Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

Default GZ34 worship!

Some people are totally nuts!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mullard-GZ34-meta...item2a023804f7

US$47 at this time with 5 bids.

Cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Nov 2, 3:21*pm, Engineer wrote:
Some people are totally nuts!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mullard-GZ34-meta...mZ180425852151...

US$47 at this time with 5 bids.

Cheers,
Roger

An NIB Dynaco-labeled tube sold for nearly US$200 some little bit ago.
That $47 ain't nothing yet. Funny to think I have a semester's tuition
to our local state college sitting in my spares box.

And the solid-state replacements sell in the US$30s or so including
the slow-start characteristics.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Fu Knee Fu Knee is offline

On Nov 3, 7:33�am, Peter Wieck wrote:
On Nov 2, 3:21�pm, Engineer wrote:

Some people are totally nuts!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mullard-GZ34-meta...mZ180425852151...

US$47 at this time with 5 bids.

Cheers,
Roger

An NIB Dynaco-labeled tube sold for nearly US$200 some little bit ago.
That $47 ain't nothing yet. Funny to think I have a semester's tuition
to our local state college sitting in my spares box.

And the solid-state replacements sell in the US$30s or so including
the slow-start characteristics.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Hi RATs!

These days, many feel emboldened to publicly insult every one they
don't like.

No matter how petty their deep, personal sense of outrage.

It is possible you are truly doing God's will, I guess.

Just seems like you are being a self righteous moron, to me.

But, hey, you started this thread.

Dig it or frig it.

It is a free country. No matter how low you wish to take it.

Happy Ears!
Al

PS An undercover agent in a nearby city was able to purchase sexual
access to a twelve year old girl. The price was $200.00. Some of us
know true outrage. The rest of you worry about the price. Ain't
freedom a bitch?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 3, 9:08*am, Fu Knee wrote:
[...]

It's up to $66 at this time with 6 bids.
Al, I don't know the would-be buyers so cannot claim to like or
dislike them but, as a group, I do think they are nuts... and, as you
will agree, freedom brings the right to be one!
The good news is that I have a couple of GZ34's in my tube inventory.
At this rate I can't afford to keep them... the opportunity cost is
getting too high!
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 5, 12:14*am, "Alex" wrote:
And the solid-state replacements sell in the US$30s or so including
the slow-start characteristics.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Alex:
Never thought that someone would be imitating slow start. How do they do it?

MOSFET in series controlled via an optocoupler from an RC circuit powered
from an additional rectifier of the heater voltage?

My guess is a much simpler device based on thermistors. At the going
rate of something between $15 and $35, and given the range of sizes -
from about the size of a typical 'button' tube to nearly as large as
the glass original, there is not a whole lot of room inside to mess
about with cascaded MOSFETs.

Again, guessing, the cheaper versions are straight-up solid-state
diodes and maybe a couple of resistors across the filament pins
(maybe). But the more expensive versions claiming the slow-start
system use thermistors.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article
,
Peter Wieck wrote:

On Nov 5, 12:14*am, "Alex" wrote:
[...]

I don't understand how thermistors could provide "slow-start" for the B+
voltage, I would think the capacitor following the rectifier is still
going to charge up to nearly 1.41 times the RMS transformer secondary
voltage until the power tubes warm up and start drawing current from the
rectifier, thermistors or not? Perhaps it is all in how you choose to
define "slow-start".

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Nov 3, 6:58*pm, flipper wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:36:11 -0800 (PST), Engineer

wrote:
On Nov 3, 9:08*am, Fu Knee wrote:
[...]

How do you determine 'nuts'?

A cursory google indicates those prices are not at the 'nut' stage, at
least as compared to the 'going price' on most places.

The good news is that I have a couple of GZ34's in my tube inventory.
At this rate I can't afford to keep them... the opportunity cost is
getting too high!

If they're Mullards with a metal base.

If you want 'nuts', take a gander at this site's prices.

https://www.tubeworld.com/5ar4.htm

1 tube $795) GZ34 Philips Miniwatt Holland NOS (rS1-55B=1955) SMOOTH
SPOT WELDED PLATES - double D getter halos - original box

They've got some GEs for a mere $60, though.

Athttp://www.tubedepot.com/5ar4.htmlthe 'whatever NOS we have' is
$139 each.

Oh, no. When I went to check I just discovered my favorite tube
source, radiodaze, is out of the tube business. Nuts.

Cheers,
Roger

Holy cathodes, Batman!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 5, 11:03*pm, "Alex" wrote:
"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in messagenews:g3v3f5tpf6aeuscpqdv2rmgeb1b8r1jhbk@4ax .com...

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 21:14:44 -0800, "Alex" wrote:

Never thought that someone would be imitating slow start. How do they do

it?

A couple of NTC thermistors in series. High initial resistance decreasing
with temperature. Plus power R's if you need valve-like source R.

I see... Cheating... It might not start-up at all if the load is light,
e.g., output tube pulled out of the radio. However for typical applications
this thermistor solution is smart enough.

There are those who would suggest that using tubes is 'cheating'.

In any case the (a) resistor in the diode circuit could provide heat
if necessary. Further to this, the 15V +/- voltage drop across the two
diodes would be about right as well.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 5, 11:05*pm, Peter Wieck wrote:
On Nov 5, 11:03*pm, "Alex" wrote:

[...]

Probably the issue of delayed B+ or slowed B+ turn on has been
discussed a thousand times during my last 9 years at this group.
I've forgotten much of what was said.

In my latest amp project I have a remote PSU for 2 x 60W SE amps with
6 x 6550 in each.
The anode supply is +484V at 700mA and there is a screen/driver/input
supply of +430V at 150mA.

I don't use GZ34 for the B+ supply because I would need about 5 of
them.

I do have some two pairs of 6A rated Si diodes in series on each side
of the 410V-0-410V HT winding.
Why would anyone use GZ34, ever?

For the 700mA anode supply there is a 4 ohm resistance in series with
the diodes before they charge two 60uF motor start caps in series
which gives 30uF. Then I have a 2.5H choke feeding 705uF made up of 6
x 470uF 350V caps.
Then there are two 36 ohm 20W R from the 705uF feeding two lots of
470uF made up from 4 in series/parallel and this gives a fairly
resonance free supply to each 60W channel.
I also have a 1uF +100 ohm R series network across the choke which
makes it have a damped parallel resonance at 100Hz and thus reduces
100Hz ripple after C2 by about 15dB; ie, it makes the L act as though
is was 10H not 2.5H.
The choke has 18 ohms dcr.
The only delay I have is a 25 ohm R in series with the 240V mains
input to the 1.1kVA power tranny I have. After 4 seconds when the B+
has risen to about 70% of its final initial value of 550V the relay
closes and another slight surge with inrush current happens when the B
+ goes to 550V.
After about 12 seconds the 6550 cathodes begin emission and the the B+
gracefully sags to the wanted 484V.

