Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Anybody have a Sennheiser MD441U for sale?

I want a Sennheiser MD441U in excellent condition. eBay scares me. Does anyone here have one for sale? Scott Dorsey
bought up all of the deals.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 16/12/2015 7:32 a.m., mcp6453 wrote:
I want a Sennheiser MD441U in excellent condition. eBay scares me. Does anyone here have one for sale? Scott Dorsey
bought up all of the deals.

I have one. I love it. You can't have it !

I got it off eBay, along with zillions of other things (mics,
instruments, photo gear, etc) with zero problems ;-)

Good luck. Hopefully posting the WTB here will work out well both good
for you, and for somebody else who needs the money for the Silly Season ;-)

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 3:56:24 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 16/12/2015 7:32 a.m., mcp6453 wrote:
I want a Sennheiser MD441U in excellent condition. eBay scares me. Does anyone here have one for sale? Scott Dorsey
bought up all of the deals.

I have one. I love it. You can't have it !

You should have purchase the MD 421 II. Much better reviews!!!

Jack

I got it off eBay, along with zillions of other things (mics,
instruments, photo gear, etc) with zero problems ;-)

Good luck. Hopefully posting the WTB here will work out well both good
for you, and for somebody else who needs the money for the Silly Season ;-)

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 15-12-2015 22:49, JackA wrote:

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 3:56:24 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 16/12/2015 7:32 a.m., mcp6453 wrote:

I want a Sennheiser MD441U in excellent condition. eBay scares me. Does anyone here have one for sale? Scott Dorsey
bought up all of the deals.

I have one. I love it. You can't have it !

You should have purchase the MD 421 II. Much better reviews!!!

Thank you for clearly defining your level of competence and know how.

Jack

- Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 11:39:31 PM UTC-5, Peter Larsen wrote:
On 15-12-2015 22:49, JackA wrote:

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 3:56:24 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 16/12/2015 7:32 a.m., mcp6453 wrote:

I want a Sennheiser MD441U in excellent condition. eBay scares me. Does anyone here have one for sale? Scott Dorsey
bought up all of the deals.

I have one. I love it. You can't have it !

You should have purchase the MD 421 II. Much better reviews!!!

Thank you for clearly defining your level of competence and know how.

Maybe tough for you peeps to read and/or comprehend product reviews.

Why everyone should avoid the MD441U, it renders lyrics unrecognizable!!!...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...timegoesby.mp3

Jack :-)

Jack

- Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 1:56:24 PM UTC-7, geoff wrote:
On 16/12/2015 7:32 a.m., mcp6453 wrote:
I want a Sennheiser MD441U in excellent condition. eBay scares me. Does anyone here have one for sale? Scott Dorsey
bought up all of the deals.

I have one. I love it. You can't have it !

I got it off eBay, along with zillions of other things (mics,
instruments, photo gear, etc) with zero problems ;-)

Good luck. Hopefully posting the WTB here will work out well both good
for you, and for somebody else who needs the money for the Silly Season ;-)

geoff

I got one from Ebay also. I'm not selling it! I wish I had another one. Without a doubt, one of the finest dynamic microphones ever made.

Back in the '80's I was going to buy a new pair but Sennheiser doubled the price overnight and I didn't have that kind of cash lying around.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/15/2015 3:56 PM, geoff wrote:
On 16/12/2015 7:32 a.m., mcp6453 wrote:
I want a Sennheiser MD441U in excellent condition. eBay scares me. Does anyone here have one for sale? Scott Dorsey
bought up all of the deals.

I have one. I love it. You can't have it !

I got it off eBay, along with zillions of other things (mics, instruments, photo gear, etc) with zero problems ;-)

Good luck. Hopefully posting the WTB here will work out well both good for you, and for somebody else who needs the
money for the Silly Season ;-)

Well, I just bought a new one. It doesn't sound the way I remember. It seems dark to me. I'll probably post a sound clip
here to get opinions. Maybe my ears are defective.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 18-12-2015 13:46, mcp6453 wrote:

On 12/15/2015 3:56 PM, geoff wrote:

On 16/12/2015 7:32 a.m., mcp6453 wrote:

I want a Sennheiser MD441U in excellent condition. eBay scares me. Does anyone here have one for sale? Scott Dorsey
bought up all of the deals.

I have one. I love it. You can't have it !

I got it off eBay, along with zillions of other things (mics, instruments, photo gear, etc) with zero problems ;-)

Good luck. Hopefully posting the WTB here will work out well both good for you, and for somebody else who needs the
money for the Silly Season ;-)

Well, I just bought a new one. It doesn't sound the way I remember. It seems dark to me. I'll probably post a sound clip
here to get opinions. Maybe my ears are defective.

