spazzwig

Default Alpine CDA-9815 vs Clarion DXZ835MP

Hi,

I'm getting a new head unit this weak and am trying to decide between
the Alpine 9815 and Clarion 835MP.

I have experience with Alpine and love their units, so I'm leaning in
that direction. However, the Clarion has been recommended to me and has
a good rep, so I thought I would try and get some feedback on it,
particularly in comparison to the Alpine. My main interest is in the mp3
capabilities of each, and disk reliability. I am wary of non Alpine
units in regards to reliability as I've seen several units (mainly Sony
and Pioneer) start to skip randomly after a year or so, apparently due
to the laser tracking calibration failing (causing skips on clean
scratch free disks at generally the same time index).

So, any comments about each unit and how they compare would be greatly
appreciated, especially regarding mp3 performance/features (latency
between tracks, file navigation, etc.) and the reliability of the cd
transport/reading mechanism.

I'm confident in the Alpine, but if I can save a hundred bucks with the
Clarion and there aren't any points against it and it meets my needs,
then I would like to know. I could put the hundred bucks towards an amp
purchase or speaker upgrade. Choosing something other than Alpine is
going to take some convincing for me though...

Thanks in advance,
Gabe
--
spazzwig