The ripple voltage at the 30uF of C1 is about 50Vrms. But for the time
the initial charge up is occuring the dc outflow from C1 is large even
with the 25 ohms and so the ripple voltage is also quite high. The
peak charge current is somewhat low because of this arrangement. I
could have had a large value cap for C1 and allowed the C1 voltage to
stay at about +550V then I'd have needed a dropping resistance to get
my wanted +484V, and that would have produced 46W of wasted heat so it
was far better to just use C1 caps that have high reactance values,
53ohms in this case, and allow the rectifier output Vdc to be a bit
low. Reactances don't dissipate heat. My supply runs nice and cool.
There is a small amount of transformer noise.
Should a tube decide to conduct far more Idc than it should, the amp
will turn off, but if the protect circuit fails then the extra Idc
could go to 1.2A with just one 6550 becoming saturated. The ripple
voltage would go much higher and B+ would sag, and the there is a 4A
fuse between HTwinding CT and 0V. Plus a mains fuse of 4A. Both a fast
blow types.
About all I needed was the delay R of 25 ohms which also restricts the
large currents when you have to heat up cold cathode filaments when
the dcr is low.

I don't see any reason to have a greater inrush delay than I do.

In a Quad-II amp with GZ34 or GZ32, the B+ surges up to about +440V
well before the output KT66 turn themselves on.
So the tube rectifier does not delay B+ at all.

I tried using a GZ34 in series with B+ to make a slow turn on series
diode after using Si diodes into 100uF with a further RC following
filter. It was pointless because the B+ still went way up before the
OP tubes pulled it down to about 380V at the OPT CT.

The simplest way to have adelay if you must is to uses voltage
doubler supply where one might have a 200Vac HT winding which can be
controlled by an easy to get 240V rated mains relay. Then the delay
can be made for 20 seconds, and you have hot tubes and there is a
considerable inrush to charge up a bunch of caps as well as the
initial flow of Ia in the tubes with wobbles and surges as the whole
driver/input amp comes alive as well. So one might need to have some
series R to slow this process and avoid excessive peak charge currents
to allow a useful fuse value.
Its not too hard to have two resistances in series with the 200Vac HT
winding and shunt one at 10 seconds and the other 6 seconds later.
This allows two fairly slow step ups of the B+.

I hate mains thermistors after seeing so many of them fail dismally in
amps. If you turn off an amp while the thermistor is hot and then on
again soon afterwards, the purpose of the thermistor is lost, as the
extra current can make them overheat, maybe explode.

After building SE amps with 6 x 6550in each I realised that one MIGHT
get nice sound with a single 6550 but when you use 6 of them you
vanquish all doubt.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Nov 7, 3:24*pm, François Yves Le Gal wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 02:55:05 -0800 (PST), Patrick Turner

wrote:
Why would anyone use GZ34, ever?

Go mercury...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ury_Arc_Valve%...

125KV, thusands of amps...

Yabbut.... REALLY noisy!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Alex is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

In my latest amp project I have a remote PSU for 2 x 60W SE amps with
6 x 6550 in each.
The anode supply is +484V at 700mA and there is a screen/driver/input
supply of +430V at 150mA.

Alex:
In our days of carbon emissions reduction frenzy design, possession, sale
and operation of 120W class A (!) tube amplifiers shall be made illegal...

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:
Why would anyone use GZ34, ever?

Go mercury...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ury_Arc_Valve%...

125KV, thusands of amps...

So when you have a choke input supply with two of those 125KV
thingies, what size is the choke?

And after the choke, would i have to use electrolytics or would
polypropylene caps souind better?

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

wrote:
Why would anyone use GZ34, ever?

Go mercury...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ury_Arc_Valve%...

125KV, thusands of amps...

So when you have a choke input supply with two of those 125KV
thingies, what size is the choke?

And after the choke, would i have to use electrolytics or would
polypropylene caps souind better?

Patrick Turner.

I would recommend two 8ft by 4ft sheets of 20 gauge aluminium separated
by an oil cloth.

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 8, 7:21*am, François Yves Le Gal wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:27:13 -0800, "Alex" wrote:
In our days of carbon emissions reduction frenzy design, possession, sale
and operation of 120W class A (!) tube amplifiers shall be made illegal....

Go class D, use headphones, not just good ideas, that the LAW.
:-)

BTW, our eurocrats have already outlawed 100W incandescent light bulbs....

If you read what James Lovelock has to say about greenhouse heating of
the Planet in his latest book, you will see that we are already well
into the danger zone.

We are a species that fouls its own nest, and does too little too late
to avoid a problem that is slow to affect us.

Anyway, the amps I have just made consume about 500W when used. But
the switch many ppl are making towards "digital" amplifiers, class D,
which are 96% efficient is offsetting the effect steam engines that I
am still making in tiny numbers. I didn't have any children which is
the worst thing anyone could do to a planet. There are too many ppl
doing too many things that are destructive here already. If we all
just didn't breed for 25 years and spent the time instead fixing the
major problems we'd be OK but it ain't never gonna happen. Most of the
young are driven uncontrolably to ****.
I liked to **** when I was young but I wasn't going to breed unless
everything looked like it would work out. It never did for me. Much of
the time I wondered what on earth was the point of breeding. Everyone
who doesn't breed leaves more in the world for those who do. So If I
make a few tube amps, so what?

People are buying houses here which are twice the size of those their
parents bought 30 years ago. The way ppl live generally even though
they don't have any interest in hi-fi seems to consume much more
energy than 30 years ago and in fact each succeeding generation seems
to want more and more than the last which helps prove that the more
they get, the more they want and the less satisfied they become.

Lightbulbs are about to be completely outlawed here. But ligthing is
only 10% of the problem. The real problem is hot water and air
conditioning and travelling and farming and all the other things.
If we had 6 billion people living like they did 100 years ago their
energy per head might have been 50W/hr.
But now everyone wants to have access to 2kW/hr to sustain a modern
western way of life.

What goes up must come down, and if we dig up vast amounts of carbon
which took millions of years to be buried underground and send it
skyward in a couple of centuries then the temperature will rise, and
our cleverness will backfire us down.

I think things will get increasingly unstable with oscillations in
temperatures and weather until finally settling at a much warmer
climate. Life will of course go on for millions of years because the
earth will not be consumed by an expanding sun for another 1/2 billion
years. Our species will get a kick or two in the butt before then
though, and from the boot we made ourselves.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 07:23:09 -0800 (PST), Patrick Turner
wrote:

[...]

You are talking about global cooling? You appear to be suggesting that
it would be a good idea to make it happen even quicker than it is
right now.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 9, 2:29*am, François Yves Le Gal wrote:
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 00:51:51 -0800 (PST), Patrick Turner

wrote:
So when you have a choke input supply with two of those 125KV
thingies, what size is the choke?

Here is the choke room at a secret US facility:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...er_Dam%27s_gen...

Eight chokes in wells with a secondary water cooling system. They want you
to believe that they are generators, but they are chokes for the ultimate
single ended amplifier... Two megawatts from a single Eimac bottle !

Class C?

http://www.triodeel.com/cemco.jpg

And after the choke, would i have to use electrolytics or would
polypropylene caps souind better?

Paper in oil is the only way to go.
:-)

And I guess the girl's name is Harmonic Desirabelle, no?

But is it not becomming a trend to send power long distance along
transmission lines with DC currents?

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:
[...]

d- Hide quoted text -

Global cooling may be appear to be happening.

