Posted to rec.audio.tech
imstumped imstumped is offline

Default ion ittusb turntable

I've been trying to research the ION ITTUSB Turntable. I have
hundreds of albums that I'd like to convert to CD. The product
description tells me that I can transfer albums to CDs in "mere
minutes". Has anyone ever used this before and can you tell me how
long an average album would take to record? Will the album play in
real-time while recording?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide me.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"imstumped" wrote ...
I've been trying to research the ION ITTUSB Turntable. I have
hundreds of albums that I'd like to convert to CD.

The product appears to be an ordinary 33.3/45 RPM turntable with
built-in RIAA-equalized phono preamp and analog-to-digital
conversion via USB (to appear to be an external "sound card")

The product
description tells me that I can transfer albums to CDs in "mere
minutes". Has anyone ever used this before and can you tell me how
long an average album would take to record? Will the album play in
real-time while recording?

There is no indication that it will do anything other than play
the disc in real time. It even mentions that it will do 78RPM,
but only with special software (which likely adjusts the timing
problem and maybe even the equalization).

You could possibly connect it to a standalone audio CD
recorder and make CD transfers in "real time", but it might
not provide proper breaks between tracks.

I believe there is application software available for your computer
to take the audio from the turntable (or a cassette player, or
whatever) and automatically detect breaks between tracks. But
most of us here likely just record each track to a separate file
and then "trim" the files (remove noise and extra dead space
at the beginning and end). Frequently people will do other things
like "normalize" track levels (volume), remove noise, etc.

Over on rec.audio.pro is currently running a long discussion
called "Legality of offering transcription service from LP to digital".
The first part of it features arguments back and forth of whether it
is legal for 3rd parties to offier services to transcribe others' LPs
to CD, MP3, etc. You can skip that part as it generated a lot of heat
but predictably almost no useful light.

But the more recent discussion has been about how people
are doing LP transcriptions. Note especially that preparation
of the discs (i.e. cleaning) is critical to getting a good sound.
While there is mention of some very expensive and esoteric
equipment for disc cleaning, there are also more mundane
and reasonable methods of disc cleaning.

Note that there are many resources online which provide
tutorials on how to do LP transcriptions, what software to
use, disc cleaning, etc. etc. etc.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

"imstumped" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been trying to research the ION ITTUSB Turntable. I have
hundreds of albums that I'd like to convert to CD. The product
description tells me that I can transfer albums to CDs in "mere
minutes". Has anyone ever used this before and can you tell me how
long an average album would take to record? Will the album play in
real-time while recording?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide me.

These really don't look like very good turntables from a hi-fi standpoint.
I'd like to know more about the cartridge and the tonearm before I'd want to
play my records on one.

There are USB phono preamps that will do the same thing with any decent
turntable fitted with a magnetic cartridge. I'm using an ARTcessories USB
Phono Plus. They run less than 100.00.

Alternatively, any ordinary receiver or integrated amp from the '70s or '80s
would have a mag phono preamp built in. You could use that, taking the REC
Out signal to your sound card Line IN jack (NOT the Mic In).

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

imstumped wrote:

I've been trying to research the ION ITTUSB Turntable. I have
hundreds of albums that I'd like to convert to CD. The product
description tells me that I can transfer albums to CDs in "mere
minutes". Has anyone ever used this before and can you tell me how
long an average album would take to record? Will the album play in
real-time while recording?

Yes.

You'll probably get better results with a decent secondhand turntable and
suitable pre-amp and interface. The ION is a pretty ****ty turntable.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jocelyn Major[_2_] Jocelyn Major[_2_] is offline

Eeyore a écrit :

imstumped wrote:

I've been trying to research the ION ITTUSB Turntable. I have
hundreds of albums that I'd like to convert to CD. The product
description tells me that I can transfer albums to CDs in "mere
minutes". Has anyone ever used this before and can you tell me how
long an average album would take to record? Will the album play in
real-time while recording?

Yes.

You'll probably get better results with a decent secondhand turntable and
suitable pre-amp and interface. The ION is a pretty ****ty turntable.

Graham

Better stay away from this crappy turntable. It come with a plastic (yes
plastic) platter, a plastic headshell, ultra low end tonearm and a
very low end cartridge. I received this piece of crap it my store and I
tried it. It is simply awfull. Better get yourself a used turntable on
Ebay with a cheap preamp connect to your line input of your sound card.
The result will be much better for far less money. The Ion turntable
come with Audacity that you can download free from this web site:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net

By the way as the product description says: You can trasfert album to
CD's in "mere" minutes by playing your LP at 45 and slowing it back to
normal speed on your computer with Audacity. For your info I transfered
a 45 min. Lp in 33 min to the computer and after converting it back to
the good speed and burning, trying to remove the ringing noise created
by the platter of the Ion turntable and burning it to a cd add another
15 minutes so I end up at close to 50 min. So it took a "mere" 50
minutes to get a very bad copy of one LP.

You really do not want to buy that piece of crap.

Jocelyn