marshall

Default stolen car stereo and cigarette lighter

Hello,
My car stereo was stolen recently , 93 Honda Accord EX, and though I
am going to replace the stereo an annoying problem seems to have
occured. When they took the stereo, they very slightly damaged the
center console in getting it out, only cosmetically on the outside,
and then neatly cut the wires and took the system, which was an after
market kenwood, nothing special , just took the stereo and harness.
(the stereo technician that is going to do the install initially
looked at the console and said that there seemed to be no damage and
installation would be routine) My problem is that my cigarette lighter
which worked initially after the robbery for about 2-3 days, now does
not seem to work at all. There has been no work done to the area yet
as I am going to get the new system installed late next week. My cell
phone charger doesn't work and neither does my factory cigarette
lighter.
Could this have become shorted out in the week or so since the wires
were cut and left dangling ? Is there anything someone
unelectronically gifted like myself can look for to get it going again
before the install? And most importantly , how should I bring this up
to the store installing the system, as I am assuming that once the
system is installed, it will not be easy for someone to get at to fix.
P.S. My car clock since the break in works now only when the car is on
(perfectly keeping time) and resets itself to 1:00 whenever I shut it
off and restart it. I am assuming that that is due to the fact the
stereo is gone and the wires left dangling. Any help or direction to
look in would be appreciated.
KaeZoo

If you had wires cut, then most likely one of the ends has grounded out and
caused a blown fuse. There's no point in replacing the fuse before the
wires are repaired.

You can tell the installer about the problem when you take the car in, but
any professional shop will notice it themselves when they do a pre-check on
the vehicle. They should replace the fuse as part of the installation,
since the same fuse is probably needed to provide constant voltage to the
head unit.

om...