What I suggested was that there will be instability with the climate
as it progresses to a settled state of being hotter.
The instability will be periods of years where we think its trending
hotter, and then cooler, before finally settling on being a lot
hotter. In 1976 I recall many said that the global pollution we are
spewing skywards would cause an ice age. To some extent the
particulate matter that is circulating in the air as a result of
mankind's activities is causing cooling, or a reduction of the rate of
heating. Although many might say we are on a cooling trend now I think
the records will show that arctic ice and antarctic ice is undergoing
a net depletion and only if the ice caps were undergoing a substantial
net increase could we say there is real cooling. If you look at
glacial retreat around the world, there is further evidence of gradual
warming.
If the average T rises 0.05 degrees a year, it takes 100 years to go 5
degrees average warmer. The amount of yearly increase seems trifling,
and to not even be happening. But 100 years is a tiny amount of time
compared to say when the last ice age occurred, or to when the last
hot age where there was no ice caps and sea levels were 100M higher.
Because the changes to the CO2 % levels look set to trend up for 50
years despite the slow addoption of alternatives like nuclear power
and solar power with collectors the size of Texas, ppl will have to
get used to hotter weather. Many ppl now like it hot, and thrive in
hot climates; older folks retire to Miami, or from southern cool
cities like Melbourne to Brisbane. But in 50 years Brisbane may have
weather like Jakata, and with major cyclones each year. And the
coastal cities and towns which cost so much for previous generations
to build will be subject to major flooding. There isn't much evidence
of sea level rise yet. But once that process gets underway it will
panick a lot of people.
I have lived here in Canberra since 1972, and have seen an overall
trend to many more days where C max goes over 30C, and to warmer
winters. Its been 15 years since I saw my swimming pool get an
overnight layer if ice. Before that I got it at least several nights a
year.

100 years is time enough for 4 generations of people to get used to
things getting hotter.
Large tracts of land will become available in the northern hemisphere
for development.
But methinks living in the tropics could get so wild during cyclone
seasons that many areas will be unviable.
Gradually many people will vote with their feet, and move away north
or south. This mainly means hordes of little brown people going where
they ain't welcome. If there are mas starvations, so be it; its just
Nature's way of dealing with a problem species. The Bible says the
Lord said go forth and multiply, and subjugate all of Nature to the
glory of God. This of course is utter BS, because God doesn't exist as
believers imagine he does. God is there all right but He, She, or It
don't give a **** about any of us. And we have gone forth, and we have
bred like rabbits, and the paddock is now full of rabbits, and it is
still nearly every marrying couple's dream to have children, and they
complain bitterly about the cost of living, ie, the cost of living
like a king and queen. They expect everyone else to do something about
the environment. They think they are doing their bit to stop using
light bulbs and stop using plastic shopping bags and even stop buying
tube amps. They prefer a massive TV set to play movies where the
sirens and police and explosions reign supreme. They buy a Toyota
Prious for $39,000 instead of something costing less to replace but
which is still fairly efficient. They will not buy a bicycle. Those
billions scraping along in 3rd world countries on motorcycles dream of
a car. But when you do the total picture of carbon accounting, all
the little people of the world in both rich and poor countries are
wanting ****en this and ****en that are net INCREASING CO2 emissions.
They are addicted to dreaming of a materially well off future, and
addicted to consumerism, and the more they get, the more insecure and
anxious they become so the more junk food they eat so national
waistline measurements are trending up like C02.

We are an extremely flawed species. We are like the farmer who comes
to his land, and leaves it in far worse condition then when he came.

Planet Earth is feeling sick and is getting a temperature. She might
have a good spew to get rid of us.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

I think things will get increasingly unstable with oscillations in
temperatures and weather until finally settling at a much warmer
climate. Life will of course go on for millions of years because the
earth will not be consumed by an expanding sun for another 1/2 billion
years.

There is always the chance that earth will be wiped out by a collision
with a giant space rock long before it is consumed by an expanding sun.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

facility:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...over_Dam%27s_g
en...

Eight chokes in wells with a secondary water cooling system. They want you
to believe that they are generators, but they are chokes for the ultimate
single ended amplifier... Two megawatts from a single Eimac bottle !

I would bet that it takes two of those Eimac bottles to make Two
megawatts, actually in excess of 8 megawatts peak power.

Class C?

http://www.triodeel.com/cemco.jpg

Do you remember the type number on that "bottle"? If it is a triode I
would bet that they are connected as a Doherty linear amplifier, not
class C. If it is a tetrode they are probably connected as a screen
modulated Doherty amplifier, again not really class C.

IIRC these tubes were used in a high power AM broadcast transmitter
built by Continental Electronics, I think I have the Continental catalog
sheet for this transmitter somewhere around here, or am I totally
confused about where this tube was used, having a senior moment?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

In our days of carbon emissions reduction frenzy design,
possession, sale
and operation of 120W class A (!) tube amplifiers shall
be made illegal...

Go class D, use headphones, not just good ideas, that the
LAW.
:-)

BTW, our eurocrats have already outlawed 100W
incandescent light bulbs...

If you read what James Lovelock has to say about greenhouse
heating of
the Planet in his latest book, you will see that we are
already well
into the danger zone.

**Only if you believe he knows the truth. Are you sure he
said we are, rather than possibly, or probably? It's hardly
an exact science. It is not good propoganda to say that we
are already beyond some point of no return, obviously, coz
ppl will give up and redouble their profligacy. May as well
die happy.

We are a species that fouls its own nest, and does too
little too late
to avoid a problem that is slow to affect us.

**Everything fouls its own nest. We had a nice caustic
atmosphere until it was trashed by a previous bunch of
witless organisms.

Anyway, the amps I have just made consume about 500W when
used. But
the switch many ppl are making towards "digital" amplifiers,
class D,
which are 96% efficient is offsetting the effect steam
engines that I
am still making in tiny numbers. I didn't have any children
which is
the worst thing anyone could do to a planet.

**LOL, which is rare here, for me. Ask not what our children
can do for our planet, but what our planet can do for our
children. Having none, perhaps you have missed the point?

There are too many ppl
doing too many things that are destructive here already. If
we all
just didn't breed for 25 years and spent the time instead
fixing the
major problems we'd be OK but it ain't never gonna happen.
Most of the
young are driven uncontrolably to ****.

**So they don't starve when they get old. The calculus of
****ing continues to confound even the most advanced
societies. Pensions in capitalist states have weakened its
fundamental dynamic but kids are still socially necessary,
so the state jiggles the costs. The delay in this feedback
loop, together with the hysteresis arising from religion and
other forces of tradition, lead to overshoots and
oscillations. Increasingly, migration is globalising the
issues (er..as it were). The maths, as with most social and
environmental problems, gets too big and complicated for
analysis to grasp. China knew that but went ahead and
grappled with it anyway. Basically successful but very
problematic.

**All those years ago, when China had embarked on its
population control programme, my Branch received a
delegation sent by the CPC to explain what they were up to.
They were engagingly earnest and optimistic, calculating and
humane, and very disciplined. Something had to be done, and
that was the best plan they could think of. They predicted
all the problems we have seen since, but couldn't quantify
many of them. Better than mass starvation or civil war, or
both, they said, as far as it seemed to them possible to
know such things. Better red than dead, they said, more or
less; with considerable trepidation because they were
conscious of making the biggest decision in the history of
the world.

