Gravity

Default which subs are better?

Infinity = good
Legacy = cheap crap

:-D I just cut the cheese!
"big t" wrote in message
om...
I won't say why, but hypothetically speaking if you had to choose
between a pair of 12" Infinity Reference 1230s and a pair of 15"
Legacy saphire LW1557s, which would you get? (assuming you are paying
no money for them, already got the equipment, and have the proper amp
to power either one) Which one has the better overall sound quality
and which one has the better output without distortion? Are the rms
wattage for either one overated and if so how much?

big t

"SmilingSinner" wrote in message news:GrtUa.23279$zd4.10554@lakeread02...
why
"big t" wrote in message
om...
I won't say why, but hypothetically speaking if you had to choose
between a pair of 12" Infinity Reference 1230s and a pair of 15"
Legacy saphire LW1557s, which would you get? (assuming you are paying
no money for them, already got the equipment, and have the proper amp
to power either one) Which one has the better overall sound quality
and which one has the better output without distortion? Are the rms
wattage for either one overated and if so how much?

A guy I know says his Legacy saphires would sound better then a pair
of Infinity References. To me when he brags about his system he sounds
like he knows absolutely nothing about what he's talking about so I
was wondering if the high end Legacy's really sound that great. This
guy claims these cheap $50 subs wired to a 400 watt power acostic amp
can out thump some of the guys that spend a thousand to get their
systems going. I mean come on is it really possible for a big set of
midranges (32hz-1.5k) to outsound even a halfway decent system? I
don't see how a $50 sub can handle more watts then a kicker comp or
cerwin vega and still sound decent. Those 600rms watts have to be pure
distortion. I was thinking all this in my head as this guy was
bragging about how good his system really is, but I let just let it go
cause I haven't finished hooking my equipment up yet and when people
play their systems they like to hide them. I guess I just need to pull
up next to him with an spl guage from radio shack and a couple people
to judge once I get this amp hooked up although people will just roll
their eyes at us and not be impressed by either.
scott johnson

[...]

Some models of Pyramid and Legacy subs are very good quality.As far as I
know, they are made by Eminence,Who builds speakers for a lot of major
speaker companies. Some are very damned efficient also. I had a pair of
Pyramid 15's (PW1572-US) in a ported isobaric system with a Sony XM3040 (90
* 2 bridged) amp running it in a 1980 Mustang. That box pounded hard and was
very accurate. I've heard some of Pyamid's other subs that sounded good
also. But, I've also heard some bad ones from them. The enclosure will make
the most difference!

big t

"scott johnson" wrote in message ...

[...]

All I got to say is you will get what you pay for and if you claim
you're getting a whole lot more then what you're paying for then
you're probably full of ****. Pay more for the boxes and you will get
better sound. This goes for the subs, installation, and everything
else. He thinks he's getting about 20 times what he's paying for so I
was thinking he's full of ****. Does anybody blaim me?

scott johnson

so I
was thinking he's full of ****. Does anybody blaim me?

Think what you want. and let your own experiences be the judge for you.

big t

"scott johnson" wrote in message ...
so I
was thinking he's full of ****. Does anybody blaim me?

Think what you want. and let your own experiences be the judge for you.

Then i'm going to put the Infinity's in a sealed box with a Lanzar amp
up against Legacy's in a ported fiberglass box with a power acostic
amp and see what happens just for the hell of it. I think if theres
more people like me out there wasting their hard earned money on car
stereo crap they need to know what they have to get to make it sound
good. If all you need is a fancy box then people need to know that.

Subwoofer direction Doobie-Doo Car Audio 108 August 13th 03 04:15 PM
are free air subs any good? Scott Johnson Car Audio 17 July 20th 03 06:13 AM
Cheap Subs scott johnson Car Audio 2 July 14th 03 05:02 PM
help wireing amp to subs question StevenM Car Audio 2 July 8th 03 01:54 AM
Boston 8" Pro subs in trunk? Chall70 Car Audio 1 July 6th 03 05:56 AM