psongman

Default Connections between digital mixer and a digital recorder?

Hi, the Tascam board is down, so I am asking this group for much
needed advice. I have a Tascam TMD1000 digital mixer and have acquired
a Fostex VF08. Now, I know they both have spdif connections. So, lets
say I record two tracks on the VF08, using my mixer as a preamp, so I
can get a decent signal coming in. Then I want to record another set
of tracks on let's say 3 and 4, while listening to 1 and 2. I believe
by using the spdif connections this can be accomplished. So, how do I
go about this? If there would be a better setup, then inform me. I
really want to get some demos made this fall and burned to CD. I will
await your expertise before forging ahead, Derrick
S O'Neill

Vladan wrote:
Since Tascam is TDIF while Fostex is ADAT, I guess youd need one TDIF
to ADAT converter, Tascam would probably be very happy to sell one,
now and then. That way your machines could comunicate 8 tracks at a
time, instead of 2, as it is with SPDIF.

Not to mention all 8 in sync. Tascam's IF-TAD, if I remember correctly.

psongman

Hi, thanks for the tidbits. What I am trying to achieve is a setup
where I can turn on the digital mixer then the Fostex VF08 with the
mics, keys and guitar cables plugged into the mixer, with the outputs
of the mixer going either into the 2 main inputs on the Fostex or the
spdif connections. In another rephrasing, would this be more
advantageous? Thanks for the input and PLEASE respond if you have had
any experience in this basic demo-making setup. IAT, Derrick
Vladan

On 16 Oct 2003 14:17:36 -0700, (psongman) wrote:

Hi, thanks for the tidbits. What I am trying to achieve is a setup
where I can turn on the digital mixer then the Fostex VF08 with the
mics, keys and guitar cables plugged into the mixer, with the outputs
of the mixer going either into the 2 main inputs on the Fostex or the
spdif connections.

So, what's stoping you? If I understand you well, you want to submix
whatever No. of channels from rolland to 2 tracks on Fostex, right? If
I do, please read the following. If I don't, it'll be of use for
someone else.

You can do that.

That would leave 6 empty tracks for other instruments. It's quite good
setup for recording the whole band live, at once. For example, you
could plug 4, 6, 8 (I'm not really familiar with roland mixer) drum
mics in your roland, make a mix and route that to fostex, while having
the rest of the band pluged directly into vf08's remaining 6 chanels
(bass, guit1, guit2, vox, bvox, keys). Of course, this is just an
example. You may find better to separate kick and snare,and put rytham
guitar and backing vox togrther with the rest of the drums, or any
other combination.

In another rephrasing, would this be more
advantageous?

Unless you are recording whole band at once, I don't think ther's much
point in conecting roland at all. Fostex' pres are probably not worse
(if not better). Maybe if roland is equiped enough, you could apply
some compression and/ or EQ in recording.

Roland could be of use in the mixdown, especially if conected via TDIF
to ADAT interface. As I understand it is now (SPDIF only), you should
be able to feed roland 4 separate tracks from fostex. MainL, MainR
(via SPDIF), Sendl and SendR (via analog). If you are carefull with
paning and asigning, after getting it almost done in Fostex, you
should be able to give lots of aditional polish in roland, before
recording the mix to a 2tr master machine. For instance, you could go
Kick and bass, snare to MainL, Lead Guitar and Vox to MainR, Rytham
guit to sendL, keys to sendR and the rest of the drums panned to these
two apropriately (as recorded).

By the way, when not on PC, I use VF16 conected via ADAT to EZBus.
Before that I used to go 8 tracks via VC8 + 4 as described above into
Behringer MX8000 in mix and oposite direction in recording.
Vladan
www.geocities.com/vla_dan_l
www.mp3.com/lesly , www.mp3.com/shook , www.mp3.com/lesly2
www.kunsttick.com/artists/vuskovic/indexdat.htm

Vladan

Of course, if your mixer is not Rolland, but is Tascam, everything I
wrote still stands.

Vladan
www.geocities.com/vla_dan_l
www.mp3.com/lesly , www.mp3.com/shook , www.mp3.com/lesly2
www.kunsttick.com/artists/vuskovic/indexdat.htm
Vladan

Of course, if your mixer is not Rolland, but is Tascam, everything I
wrote still stands.

Vladan
www.geocities.com/vla_dan_l
www.mp3.com/lesly , www.mp3.com/shook , www.mp3.com/lesly2
www.kunsttick.com/artists/vuskovic/indexdat.htm

F.S. tons of studio/keyboard/rack gear Cheapgear1 Pro Audio 5 April 18th 08 04:58 PM
Newbie: which is the best digital audio mixer for a beginner? Billy the Kid Pro Audio 1 September 10th 03 11:40 PM
Digital Mixer Pro Audio 10 August 11th 03 08:09 PM
FS: Yamaha 01V digital mixer EXCELLENT CONDITION [email protected] Pro Audio 0 July 27th 03 09:23 AM
2-4 channel mixer with mic-pres and digital outputs cvsound Pro Audio 3 July 3rd 03 01:57 AM