I liked to **** when I was young but I wasn't going to breed
unless
everything looked like it would work out. It never did for
me. Much of
the time I wondered what on earth was the point of breeding.
Everyone
who doesn't breed leaves more in the world for those who do.
So If I
make a few tube amps, so what?

**Best to keep a low profile. Open defiance rankles with
regulators.

[...]

**Capitalism entails and depends upon economic growth, as do
all preceeding forms of social organisation. That's the
fundamental issue that Communism addresses. In Socialist
states managed by Communist Parties, growth may not be
necessary but it is still desirable. No system has a good
record of using resources efficiently. However, China seems
to me to be the most likely, perhaps the only, state able to
take the bull by the horns. Elsewhere, politicians have
visions but can't implement decisions.

I think things will get increasingly unstable with
oscillations in
temperatures and weather until finally settling at a much
warmer
climate. Life will of course go on for millions of years
because the
earth will not be consumed by an expanding sun for another
1/2 billion
years. Our species will get a kick or two in the butt before
then
though, and from the boot we made ourselves.

**Any number of things might happen. Life, albeit not us,
may survive a supernova. I don't think we know a great deal
about them. Your conclusion is simplistic, of course:
climate is much more than temperature, and the environment
is much more than climate.

**At the root of all this is a basic question of philosophy,
about the relationship between quality and quantity of life.
Given the choice, what kind of things should we consider
when trading one for the other? We could decide to have no
children, stuff ourselves stupid with all the earth's
resources, and use our valve amps to the end. Or we could be
miserly and miserable ****ers for eons.

**Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Nov 10, 3:39*am, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

At the root of all this is a basic question of philosophy,
about the relationship between quality and quantity of life.
Given the choice, what kind of things should we consider
when trading one for the other? We could decide to have no
children, stuff ourselves stupid with all the earth's
resources, and use our valve amps to the end. Or we could be
miserly and miserable ****ers for eons.

Mpffff... Not hardly the way it works. The purpose of any given
species is to prepare the way for the next species just a little
better at competing for that particular ecological niche. At present
we are preparing for a species that will survive a high-carbon
atmosphere with a high relative humidity, higher sea-levels - but
slightly less salt concentration, a greater amount of sulphur and
various other gaseous products-of-combustion around as well as various
analogous solids - mercury, cadmium and similar.

The planet has gone from primarily soft life, to exoskeletons to
backbones, from cold blooded to warm blooded, from copper-based blood
to iron-based, and each form of life got pretty complicated before it
was displaced as the dominant form. And each form of life tried
different approaches - size, quantity, speed, only relatively recently
brains. All humans are doing is accelerating the process very
slightly. And all we are doing is relocating the various elements from
one form and location to another, discounting the miniscule amounts
being shot into space of course.

So, we best serve our purpose by behaving exactly as we do - and
pretty much as every other species does - reproduce like mad, use it
up and stop adapting, stop changing, stop evolving. Once that happens
as a species we are doomed - after which it is only a matter of time.
And as one would put down a beloved pet when it is clear that it is in
pain and cannot be made better - we should more-or-less treat
ourselves the same way. And make way for our replacements in the next
several million years or so - a tiny fraction of time as the earth
measures things anyway. Keeping always in mind that nature does not
particularly care about intelligence except as a way for a species to
dominate its niche a little bit better. But the right virus at the
right moment proves how little brains really mean in the scheme of
things.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
PeterD PeterD is offline

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:39:56 -0000, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

In our days of carbon emissions reduction frenzy design,
possession, sale
and operation of 120W class A (!) tube amplifiers shall
be made illegal...

Go class D, use headphones, not just good ideas, that the
LAW.
:-)

BTW, our eurocrats have already outlawed 100W
incandescent light bulbs...

If you read what James Lovelock has to say about greenhouse
heating of
the Planet in his latest book, you will see that we are
already well
into the danger zone.

Just because he said something doesn't make it true, or a valid
conclusion.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 10, 8:36*am, PeterD wrote:

Just because he said something doesn't make it true, or a valid
conclusion.

Of course not. In any case the quicker we hasten our departure the
quicker the next dominant species evolves. That it will do so is an
historical absolute, all we are doing is dickering over the timing.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 9, 12:37*pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article
,
*Patrick Turner wrote:

I think things will get increasingly unstable with oscillations in
temperatures and weather until finally settling at a much warmer
climate. Life will of course go on for millions of years because the
earth will not be consumed by an expanding sun for another 1/2 billion
years.

There is always the chance that earth will be wiped out by a collision
with a giant space rock long before it is consumed by an expanding sun.

Well indeed.
OK, so a rock wipes out most life in only 5 million years time, like
the one 65mill ago.
So another 50million years drifts by, and some life form evolves
again.....and all this maybe several times before Earth is finally
fried.

The future and the unknown worries so many people that some of them
invented BS about the Rapture, and Judgement Day, and God and so on.

But be good while your'e alive. Hell might just exist.

Patrick Turner.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, *http://fmamradios.com/

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 10, 7:39*pm, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

I cannot know all the truth.

All the truth is an infinite amount of information and I have only a
finite brain which cannot understand infinite knowledge.

But Lovelock seems to be fairly right to me.

If in 50 years time there are 12 billion people all needing 2kWH to
have a life, and most of that is via fossil burning, then mankind's
gross activity is like a huge volcano that just won't give up spewing
****e into the air.

They'll be dire consequences.

[...]

In well educated societies, people don't need to breed much to not
starve in old age. Only a small % of ppl are required for food
production, and even if you lost your sons and daughters the system
would feed you.
We don't breed because we need to any more; we breed because we like
to see our genes flourish; its supposedly a challenge that's
irrestistable, groovy in fact, and cool, awesome, etc, when your'e
young of course. But at present the slice of the world each person
gets is becoming smaller and smaller.

The calculus of
****ing continues to confound even the most advanced
societies. Pensions in capitalist states have weakened its
fundamental dynamic but kids are still socially necessary,
so the state jiggles the costs. The delay in this feedback
loop, together with the hysteresis arising from religion and
other forces of tradition, lead to overshoots and
oscillations.

Indeed.

[...]

Well we ought to thank the CPC for their stern limitations on
breeding.

That left more world for everyone else "on our side" to exploit.

But someone said "To become rich is glorious", and now China is hell
bent on materialism and 2kWH per person of energy use.

[...]

But we are getting mid summer day temps now although its springtime.
11 degrees C above average.

**At the root of all this is a basic question of philosophy,
about the relationship between quality and quantity of life.
Given the choice, what kind of things should we consider
when trading one for the other? We could decide to have no
children, stuff ourselves stupid with all the earth's
resources, and use our valve amps to the end. Or we could be
miserly and miserable ****ers for eons.

Or we could get busy with changing from fossils to nuclear and all
forms of "green" alternatives like solar and wind power.

Then we could be a stuffin, and a muckin and a fukkin, and have our
tube amps.

But so many hate the change required. They cry out like they always
have,
"We'll be rooned".....

