Posted to rec.audio.pro
richard richard is offline

Default Giving space to mono-recorded voiceovers?

I'm kinda new to recording/producing voiceovers. I've got a setup that
gives me a nice sound - an AT 3060 (?I think) plugged into an M-box and
recording straight to HDD. But stuff I've listened to carefully with
headphones, e.g. radio VO's, are post-produced to give a nice depth (ok,
reverb, that's easy) and something which gives them a spatial effect, as
if they were recorded in stereo - anyone have pointers on what the
standard method of achieving that is? I'm working with CoolEditPro,
which offers plenty of options but I'd like a starting point.

ta.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ian Bell Ian Bell is offline

richard wrote:

I'm kinda new to recording/producing voiceovers. I've got a setup that
gives me a nice sound - an AT 3060 (?I think) plugged into an M-box and
recording straight to HDD. But stuff I've listened to carefully with
headphones, e.g. radio VO's, are post-produced to give a nice depth (ok,
reverb, that's easy) and something which gives them a spatial effect, as
if they were recorded in stereo - anyone have pointers on what the
standard method of achieving that is? I'm working with CoolEditPro,
which offers plenty of options but I'd like a starting point.

ta.

They probably use the ambience setting on a top of the range Lexicon
outboard. The poor mans way of achieving something similar is with a couple
of delays. Send a feed from left channel to one delay and route its return
to the right channel Send a feed from the right channel through a different
delay and route its return to the left channel. As you bring up the returns
you will hear the mono sound appear to move back behind the speakers and
become more solid. You can experiment with the delay values but 23mS and
29mS are good starting points.

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 01:29:08 -0500, richard wrote
(in article ):

I'm kinda new to recording/producing voiceovers. I've got a setup that
gives me a nice sound - an AT 3060 (?I think) plugged into an M-box and
recording straight to HDD. But stuff I've listened to carefully with
headphones, e.g. radio VO's, are post-produced to give a nice depth (ok,
reverb, that's easy) and something which gives them a spatial effect, as
if they were recorded in stereo - anyone have pointers on what the
standard method of achieving that is? I'm working with CoolEditPro,
which offers plenty of options but I'd like a starting point.

ta.

don't record in stereo. Use stereo reverbs and slight delay for space.

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU