Len Moskowitz

Default Line Input Level for 0 dBFS?

What's the amplitude of the Line level signal you'd expect would drive
an A-to-D to 0 dBFS (full scale) digital? 1.0 Volt? 1.5 Volt? 1.8
Volt? 2.0 Volt?

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Scott Dorsey

Len Moskowitz wrote:
What's the amplitude of the Line level signal you'd expect would drive
an A-to-D to 0 dBFS (full scale) digital? 1.0 Volt? 1.5 Volt? 1.8
Volt? 2.0 Volt?

On my Prism AD-124, there are some switches in the back that you can set
the reference level. On the RME ADI-8, there is a button on the front.

Mark

Len Moskowitz wrote:
What's the amplitude of the Line level signal you'd expect would drive
an A-to-D to 0 dBFS (full scale) digital? 1.0 Volt? 1.5 Volt? 1.8
Volt? 2.0 Volt?

If we're taking about this level of detail, don't we need to specify
if we are asking about peak to peak, or peak, or RMS?

Mark

Scott Dorsey

Mark wrote:
Len Moskowitz wrote:
What's the amplitude of the Line level signal you'd expect would drive
an A-to-D to 0 dBFS (full scale) digital? 1.0 Volt? 1.5 Volt? 1.8
Volt? 2.0 Volt?

If we're taking about this level of detail, don't we need to specify
if we are asking about peak to peak, or peak, or RMS?

No, the dBFS scale implies peak measurement.

Richard Crowley

"Len Moskowitz" wrote ...
What's the amplitude of the Line level signal you'd expect
would drive an A-to-D to 0 dBFS (full scale) digital?
1.0 Volt? 1.5 Volt? 1.8 Volt? 2.0 Volt?

In what context? Consumer? Pro? Sub-miniature portable?
Why not 1v with a method (switch, pot, software setting, etc.)
of reducing sensitivity all the way to +8 dBm?

Phil Allison

"Mark"
Len Moskowitz
What's the amplitude of the Line level signal you'd expect would drive
an A-to-D to 0 dBFS (full scale) digital? 1.0 Volt? 1.5 Volt? 1.8
Volt? 2.0 Volt?

If we're taking about this level of detail, don't we need to specify
if we are asking about peak to peak, or peak, or RMS?

** Unless otherwise specified - assume the audio voltage values are the
rms value of a sine wave.

Eg a peak VU meter will respond to the peak value of a signal - but
will be calibrated in rms sine.

............ Phil

Arny Krueger

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Len Moskowitz wrote:
What's the amplitude of the Line level signal you'd expect would
drive an A-to-D to 0 dBFS (full scale) digital? 1.0 Volt? 1.5
Volt? 1.8 Volt? 2.0 Volt?

If we're taking about this level of detail, don't we need to specify
if we are asking about peak to peak, or peak, or RMS?

No, the dBFS scale implies peak measurement.

I don't think so if dBFS means dB Full Scale.

For example AES standard 6id-2000 items 3.3 and 3.4 state:

3.3 full-scale input voltage
root-mean-squared (r.m.s.) input voltage level using the A-D-PC that causes
the analog-to-digital converter output to be just equal to digital full
scale, assuming the THD+N is better than - 40 dB relative to the signal
level

NOTE If the THD+N is worse than - 40 dB, then full scale is defined as the
input signal level 0,5 dB less than the level that induces - 40 dB THD+N in
the input data (see annex D.1).

3.4 full-scale output voltage
r.m.s. voltage produced using the PC-D-A while playing a 997-Hz digital
full-scale sine wave, assuming the THD+N is less than - 40 dB relative to
the signal level, with the output loaded appropriately

NOTE 1 If the THD+N is more than - 40 dB, then full scale is defined as the
output signal level 0,5 dB less than the level that induces - 40 dB THD+N in
the output data.
NOTE 2 The appropriate output load depends on the type of output. Line-level
outputs are designed for minimum loading and the load should be greater than
10 kW. Outputs designed to drive nonpowered loudspeakers should be loaded
with 8 W. Outputs designed for headphones should be loaded with 30 W.

Richard Kuschel

What's the amplitude of the Line level signal you'd expect would drive
an A-to-D to 0 dBFS (full scale) digital? 1.0 Volt? 1.5 Volt? 1.8
Volt? 2.0 Volt?

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Depends on how the A/D convertor is set up. My CraneSong HEDD came factory
setup at +16dBm and my Alesis HD24 is +19dBm. Panasonic DAT machines are
22dBm.

All of the above are using balanced lines.

Consumer Gear uses 2 Volts, which is 16dB over the nominal reference level of
-10dBV.

Richard H. Kuschel