Change always costs money.

I might have to pay $5,000 per year for electricity instead of the
present $1,600.

That is a big increase in costs for me when I am on low wages.

But average weekly earnings in Oz right now is $50,000 per year and so
the change is quite affordable for those on average wages; they just
give up some small luxury.

But some folks would like to machine gun anyone who raises costs and
foists a change on them.

Some of these horrid folks will have kids who resent they were born
and they'll carry on the arsole traditions.

Patrick Turner.

fs

**Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 10, 11:22*pm, Peter Wieck wrote:
On Nov 10, 3:39*am, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

[...]

Indeed history teaches us a lot.

Most folks don't want to see our species having to be put down because
its unviable or in serious pain.
But death has to faced by all of us.
The polititions can only offer a side show really, temporary amusement
and higher electricity bills. So many people will just do business as
usual because the cost of change is worse that status quo. Polititians
cannot overcome the FU2 philosophy which so many believe in.

I think genetic engineering could allow a huge increase in speed of
evolution which would enable us to counter the anthropocentric effect
we are having on climate. Rich people will be able to afford it. One
could have a world with only 10% of present bio-diversity.
It seems to me we are changing the world much faster than any species
can evolve to addapt to the changes.
Intelligence has led us here and it seems stupid.

I can't stop any of it.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Default There's more science in Scientology than in Global Warming, so let'sstick to GZ34 worship!

There's more science in Scientology than in Global Warming.

Tha adoration of the GZ34 is a better use of our time than wittering
on about global warming, something that didn't happen, isn't
happening, and very likely will not happen, and if it did happen would
be entirely beneficial in feeding the world's hungry.

Some people really need a lot of help to put their minds in gear.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information for the tube audio
constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site containing vital gems of
wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 11, 11:51*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

Some people really need a lot of help to *put their minds in gear.

Yes, Andre, they do. And you most definitely are the first and best
example of that need as it applies to this group anyway. What passes
for your mind is well-and-truly made up. No need to confuse you with
any facts.

However, you also very much make my point - which is as you so aptly
demonstrate - that humans have reached an evolutionary dead-end. And
every species that has reached that point has the responsibility to
eliminate itself from the planet as quickly and efficiently as
possible. There is no such thing as "harm" in that process as its
replacement will simply evolve to meet the prevailing conditions.
Expedience and speed are the requirements. You are contributing to
that very nicely, thank you!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 10, 7:39*pm, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

I recall the dinosaurs went for many millions of years before fouling
their own nest.
Then after the asteroid 65 million yrs ago the dinos mostly
diminished, and nothing much upset the atmosphere until man evolved
and began to need 2kWH 24/7 to have a good life.

Anyway, the amps I have just made consume about 500W when
used. But
the switch many ppl are making towards "digital" amplifiers,
class D,
which are 96% efficient is offsetting the effect steam
engines that I
am still making in tiny numbers. I didn't have any children
which is
the worst thing anyone could do to a planet.

**LOL, which is rare here, for me. Ask not what our children
can do for our planet, but what our planet can do for our
children. Having none, perhaps you have missed the point?

I sure missed having kids. But the C word amoung the shielas I met is
"Committment", and none knew the meaning of the word.

There is a possibility that today's children will grow to understand
global warming better than their parents. Perhaps they might be
prepared to do more about stopping CO2 emissions. But the probability
of the possibility of the next generations doing much about CO2 is
rather gloomy IMHO. You'll never be able to talk your missus into
having a cold shower to prevent CO2 emissions, right?

For each green minded person there might be 2 who don't care what
happens and 3 who go by the FU2 idea and care only to own a 10 room
house, and make lotsa money to pay for a grossly polluting lifestyle
while cheering the boys with chain saws ripping down forests and
causing mahem and mass extinctions. They will believe we are entitled
to business as usual and God is on their side.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 12, 3:51*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
There's more science in Scientology than in Global Warming.

Tha adoration of the GZ34 is a better use of our time than wittering
on about global warming, something that didn't happen, isn't
happening, and very likely will not happen, and if it did happen would
be entirely beneficial in feeding the world's hungry.

Some people really need a lot of help to *put their minds in gear.

I admit that there is a possibility of a range of probabilities coming
true about greenhouse warming.

I recall the doomsayers of the 1960s saying that by now there would be
mass starvations caused by limited food supplies. But the green
revolution occurred and rice yields doubled per hectare. As the world
continues getting richer and wealthier and as more energy is used by
mechanised farming, more food should get produced and more ppl will
eat meat. GM crops will boost food values. But perhaps there is a
limit to such progress. There is talk of having 50million ppl in Oz
within 50 years. Maybe we then could not export any food. We may have
to rely on desalination for water.
I would prefer to see alternatives to fossil fuel burning. Nuclear
looks well to me. If we had Thorium based fission reactors or we
eventually got fusion reactors to work then farewell and good riddance
to the coal industry IMHO.

But vested interests in the current status quo are screaming like
stuck pigs when ppl say let's do away with the coal industry and the
oil industry. Carbon trading looks set to be a huge swindle. CO2
sequestration looks unlikely to be successful.

Adelaide has just had 5 spring days with over 35C which has set a
record since records began in about 1880.

And we don't eve have an Elnino drought condition. Its been a very
nice spring here with nice rainfall which I have not seen for about 9
years at least.

There is a line across the map of Sth Oz called the Goyder Line which
denotes where farming north of the line is unviable, and south is OK.
I expect to see the line move south.

I am discussing the use of SMPS for tube amps with a friend again.
Maybe the discussions bear fruit. Almost anything is better than a
GZ34. So while some might adore GZ34, others like myself would think
they kneel at a fool's altar.

If I could cram a SMPS into a steel box about 220mm W x 140mm H x
120mm L, then that would replace the heavy costly PT I currently use
and I would have something more desirable to own and use. Halcro amps
which arguably are the best solid state class AB amps available have
SMPS and they are not noisy. If every tube amp dumped the GZ34
technology out of their design it would make tube amps easier to own
and not degrade the sound.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Nov 13, 12:21*am, Patrick Turner wrote:

For each green minded person there might be 2 who don't care what
happens and 3 who go by the FU2 idea and care only to own a 10 room
house, and make lotsa money to pay for a grossly polluting lifestyle
while cheering the boys with chain saws ripping down forests and
causing mahem and mass extinctions. They will believe we are entitled
to business as usual and God is on their side.

Oh, I dunno. I expect that God is pretty much indifferent to this
planet and its contents - it is all part of the bigger plan, after
all.

