigment and dye ink as I
wish.

just for your reference.