Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Audition 1.5 Problem I installed Audition 1.5 and.....

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 8:17:55 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:

No overdubbing? Bye bye Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd. They are
clearly rubbish. There is no problem with overdubbing, it keeps the
artistic input consistent and saves splitting up the cash too many
ways - important for a band. As for live performances - do something
different, but equally good. The fans haven't turned up to hear the
record playing anyway (OK, that's exactly what they have turned up for
with the more youthful of today's cohort).

Well, the thing is that when you have a loud band with a backline, there
is no way to get clean vocals without overdubbing. Because the rock band
can only be balanced with electronic aid, you're limited in your ability
to get a clean vocal without a lot of leakage.

There are tricks you can use to get a little more isolation, but forget
having anyone playing drums and singing at the same time. It's not going
to work out.

I'm not sure Mr. Agnew even knows what overdubbing is. It's clear he
doesn't have any understanding of leakage or cancellation and is reluctant
to attempts to explain it to him. I think he just knows that he'll get
a reaction by saying a particular thing so he does; his only goal is to
get a reaction and he doesn't actually have anything to say himself.

Dear Mr. Pearce,

I'm always on the hunt for information about past recordings and problems they had with "mastering" early CDs. If people offer valid information, I say "thank you" and willing to shake hands. Well, Scott wants me to believe he knows what went on with early CDs, blaming sound problems on A/D converters. Cute. It wasn't until I found (on the internet) someone who KNEW those Sony PCM machines (both video and audio), knew what Sony suggested (dropping bits), knew "hot" sound and conservative. You know, a real person who had the responsibility to master CDs!

I mean, heck, even Steve Hoffman knows nothing about them. Steve is a lot like Scott, wants you to believe he knows it all. Not me, I need facts, not the fantasies and guesses from people's minds.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Frank Stearns wrote:

And, sometimes, a little leakage can add something to the overall sound. IIRC, this
was Rudy Van Gelder's "secret sauce" and he guarded that secret jealously.

A lot of that wasn't just leakage, it was also physical interaction between
instruments being played live in the same room. For instance, playing the
horn into the piano to thicken it with the sympathetic vibrations of the piano
strings. Doing this, of course, you get one track with both horn and piano
on the tape so you need to get the balances right the first time.

Drum kits are the same way... everything sounds different when it's being
played in front of a drum kit because of the drum resonances.

This is another part of what makes an ensemble much better than the sum of
the individual parts.

Bottom line: if the players aren't happy as the take going down, it's a lot harder
to get a good performance. It might be "ideal" from an engineering point of view but
then you struggle and stuggle with the mix -- not because the sonics are bad, but
because you don't have any "musical soul" upon which to build that mix.

I fear there is probably a "soul" plugin available now.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 2:21:40 PM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
On 19/11/2015 18:38, JackA wrote:
Between you and Rick, you'd both win a Grammy. Not for best engineered sound, but best noise making!!

And every time you post some of your remixed rubbish here, you win the
outright prize for worst sound of the month.

In the REAL world, this is the kind of applause I receive (site visitor)...

"Last, the best version of the always crappy sounding "In The Year 2525" that I've ever heard. This is from the German import "Zager & Evans - In The Year 2525" on Oxford ZES -0174. Maybe you can work some of your magic on this and make it a bit more listenable!
Love your website - some great stuff you've put together"!

What did he say, John, work my [audio] magic?

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 16:52:44 -0800 (PST), JackA
wrote:

[...]

It looks like you have a great career of polishing turds ahead of you.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music- Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

wrote:

[...]

Whatever. But I am pleasing others. Don't you wish you could? :-)

Jack

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music- Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 21/11/2015 02:38, JackA wrote:
On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 9:03:21 PM UTC-5, Rick Ruskin wrote:
It looks like you have a great career of polishing turds ahead of you.