As to 'greeness' that is a moving target. Start with "things" - the
range from houses to cloths:
a) The greenest 'thing' is one that already exists.
b) Any new "thing" requires resources to make it, care to keep it, and
somewhere to put it when it is 'done'. This is called 'life-cycle
cost'.
c) Recycling has a cost - in many cases the cost is lower than the
alternative. In very nearly equally many the cost is equivalent to the
alternative. In very few, the alternative is both the wisest and most
green decision. Metals are category 1. Plastics wood, vegetable matter
and paper materials are category 2. Some are amenable to recycling as
similar products, some may become biofuels by distillation, some may
be burnt directly as fuel. Some chemicals (which likely should never
had been made in the first place) are category 3.
d) No 'thing' may be viewed at a single moment. It must be viewed
across its entire life-cycle. So, windmills are very good 'things' as
they last a long time, don't cost very much and don't need much care
and use simple technology. Yes, there is cost in mining and refining
the materials going into them - but per category 1 above much may be
from existing sources, and when 'done' may be readily recycled. Solar
(photovoltaic) panels are very bad 'things' as they are costly to
install, costly to make and refine the materials, cannot be recycled
and have a limited life. Even with subsidies their so-called 'payback'
period is anything from 10 - 15 years. Without subsidies, they never
pay back due to those nasty life-cycle costs.
e) Similarly early-version hybrid vehicles. Making and disposing of
those batteries is a nasty process. It is getting better - but that is
a lagging technology. Better than gasoline - but not yet perfect.

So, as we look towards acquiring 'things' for the good life - we need
to make some choices. Do we buy our living 'thing' in a new
development (very likely on farmland) made with new materials (however
efficient)? Or do we buy an existing 'thing' that has never been on
farmland but may not be as efficient as that new 'thing'? The existing
'thing' is far greener than any new 'thing' in this case by any
measure. Even if bigger/smaller/whatever than the alternative new
'thing'. Follow that logic through all the rest of the 'things' we use
in our daily lives.

Do we restrict our life-style based on not wanting to use 'things'
that we feel are not so green, or do we do what we wish but with care
and acknowlegement of the footprints we leave? The former may (but not
necessarily will) lead to bitterness, resentment, provincialism, self-
righteousness and ignorance. The latter may be less 'green', but might
(not necessarily will) make us happier (and therefore better) people.

All our choices on 'things' have implications. And all that is
required is that when we make such choices we understand them.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 13, 5:49*am, Patrick Turner wrote:
On Nov 12, 3:51*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

There's more science in Scientology than in Global Warming.

Tha adoration of the GZ34 is a better use of our time than wittering
on about global warming, something that didn't happen, isn't
happening, and very likely will not happen, and if it did happen would
be entirely beneficial in feeding the world's hungry.

Some people really need a lot of help to *put their minds in gear.

I admit that there is a possibility of a range of probabilities coming
true about greenhouse warming.

The main one being that it is a lie and always was a lie/

For many centuries during the Medieval Warm Period, the earth was much
warmer than it is now.

For two and a half centuries during the Little Ice Age the earth was
much colder than it is now. The earth hasn't recovered from the Litle
Ice Age yet.

The Global Warmies tried to lie these historical facts out of
existence with statistical tricks, now exposed; this is the notorious
Hockey Stick Scam which by statistical incompetence and trickey
flattened the peak of the MWP and the trough of the LIA in an attempt
to make the 1990s look very warm.

The models built with those lies failed retrospectively to fit the
temperature data. How can anyone expect such incompetent models to
predict anything.

The models built with those lies failed to predict the cooling period
in the very next decade. How can anyone believe that such incompetent
models can predict a hundred or three hundred years ahead?

Note that I'm not just jumping on a bandwagon and kicking a dog that's
already down, as you are, Patrick; I've sent these climate alarmists,
including the global warmies, up rotten since I was a precocious
teenager with a column in the Sunday Times and they were screeching
first about the hole in the ozone layer (where is it?) and then about
the imminent ice age (missed that one too!), and then changed course
and tried to pretend Hell burns on earth.

I recall the doomsayers of the 1960s saying that by now there would be
mass starvations caused by limited food supplies. But the green
revolution occurred and rice yields doubled per hectare. As the world
continues getting richer and wealthier and as more energy is used by
mechanised farming, more food should get produced and more ppl will
eat meat. GM crops will boost food values. But perhaps there is a
limit to such progress. There is talk of having 50million ppl in Oz
within 50 years. Maybe we then could not export any food. We may have
to rely on desalination for water.

"Perhaps". Perhaps isn't science. "There is talk of..." Among idiots
who want to sound clever there is always talk. That isn't science
either. 50m people in Oz wouldn't affect food exports one once, man.
You live in Canberra, you can go ask the figures and read them for
yourself, instead of wasting your time on the net looking like the
victim of every passing apocalyptic fad.

I would prefer to see alternatives to fossil fuel burning. Nuclear
looks well to me. If we had Thorium based fission reactors or we
eventually got fusion reactors to work then farewell and good riddance
to the coal industry IMHO.

Hallelujah!

But vested interests in the current status quo are screaming like
stuck pigs when ppl say let's do away with the coal industry and the
oil industry.

They will be the first to invest in nuclear energy.

Carbon trading looks set to be a huge swindle.

Of course it is. Fat Al Gore, pinup boy of the environmentalists,
designed it as a bigger bonanza for the ruling classes than
Prohibition. Fat Boy is the Joe Kennedy of our generation, a
"respectable" criminal.

CO2
sequestration looks unlikely to be successful.

And you couldn't forecast that? Besides, it was unnecessary and
probably counterproductive.

Adelaide has just had 5 spring days with over 35C which has set a
record since records began in about 1880.

After all these years mostly in the green and beloved isle, I hate it
in Adelaide, my other home, when it gets that hot. I like the winter
in Adelaide; feels warm to me, and more even-tempered than the South
of France.

And we don't eve have an Elnino drought condition. Its been a very
nice spring here with nice rainfall which I have not seen for about 9
years at least.

There is a line across the map of Sth Oz called the Goyder Line which
denotes where farming north of the line is unviable, and south is OK.
I expect to see the line move south.

Here we go again. Everything gets better and better, year by year.
Despite a hugely larger population, there are 300m fewer hungry people
in the world, but the usual clowns are rubbing ashes on their heads
and, global warming being dead, finding something else to whine about.

I am discussing the use of SMPS for tube amps with a friend again.
Maybe the discussions bear fruit. Almost anything is better than a
GZ34. So while some might adore GZ34, others like myself would think
they kneel at a fool's altar.

Switch mode power supplies for hi-fi... Excuse me while I vomit.
Pinkostinko will crawl out the grave to kiss you on the lips, my man.
The GZ34 is the rectifier of reference for people with culture. The
only thing that comes close is the Svetlana (blessed be her memory)
6D22S and you need to set up two of those, which is rough on real
estate on your amp and on the pocket for the exta filament supply.
GZ32 is also super but now far too pricey.

If I could cram a SMPS into a steel box about 220mm W x 140mm H x
120mm L, then that would replace the heavy costly PT I currently use
and I would have something more desirable to own and use. Halcro amps
which arguably are the best solid state class AB amps available have
SMPS and they are not noisy. *If every tube amp dumped the GZ34
technology out of their design it would make tube amps easier to own
and not degrade the sound.

You're nuts. This is the old, old story of excessive negative feedback
chopping up the sound all over again, but this time starting in the
power supply, which -- as I keep saying -- is part of the sonic
transfer function. A whole amp full of fractional artifacts of
fractional artifacts piggybacking on each other, necessitating more
NFB, which creates more fractionak residuals which piggyback yet more
fractional residuals until the sound is entirely articial.

A punctiliously built poor idea is always a poor idea, like NFB was
all along; that it has triumphed in the market place does not improve
a bad idea.

