Michael McKelvy

Default Hafler (the first MOSFET? I don't think so)

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
"Sander deWaal" emitted :

I still have a Sony amp from 1975, but they used VFETS, not MOSFET's. If

you
overlook the device construction difference, then I think Sony were the
first to use high power FET's in a power amp. Sony invented the VFET,

the
Hitachi power MosFET's came later.

IIRC, Yamaha had an amp around that time (B1 or B2?) with 2SK77
MOSFETS. A giant beast, and those transistors looked like 2N3055s on
steroids (twice the size of a TO-3) . Cool!

What is the general consensus for the sound of MOSFET amps? I had a
Session guitar amp that employed MOSFETs, was very clean but clinical
sounding vs tube amps.

Like home hi fi amps guitar amps made with tubes generate Euphonic
distortion, that is distortion that pleases the ear, or at least the person
playing a guitar through one.

Tube amps are preferred by many if not most guitar players because they
distort in a way that allows them another way to create.

MOSFET's don't distort audibly unless over driven (or badly designed or
broken). For other instruments MOSFET would be the more likely choice.

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

dave weil

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:18:17 -0800, "Michael McKelvy"
wrote:

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You mean like flute amplifiers?

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
[...]

Generally, tube guitar amp distortion is different from that of an audio
tube amp.
It is purposefully accentuated.

Michael McKelvy

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
[...]

Which is the point I was making. They do things with distortion that SS amps
don't and therefore are useful in helping the guitarist express himself.

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
[...]

Most guitar palyers would find an audio tube amp, outfitted with appropriate
inputs, useless.

Michael McKelvy

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
[...]

So do most audiophiles, but that's not the point I was making. Tubes
distort. The distortion of tube amp that a guitar player might use is
useful for creating music. The distortion an tube used in a home hi-fi
creates, is just distortion. That some persons like that distortion is
their choice.

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
[...]

It is not the same distortion, so please don't compare them.

Arny Krueger

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
[...]

This reply rather obviously demonstrates the sockpuppet's lack of
understanding of distortion in audio circuits. Note that he's always run and
hid whenever I asked him about his educational credentials. He knows more
about audio than I do because that's what the voices in his head tell him.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
[...]

I knw more about what a tube audio amp and a tube guitar amp sound like.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:09:15 -0500, "Sockpuppet Yustabe"
wrote:

[...]

Obviously not, since you claim that the distortions are different. The
plain fact is that the distortion mechanisms are identical, although
the guitar amp may well have higher levels (aside from SETs).

Arny Krueger

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

Tubes distort. The distortion of tube amp that a guitar player
might use is useful for creating music. The distortion an tube
used in a home hi-fi creates, is just distortion. That some
persons like that distortion is their choice.

It is not the same distortion, so please don't compare them.

This reply rather obviously demonstrates the sockpuppet's lack of
understanding of distortion in audio circuits. Note that he's always run

and
hide whenever I asked him about his educational credentials. He knows
more about audio than I do because that's what the voices in his
head tell him.

I knw more about what a tube audio amp and a tube guitar amp sound like.

I'll bet you "knw" more about *everything* than I do, sockpuppet.

LOL!