Whatever. But I am pleasing others. Don't you wish you could? :-)

Most of us in here do exactly that, to the extent that they are willing
to pay us for what we do.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 2:11:47 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
On 21/11/2015 02:38, JackA wrote:
On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 9:03:21 PM UTC-5, Rick Ruskin wrote:
It looks like you have a great career of polishing turds ahead of you.

Whatever. But I am pleasing others. Don't you wish you could? :-)

Most of us in here do exactly that, to the extent that they are willing
to pay us for what we do.

I know, I know, everyone gave you their two cents!

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 11/14/2015 4:27 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
On 13-11-2015 15:21, mcp6453 wrote:

On 11/12/2015 3:14 AM, gray_wolf wrote:

Don't know what to say to the OP except check your settings
like cache and temp file location, do a fresh install and
make sure something else is not stealing your CPU and HDD
resources. Trust me, it happens.

It is probably still in the manual somewhere, at least two spindles recommended. I stand by my opinion that this is the
issue here even if if the disk is SSD. Note all I know about SSD is that I bought a 2.5" disk before moving house a
couple of years ago and that IBAS says there is no such thing as data-recovery from an SSD disk. Eventually however they
will probably be cheaper because of the loss of ability to manufacture anything mechanical. My asumption is that the
controller inside the disk does not like simultanous read and write.

Thanks for doing that. I monitor the resources in use by the computer all the time. That's not the problem. The settings
are the same as they are for an XP installation (on a Pentium 4) that works perfectly. Either W7 doesn't like 1.5, or
1.5 doesn't like the SSD. I'm going to install it on a W7 computer with a mechanical hard drive to see if there is any
difference. I'm such a fan of 1.5 (like Rick) that I'm prepared to get a new computer and leave in on XP, if that's what
it takes. Just don't leave an XP computer exposed on the Internet.

You may find that XP is not installable on a new box. Anyway, one disk for audio storage, one for OS and temp-location 1
and another for temp-location 2 works best. You with then keep it reading from one drive and writing to another all the
time for maximum speed.

I've tried everything I've read here, but no joy. Maybe someone will have an Ah Ha moment and find the problem, but it
has me stumped. For some reason, Audition 1.5 on Windows 7 chokes when opening an MP3 file, but it zooms with a WAV file.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

mcp6453 said...news:XLqdnUHOOc5dI8jLnZ2dnUU7-
:

[...]

If I were using it, I'd try replacing the MP3 filter that's built-in with a
Lame equivalent. There's a Lame Cool Edit/Audition filter available that
you can use with the Lame encoder dll (both go into the Audition folder),
and you just disable(i.e., rename) the "fhtpro.flt" that's installed by
Audition.

Maybe that will help solve your problem.

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

Nil said...news:XnsA55D877FD3524nilch1
@wheedledeedle.moc:

On 25 Nov 2015, david gourley wrote
in rec.audio.pro:

If I were using it, I'd try replacing the MP3 filter that's
built-in with a Lame equivalent. There's a Lame Cool
Edit/Audition filter available that you can use with the Lame
encoder dll (both go into the Audition folder), and you just
disable(i.e., rename) the "fhtpro.flt" that's installed by
Audition.

Isn't that just for saving/encoding? I always assumed that old LAME
filter flt didn't affect decoding/opening... no? Guess it would be
worth a shot regardless.

Here's a link to CoolLAME. It includes an old version of the LAME dll,
but you can replace that with a more recent version.

http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-libraries.php

Possibly, but I figured worth a try if nothing else has worked.

Thanks for the filter link, I got distracted and forgot to put it up. The
Lame bundle is he http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php

david

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/25/2015 2:57 PM, david gourley wrote:
[...]

I'll definitely give it a try to see if it makes a difference, but the Fraunhofer codec sounds much better than the LAME
codec to my ears.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

mcp6453 said...news:IYCdnaZJ4MBW-MvLnZ2dnUU7-
:

[...]

No doubt, but I'm sure it will be an interesting test nonetheless. There
are probably worse compromises in life, all things considered.

david