You done good by hi-fi electronics, Patrick. If you're bored with what
you've achieved, give hi-fi a rest, find something else to do to
recharge the batteries.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information for the tube audio
constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site containing vital gems of
wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.bicycles.tech
landotter landotter is offline

On Nov 13, 3:54*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

Of course it is. Fat Al Gore, pinup boy of the environmentalists,
designed it as a bigger bonanza for the ruling classes than
Prohibition. Fat Boy is the Joe Kennedy of our generation, a
"respectable" criminal.

Evidence for this claim?

Or is it so important for lunatics like yourself to emotionally
coalesce around lies that you'll just fix the facts afterward?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 13, 10:08*pm, landotter wrote:
On Nov 13, 3:54*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

Of course it is. Fat Al Gore, pinup boy of the environmentalists,
designed carbon credits as a bigger bonanza for the ruling classes than
Prohibition. Fat Boy is the Joe Kennedy of our generation, a
"respectable" criminal.

Evidence for this claim?

Or is it so important for lunatics like yourself to emotionally
coalesce around lies that you'll just fix the facts afterward?

You get all insulting because I say Fat Al Gore is FAT? Sheet, Maxine,
you must be blind as well as impressionable:

Let's give you an eyetest. In this piccy, which FATTY is Greedyguts Al
Gore?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eat-th...e%20queen..JPG

And once more, is the FAT guy on the left "Steal Big" Al Gore or is he
Fat Hanging Chad?
http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/image...0DE%20NIRO.JPG

Everybody's been laughing at Fat Al and his Church of Global Warming
Impressionables:

"Remember Al Gore? He was Vice President for a little while. Now, he
is teaching school at Columbia, teaching a journalism class. Since the
election the guy has put on 40 pounds. It's gotten so bad that every
time he turns around, his ass erases the blackboard. ... He got on the
scales today and demanded a recount." --David Letterman

"Gore's so fat, Clinton is thinking of hitting on him." --from David
Letterman's "Top Ten Responses To The Question, 'How Fat Is Al
Gore?'"

"And you can tell Gore's serious when he talks about the world ending
because he eats everything in sight." --Jimmy Kimmel

"If any of you at home are wondering about the former vice president's
seeming largeness ... Here's an inconvenient truth: cake isn't a food
group" --Jon Stewart

Enjoy, Maxine, enjoy!

Andre Jute
Charisma is the art of infuriating the undeserving by merely existing
elegantly

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:15:14 -0600, flipper wrote:

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:49:49 -0800 (PST), Patrick Turner
wrote:

On Nov 12, 3:51*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
There's more science in Scientology than in Global Warming.

Tha adoration of the GZ34 is a better use of our time than wittering
on about global warming, something that didn't happen, isn't
happening, and very likely will not happen, and if it did happen would
be entirely beneficial in feeding the world's hungry.

Some people really need a lot of help to *put their minds in gear.

I admit that there is a possibility of a range of probabilities coming
true about greenhouse warming.

There is, currently, not even a working hypothesis for man induced CO2
'global warming', much less a theory, and speculation is not science.

You really should keep up with the news. Since 1998 it is global
cooling. So all the so-called models are being massaged.

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Flipper says, "Calling CO2 driven AGW 'science' is
a farce."

Andre Jute:
The main one being that global warming is a lie and always was a lie/

!Jones:
Apparently, the world's scientists disagree with the world's
bicyclists... and visa versa.

Jute:
Here are a couple of engineers making a longer-view contribution to
the posts by me and Patrick Turner that set this off:

*****
FROM flipper :

Jute:
There's more science in Scientology than in Global Warming.

Tha adoration of the GZ34 is a better use of our time than wittering
on about global warming, something that didn't happen, isn't
happening, and very likely will not happen, and if it did happen would
be entirely beneficial in feeding the world's hungry.

Patrick Turner:
I admit that there is a possibility of a range of probabilities coming
true about greenhouse warming.

Flipper:
There is, currently, not even a working hypothesis for man induced CO2
'global warming', much less a theory, and speculation is not science.

Don Pearce:
You really should keep up with the news. Since 1998 it is global
cooling. So all the so-called models are being massaged.

Flipper:
I have kept up with the news and whether the models are changed or not
doesn't alter the fact there is no working hypothesis for man made CO2
induced "climate change" if that makes you feel better.

Btw, the 'official' line is there has NOT been a 'cooling' because the
1998 hi is anomalous or a 'false' hi. Which didn't stop them from
using it as 'evidence' of global warming back then but, nonetheless,
it's anomalous.

It all depends on how you construct the trend lines but if cherry
picked well enough, and 'anomalies corrected', they manage to claim a
'slight' (worst case flat) warming not as much as the previous but
'probably' (wave arms) just a 'pause' till it resumes even worse than
before despite there being not one shred of evidence to support the
speculation.

However, even if it did 'resume' we're no where near planetary 'highs'
for either temperature OR C02 and the only reason AGW pinheads imagine
so is because they actually think 150 years of measurements, 35 or so
if you only count satellites, coming out of a mini ice age means
something in a freaking 120,000 year glacial cycle. But despite our
best efforts at pumping CO2 into the air this interglacial is no where
near the last temperature peak 120,000 years ago, or the previous
interglacial cycle peak 240,000 years ago, or the interglacial peak
before that one as well as the one before that. All of which occurred
without the help, thank you, of Exxon, Mobile, Shell, BP and SUVs.

Hell, we're not even at the peak of THIS puny interglacial. That
occurred some 8000 years ago, give or take a few centuries.

And ALL of that is below the geological average as we're still in the
current 55 million year long (so far) glacial period with the last
honest to goodness 'warm' period being circa 75 million years ago; and
the preceding glacial period wasn't near as cold as this one. You've
got to go 3 glacial periods back some 450 million years to find
weather this chilly.

Oh, btw, CO2 levels were at a massive 4,500 ppm during that 450
million year ago COLD glacial period and 2,000 ppm during the 'not as
cold' glacial period 150 million years ago. Colder glacial period with
MORE, twice as much, CO2? And if CO2 drove temperature the entire
planet should have been a burned cinder instead of in deep glacial
periods.

Calling CO2 driven AGW 'science' is a farce.

****

Jute:
Yup. Looks like Flipper agrees with me, there's more science in
Scientology than in global warming.

For the innocant, Scientology is a religion (i.e. a tax dodge) of
green bug-eyed monsters though up by L Ron Hubbard, a sci-fi writer.

Andre Jute
"Loonies like Asher will continue to shout 'Global Warming' until
they suddenly start shouting 'Global Cooling' as if they'd done that
from the beginning." -- Tom Kunich
"Oh, I've seen the loonies do that for half a century. Asher's problem
is that he has such a poor grasp of history, he thinks the New
Apocalypse of Global Warming is brand spanking new and exciting." --
Andre Jute
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Nov 14, 1:26*pm, Andre Jute wrote:

Pretty much a bunch of self-serving crap.

Andre, it is nice to see that you are doing your duty to the universe
and also serving as such an excellent example of why it needs be done.

