Default do 16 ohm speakers exist? (for home use)

Hi all

I want to attach a 5.1 speaker system + 2 adional speakers for
other room. The amp is a JVC RX-7022, wich supports simultaniously this
configuration.

Reading carefully the user manual, I read the speakers must have at
least 16 Ohm of impedance (at least the 2 front speakers speakers
of the 5.1 system _and_ the 2 aditional stereo).

But looking for speakers with this specification (16 Ohm). I haven't found
any speakers with this configuration for home use. I have looked at jbl,
polkaudio, jamo and jvc...

I'm puzzled

Any comment or suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Ulisses

Debian GNU/Linux: a dream come true
"Computers are useless. They can only give answers." Pablo Picasso

--- Visita http://www.valux.org/ para saber acerca de la ---
--- Asociación Valenciana de Usuarios de Linux ---

Kalman Rubinson

They are rare these days even though they were once common.
What you need is an amp with more current that can handle a lower
impedance load.

Kal

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:26:13 +0000 (UTC),

[...]

Todd H.

writes:

Reading carefully the user manual, I read the speakers must have at
least 16 Ohm of impedance (at least the 2 front speakers speakers of
the 5.1 system _and_ the 2 aditional stereo).

But looking for speakers with this specification (16 Ohm). I haven't found
any speakers with this configuration for home use. I have looked at jbl,
polkaudio, jamo and jvc...

I'm puzzled

Unfortunately, it sounds like your amp manufacturer providing you a
feature that doesn't exist, I'm afraid. 16 ohm speakers used to be
somewhat common, but are long gone these days I'm afraid.

A separate amplifier for remote speakers is the way to go, and affords
you independent volume control.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

writes:

Reading carefully the user manual, I read the speakers must have at
least 16 Ohm of impedance (at least the 2 front speakers speakers of
the 5.1 system _and_ the 2 aditional stereo).

But looking for speakers with this specification (16 Ohm). I haven't found
any speakers with this configuration for home use. I have looked at jbl,
polkaudio, jamo and jvc...

I'm puzzled

Thanks all for your replies (I hope jvc give me a more possitive reply)

One missing question:

Is putting conventional and identical speakers in serial a solution?

I'm aware that conventional home speakers have filters to separate the
spectrum, so maybe is not possible because of that? or does it still
possible?

Again, thanks in advance

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
You can put speakers in series but it's not considered desirable from a
hi-fi standpoint.

the jvc service said me to put speakers in that way... oh my god

I trust more in comments from this newsgroup than from jvc

at least, if I can't hear previously the setup I'will not trust
the salesman (supossed know what he talks about)

Thanks again

Ulisses

Debian GNU/Linux: a dream come true
"Computers are useless. They can only give answers." Pablo Picasso

--- Visita http://www.valux.org/ para saber acerca de la ---
--- Asociación Valenciana de Usuarios de Linux ---

Todd H.

writes:

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
You can put speakers in series but it's not considered desirable from a
hi-fi standpoint.

Tis true--the crossovers of each speaker will "load" each other and
it's likely to change effective crossover frequencies and sound
.... what's the techn word? Poopy.

the jvc service said me to put speakers in that way... oh my god

Yow.

at least, if I can't hear previously the setup I'will not trust
the salesman (supossed know what he talks about)

The truly knowledgeable ones are few and far between. And sadly, the
payscale of such positions is such that the really sharp ones tend to
find more gainful employment elsewhere.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."
Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:23:02 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

the jvc service said me to put speakers in that way... oh my god

They do not have to listen to them. They are only concerned about
protecting their electronics.

Kal
David Kelly at NTL world

Default do 16 ohm speakers exist? (for home use), sensible response

There is no problem about using speakers in series (or parallel if required)
whatsoever. My stereo audio setup has four Tannoy Mercury II's (old ones now
equivalent to M1s) in two series pairs. The idea was to improve dispersion
from small units. There are very very minor issues about self cancellation
between two speakers. But there never was a public address system run on two
stereo speakers.

If you run an amp rated for 16 Ohm speakers with 8 Ohm speakers, you will
get twice the power, hence the speakers need to have twice the rating.
Overwise the system will work fine.

Good luck

Dave

wrote:

the jvc service said me to put speakers in that way... oh my god

They do not have to listen to them. They are only concerned about
protecting their electronics.

Kal

Speakers in Different Rooms?? Ron Pagano General 1 November 20th 03 06:50 PM
Powered Speakers? MS General 24 October 27th 03 03:37 AM
Placement of 5.1 speakers? Harry Muscle General 4 October 21st 03 04:58 PM
wall mount speakers (help!) rain General 1 July 25th 03 06:33 PM
Remote speakers? L-pads? Totally confused! Hogarth General 3 July 3rd 03 02:06 PM