D MARSHALL

Default an old organ

what would a old valve hammond organ
fetch these days if i were to sell.

thanks

john

Gareth Magennis

possibly as much as an old car

"D MARSHALL" wrote in message
u...
what would a old valve hammond organ
fetch these days if i were to sell.

thanks

john

Lord Valve

D MARSHALL wrote:

what would a old valve hammond organ
fetch these days if i were to sell.

thanks

john

Model number, please. It'll be on a plate inside.

Anything with it? Tone cabinet, Leslie speaker?
Does it start with two switches or one?

Lord Valve
Expert

Lord Valve

D MARSHALL wrote:

model number is - L-111

The L-100 was the baby of the Hammond tonewheel line.

The second two digits in the model number tell you what
kind of furniture the guts are mounted in - French Provincial,
Modern, etc. All of these organs are collectively referred
to as "L-100s," as there are no differences (other than
the cabinet) between any of them.

It was essentially designed for housewives. It had a 15-W
amp on board, running two 12" speakers. It's a spinet, with
two 44-note manuals and a single octave of bass pedals.
An L-100 can be made to sound tolerable (barely) through
a Leslie cabinet, but it lacks the balls of the full-size consoles.

If the furniture is in good shape, you might be able to sell it
for $250. (I'm being optimistic here.) Otherwise, I've seen
people give these away. A good source of vintage parts -
Hammond used quality stuff. If the tubes are original, many
of them will be Mullards. The speakers may be Jensens.

Lord Valve
Expert

AIKEN DAVE

Depends on the model. The small B3 may be worth quite a bit but the bigger
models may only be worth $50. At one time a B3 in good condition was very
sought after and with a Leslie resale at a dealer could be over $2000. A friend
of mine paid $50 at a tag sale for a huge 2 manual Hammond with full pedal
board and bench.
It had a problem but I suspect if it were collectable it would have sold and
not been a tag sale leftover. A wonderful instrument but very heavy and very
big. Seems that most people are happy with a small "synthetic" keyboard these
days.
There is a Bluebook for organs but it may not reflect the real going price. Try
calling a few dealers and ask what your model number would cost if they had one
because you were thinking of buying one.
Lord Valve

AIKEN DAVE wrote:

Depends on the model. The small B3 may be worth quite a bit but the bigger
models may only be worth $50.

The B-3 was not "small."

I know, I own three of them. It weighs ~400 pounds. The only
organs Hammond made which were larger were the G-100
(a church model with no drawbars; it featured regular pipe-organ
type stops and toe pistons, and had a 32-note AGO style radiating
concave pedal clavier) and the RT-3, which is a B-3 with a 32-note
concave radiating pedalboard.

At one time a B3 in good condition was very
sought after and with a Leslie resale at a dealer could be over $2000.

You can't *touch* a B-3 for that kind of scratch.

A Leslie alone is fetching ~$1500 these days.

A friend
of mine paid $50 at a tag sale for a huge 2 manual Hammond with full pedal
board and bench.
It had a problem but I suspect if it were collectable it would have sold and
not been a tag sale leftover. A wonderful instrument but very heavy and very
big. Seems that most people are happy with a small "synthetic" keyboard these
days.
There is a Bluebook for organs but it may not reflect the real going price. Try
calling a few dealers and ask what your model number would cost if they had one
because you were thinking of buying one.

Stick to car stereos or whatever it is you know about.

Hammonds ain't your thing.

Lord Valve
Expert