Try at 8 feet. That is in my understanding the design working distance
rather than 8 inches.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/18/2015 7:52 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
On 18-12-2015 13:46, mcp6453 wrote:

On 12/15/2015 3:56 PM, geoff wrote:

On 16/12/2015 7:32 a.m., mcp6453 wrote:

I want a Sennheiser MD441U in excellent condition. eBay scares me. Does anyone here have one for sale? Scott Dorsey
bought up all of the deals.

I have one. I love it. You can't have it !

I got it off eBay, along with zillions of other things (mics, instruments, photo gear, etc) with zero problems ;-)

Good luck. Hopefully posting the WTB here will work out well both good for you, and for somebody else who needs the
money for the Silly Season ;-)

Well, I just bought a new one. It doesn't sound the way I remember. It seems dark to me. I'll probably post a sound clip
here to get opinions. Maybe my ears are defective.

Try at 8 feet. That is in my understanding the design working distance rather than 8 inches.

Wanna buy another one?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mcp6453 wrote:

Well, I just bought a new one. It doesn't sound the way I remember. It seems dark to me. I'll probably post a sound clip
here to get opinions. Maybe my ears are defective.

It does _not_ have any presence peak, which is part of what I really like
about it. If it sounds too dark for your application, you can always add
one with eq.

Another thing I like is that the leakage sounds really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE

I don't how how much of the drum and horn sound is coming through the vocal
mike, but it's probably a good bit. (Do notice the trumpet with the 635A
on it... it's very much the TV station mike cabinet selection...)

Are they still coming with those awful plastic clips instead of the
"broadcast clip?"

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/18/2015 9:41 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

Well, I just bought a new one. It doesn't sound the way I remember. It seems dark to me. I'll probably post a sound clip
here to get opinions. Maybe my ears are defective.

It does _not_ have any presence peak, which is part of what I really like
about it. If it sounds too dark for your application, you can always add
one with eq.

I can make is sound good with EQ, but I prefer not using any, when possible.

Another thing I like is that the leakage sounds really good.

The off-axis rejection on this thing is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE

I don't how how much of the drum and horn sound is coming through the vocal
mike, but it's probably a good bit. (Do notice the trumpet with the 635A
on it... it's very much the TV station mike cabinet selection...)

I'll give that a listen.

Are they still coming with those awful plastic clips instead of the
"broadcast clip?"

I think the answer is yes. The clip is plastic or nylon. It seems durable, but it doesn't seem like the kind of clip
that should come with a $900 microphone.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 18-12-2015 14:51, mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

Nah, they are too heavy to put on a tall stand and money too short,
otherwise they do a good job of full ensemble recording with a pair. I
had 4 of them and sold them to Scott some years ago. But thank you for
asking!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

петак, 18. децембар 2015. 15.41.16 UTC+1, Scott Dorsey је написао/ла:
mcp6453 wrote:

Well, I just bought a new one. It doesn't sound the way I remember. It seems dark to me. I'll probably post a sound clip
here to get opinions. Maybe my ears are defective.

It does _not_ have any presence peak, which is part of what I really like
about it. If it sounds too dark for your application, you can always add
one with eq.

Another thing I like is that the leakage sounds really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE

I don't how how much of the drum and horn sound is coming through the vocal
mike, but it's probably a good bit. (Do notice the trumpet with the 635A
on it... it's very much the TV station mike cabinet selection...)

Are they still coming with those awful plastic clips instead of the
"broadcast clip?"

I did not like what I've heard there, both as a whole as well as in
particularities.
BTW I have one 441, it's great mic, just like you I like it for it's not on the
harsh side, as oposed to what was presented in this clip and as oposed
to "black" 421-IIs. Old "beige/ gray" 421-Is are about the most usefull and
versatille there is, but not as sofisticated as 441.

I really think that Wonder clip did no favour to 441, on the contrary.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 19/12/2015 1:46 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
On 12/15/2015 3:56 PM, geoff wrote:
On 16/12/2015 7:32 a.m., mcp6453 wrote:
I want a Sennheiser MD441U in excellent condition. eBay scares
me. Does anyone here have one for sale? Scott Dorsey bought up
all of the deals.

I have one. I love it. You can't have it !

I got it off eBay, along with zillions of other things (mics,
instruments, photo gear, etc) with zero problems ;-)

Good luck. Hopefully posting the WTB here will work out well both
good for you, and for somebody else who needs the money for the
Silly Season ;-)

Well, I just bought a new one. It doesn't sound the way I remember.
It seems dark to me. I'll probably post a sound clip here to get
opinions. Maybe my ears are defective.

Older, less treble (you, and us that is) ... ;-|

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

On 19/12/2015 1:46 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
On 12/15/2015 3:56 PM, geoff wrote:
On 16/12/2015 7:32 a.m., mcp6453 wrote:
I want a Sennheiser MD441U in excellent condition. eBay scares
me. Does anyone here have one for sale? Scott Dorsey bought up
all of the deals.

I have one. I love it. You can't have it !

I got it off eBay, along with zillions of other things (mics,
instruments, photo gear, etc) with zero problems ;-)

Good luck. Hopefully posting the WTB here will work out well both
good for you, and for somebody else who needs the money for the
Silly Season ;-)

Well, I just bought a new one. It doesn't sound the way I remember.
It seems dark to me. I'll probably post a sound clip here to get
opinions. Maybe my ears are defective.

Older, less treble (you, and us that is) ... ;-|

Ain't it the truth bro. Was just noticing that the other day about my own
set of pipes.
On a good note, I sound more like Peter Gabriel than I ever did ;-)

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 27-12-2015 17:34, mcp6453 wrote:

I think I'm going to sell or return this microphone. It doesn't meet my needs. Anyone interested?

If you can return it that probably is best for you, good luck with it!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

mcp6453 wrote:

Well, I just bought a new one. It doesn't sound the way I remember. It seems dark to me. I'll probably post a sound clip
here to get opinions. Maybe my ears are defective.

It does _not_ have any presence peak, which is part of what I really like
about it. If it sounds too dark for your application, you can always add
one with eq.

Another thing I like is that the leakage sounds really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE

I don't how how much of the drum and horn sound is coming through the vocal
mike, but it's probably a good bit. (Do notice the trumpet with the 635A
on it... it's very much the TV station mike cabinet selection...)

Are they still coming with those awful plastic clips instead of the
"broadcast clip?"

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Luxey wrote:

Well, I just bought a new one. It doesn't sound the way I remember. It s=

eems dark to me. I'll probably post a sound clip
here to get opinions. Maybe my ears are defective.

=20
It does _not_ have any presence peak, which is part of what I really like
about it. If it sounds too dark for your application, you can always add
one with eq. =20
=20
Another thing I like is that the leakage sounds really good.
=20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D_ul7X5js1vE
=20

I did not like what I've heard there, both as a whole as well as in=20
particularities.=20

Yeah, but the vocals were clean! He's standing right in front of a bunch
of drums and the vocals were clean and forward.

BTW I have one 441, it's great mic, just like you I like it for it's not on=
the
harsh side, as oposed to what was presented in this clip and as oposed
to "black" 421-IIs. Old "beige/ gray" 421-Is are about the most usefull and=
=20
versatille there is, but not as sofisticated as 441.=20

The thing about the 441 is there is very little leakage, and the leakage that
there is sounds really good.

I gather that mcp6453 is looking for a VO mike, where that is not a big
advantage. For a field interview mike that could be a huge advantage.
It's certainly one of my favorite mikes for getting good separation on
spot mikes with a jazz band playing together.

It likely isn't the right mike for him the way he describes it.

I really think that Wonder clip did no favour to 441, on the contrary.

It is possible to order the optional "broadcast" clip which does not break
like the original did.

Likewise there is a "broadcast" clip with a shockmount arrangement for the
421 which is a lot more reliable than the original if somewhat clumsier.

Of course, they wrecked the 421 with the new Mk II one, so that's one more
out of the catalogue. On the other hand, the added presence peak might make
the 421 closer to what mcp6453 wants.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 8:59:30 AM UTC-7, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Luxey wrote:

[...]

The first that impressed me about the 441 was that it was really immune to feedback in a band monitor situation.

The neutral sound was also an advantage in a recording situation and if not, a little EQ would fix that in a hurry.

What preamp you plug a 441 into also has a big bearing on what it can sound like.

I use it on wind instruments, vocals, percussion, and occasionally piano.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Richard Kuschel wrote:
The neutral sound was also an advantage in a recording situation and if not, a little EQ would fix that in a hurry.

That's the thing... you can add a presence peak with EQ easily, but it's very
hard to get rid of one that is already there.

What preamp you plug a 441 into also has a big bearing on what it can sound like.

To be honest I didn't realize how much this was a problem until this summer
when I plugged it into a Phonic console.

I use it on wind instruments, vocals, percussion, and occasionally piano.

It's great for piano spots in a jazz ensemble where most of the piano is
coming from a main pair and you just need to tighten the piano up and bring
it forward a little. It has also become my favorite vibraphone mike because
you can pull them back enough that they don't get hit.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/29/2015 10:59 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Luxey wrote:

[...]

--scott

I returned the microphone and was able to get a full refund. If I ever get into a recording situation similar to what
you guys are doing, I might buy another 441. It surprised me a lot as to how flat this mic sounds. To me, it was darker
than most ribbons. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

I have an original 421. However, my favorite voice over mic is either the Heil PR40 or the Sennheiser MKH416, based on
the application.