Small power amplifier

Old April 19th 17, 04:33 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave O'Heare[_3_]

Default Small power amplifier

geoff > wrote in
:

> On 15/04/2017 11:30 AM, Dave O'Heare wrote:
>>
>> I note that their amplifier modules are used extensively in MI bass
>> amps, which worries me a little bit; on the other hand, Yorkville and
>> Fender each make more money than I do, so maybe they do know
>> something I don't :-)

> Extensively, but not exclusively. What is your worry ?

My worry was that the amplifier characteristics might be tweaked for low
frequency instrument amplification (higher power at the expense of higher
distortion or limited high frequency response, for example), or would be
built to hit a price point.

But on thinking about it, it's not really relevant for the intended
purpose. Extended HF response won't be noticeable, really, and the
distortion will be fine at the levels the amp will be pushing.

And the assorted information I've trawled up on the Internet suggests that
these amp modules work well, are reliable, and sound good in hi-fi as well
as live instrument uses.

And weigh less than a Bryston 4B.
Old April 19th 17, 05:08 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 19/04/2017 3:33 p.m., Dave O'Heare wrote:
> Extensively, but not exclusively. What is your worry ?
> My worry was that the amplifier characteristics might be tweaked for low
> frequency instrument amplification (higher power at the expense of higher
> distortion or limited high frequency response, for example), or would be
> built to hit a price point.
>
> But on thinking about it, it's not really relevant for the intended
> purpose. Extended HF response won't be noticeable, really, and the
> distortion will be fine at the levels the amp will be pushing.
>
> And the assorted information I've trawled up on the Internet suggests that
> these amp modules work well, are reliable, and sound good in hi-fi as well
> as live instrument uses.
>
> And weigh less than a Bryston 4B.

Yep agree with that. Which I thought was widely generally accepted.

I just purchased another 4 of the 250W versions with integrated PSU to
pop into a stage monitors project I've been needing to complete for a
while now .

Old April 19th 17, 02:16 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_12_]

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 22:35:30 -0500, "Dave O'Heare"
> wrote:

wrote in news:dc694bd4-3bcd-4797-9920-
:

>> On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 2:35:29 AM UTC-4, Dave O'Heare wrote:
>>> I hate the smell of fried electronics in the evening.
>>>

>> Do you want to sell it?
>>
>> Mark

>I might, depending on the verdict from the repair guys.
>
>Just out of curiosity, why would you want it?

As someone who has repaired quite a few of these, I wouldn't repair
it. Probably all small value electrolytic capacitors will be bad. The
stand up driver boards have traces that are so thin that when the
drivers are desoldered the traces dissolve. To work on the bottom of
the main board all output and power supply switching transistors have
to be detached from the heatsinks. If cost is an issue, pretty much
any used amp will be better.

---

Old April 20th 17, 12:46 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
makolber@yahoo.com

> > On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 2:35:29 AM UTC-4, Dave O'Heare wrote:
> >> I hate the smell of fried electronics in the evening.
> >>

> > Do you want to sell it?
> >
> > Mark

> I might, depending on the verdict from the repair guys.
>
> Just out of curiosity, why would you want it?

I could use a small PA amp.
I'll repair it myself and use it...

I'll be taking a chance that it is feasible to repair.

mark
Old April 20th 17, 01:17 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >,
> wrote:
>> >
>> > Do you want to sell it?

>> I might, depending on the verdict from the repair guys.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, why would you want it?

>I could use a small PA amp.
>I'll repair it myself and use it...
>
>I'll be taking a chance that it is feasible to repair.

Trust me, you do not want it. It's likely not too hard to repair, but it's
such a bad design that it likely won't stay repaired.

Old April 21st 17, 12:54 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

Dave O'Heare wrote:
> geoff > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 15/04/2017 11:30 AM, Dave O'Heare wrote:
>>>
>>> I note that their amplifier modules are used extensively in MI
>>> bass amps, which worries me a little bit; on the other hand,
>>> Yorkville and Fender each make more money than I do, so maybe
>>> they do know something I don't :-)

>> Extensively, but not exclusively. What is your worry ?

> My worry was that the amplifier characteristics might be tweaked for
> low frequency instrument amplification (higher power at the expense
> of higher distortion or limited high frequency response, for
> example), or would be built to hit a price point.

I don't think that's much a of a tradeoff for switchmode power amps.

These guys are under bang & olufsen. I would tend to think that B&O
would still mean some measure of quality.

--
Les Cargill

Old April 30th 17, 02:14 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
makolber@yahoo.com

So have you decided?