To repeat: The human race, as you so fully prove has reached an
evolutionary dead end. Lingering further simply impedes its
replacement from gaining its rightful place. So, our duty is to wipe
ourselves out as completely and quickly as is conceivably possible.
Failing that, to do nothing to impede the process. As to damaging the
planet in that process - again, repeating: all we are doing is messing
about around the edges and shifting a few oxides around here and
there. As the earth measures things our pernanent effect is nil and
our present value negative. But that we are rendering it useless for
ourselves is only a good thing. That we are fouling both our own nest
and that of many other planetary shareholders is also of no import,
again in a couple of million years all will be forgotten.

Keep on as you are - a ranting, brain-damaged little pipsqueak howling
from an Irish backwater. You are serving the highest and best use you
are able, after all.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Nov 14, 7:36*pm, !Jones wrote:
Well, Jute... when you fling the terms "liar" and "lies" about, I read
it as you're trying to evoke my emotion as opposed to informing or
persuading me.

Nah, Jonesy, I'm too old and too wily to try and persuade sheep of
anything. I just lay out the facts for those who want them and
eventually there's a tax revolt and the powers that be call me a
revolutionary (a travesty, if you ask me; my dinner jacket fits better
than theirs) and send assassins after me.

I have laid out the evidence that Michael Mann, the lead writer of a
key IPCC report, lied. On this conference. Google up "Hockey Stick"
and you will find the evidence given by leading members of the US
National Academy of Science before the US Senate. I'm surprised you
speak out before gathering facts, Jonesy; it's a very unprofessional
thing for a university professor to do.

The world's scientists are (sort of) coming to a consensus that
contradicts your position. *

Science is not about consensus, it's about proof. Global warming, as
Flipper says, doesn't even have a hypothesis, never mind proof. All it
has is scare stories and computer models that don't forecast ****.

There are certainly a few voices of
dissention. *

You mean "dissent". Or "a few dissenting voices".

My point is that an intelligent reader would not be
convinced by your use of loaded language (i.e.: "liars") that the
scientific community has it all wrong.

Who says the "scientific community" has it all wrong? You? Certainly
not me! In fact, my proofs that the bureaucrats at the IPCC and some
climatologists have lied, are lying, and intend to go on lying,
depends primarily on a cross-displinary analysis of contrary data.
Look up the thread in which Ben Wiener, on this conference, tried to
lie to me that the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age are
only "eurocentric", at which point I published 37 peer-reviewed
references from a double handful of sciences that gave that bull****
the lie and proved, and still proves, that the MWP and the LIA circled
the globa.

I'm not a climatologist, so I don't know.

This isn't about climatology. This is about lies so-called scientists
make proxy statistics perform at the behest of IPCC bureaucrats.

I'm a statistician (economists and psychologists are just
statisticians with a spot more class and imagination than mere
technicians) who was once paid a seven-figure sum (before bonuses of
several times that) every year for being a very, very smart boy with
numbers. What I can make numbers do, I can also spot crooks who call
themselves scientists doing. So can other first-class statisticians,
among them McIntyre & McKittrick, who for exposing the Hockey Stick as
a sham should have had the Nobel Prize given to that clown Al Gore.

*I do know that a vast
majority of the climatologists disagree with you...

Ah, here we go: consensus! Actually, there isn't consensus, merely a
meretricious claim by bureaucrats at the IPCC that there is consensus.
And consensus isn't science, Jonesy, it is bought by money and power.
Read a little scientific history. Lysenko is a good place to start. He
killed tens of millions of people by starvation.

In a couple of decades, I'm going to label you a genocide for
supporting this global warming scare, same as I labelled Rachel Carson
and all her followers, including some by name on RBT, genocides for
the pointless banning of DDT, which too was done on the basis of
hysteria without an iota of scientific proof. (Look up DDT on this
conference if you want to see how I made that point stick.)

and you're
shrieking about it! *That's not likely to convince anyone.

I'm not trying to convince anyone. I'm just having fun tweaking the
noses of the global warming faithful, same way I tweak the noses of
the anti-evolutionist fundies.

When I want to convince you, you won't even know you've been
convinced. You're talking to a premium-grade hidden persauder. Those
statistics I mentioned above as so valuable, I did them in
advertising.

Let's say that I were persuaded; what, exactly, do you want me to
*do*? *

Gee, and they let you teach unformed minds! Yo, Jonesy, there's sure
to be a Politics 101 somewhere in your college. Go sit in. When you've
got the point, then write to your Congressman as follows:

"I am not convinced that global warming is a real and present danger.
The cost of Kyoto alone is in the trillions already. For that much we
can raise the poor of the world out of their misery by giving them
food, clean water, basic health care and primary education. If instead
we spend the money on a hubristic attempt to control a natural force,
in a very short time sharp intellectuals will call us genocidal fools.
If you vote for such a waste of money, I shall no longer be able to
vote for you. Yours sincerely, Jonesy."

Is reducing our use of fossil fuels a *bad* thing? *

Not at all. But common economy or even prudence doesn't make it an
imperative. What is bad, what is indeed racist, is for us to insist
that brown and black peoples trying to industrialize must stay poor
forever so that they do not produce carbon. This is very hard for
Americans to understand but is the official position of the Chinese
and the Indians and others. Did you know that your government is
racist, Jonesy?

Should I
drive more? *

Of course you should: you might learn to drive better and be less of a
danger to cyclists. (BTW, I haven't owned a car since 1992. I'm a very
great deal greener than you will ever be.)

Will that help the situation? *

Of course not. Your question merely illustrates your ignorance. Carbon
is a natural gas, a very small fraction of the greenhouse gases that
so upset the doom-mongers. Without carbon, plants will die, then
humans and other oxygen-breathers will die. The human-created CO2 is
the tiniest fraction of a subfraction. Even if we controlled it, and
we can't, it would make no difference whatsoever. As Flipper pointed
out, as I have pointed out on this conference many times, there is no
scientific proof that CO2 is linked to global temperature. In fact, in
the ice core record, rising temperature precedes CO2 increase. You
might equally, with more visible proof, say that temperature rise
causes CO2 increases.

If you were actually to look into the correlation of global
temperature rise, you would discover it is statistically closely
linked to sunspot activity. But sunspot activity doesn't have any
guilt button to press, and automobiles and consumption already carry
that burden of aeons of Christian guilt inculcation for the would-be
controllers of our lives, the environmentalists, to work on.

Why are you trying so hard
to convince me? *

I've told you, I'm just pushing the buttons of the global warming
fundies. It just seems hard to you because you haven't grasped yet
that I don't take prisoners.

If you're right, then what difference does it make
whether or not I choose to reduce my carbon footprint?

None. However, if I'm wrong, and global warming is caused by your CO2
emissions, you should produce a bigger carbon footprint so that the
temperature can rise two degrees, which would increase agricultural
output and thus feed the world's hungry. That too is in an IPCC
report. (It appears that I'm the only one who has actually read the
literature. The rest of these clowns, and you apparently, take their
"facts" from television.)

*Is carbon
dioxide accumulation a good thing?

The Earth is very good at carbon accumulation. What do you think oil
and coal is, what do you think fuels the trees and plants that provide
our oxygen?

Jones

P.S. *Please do not cross post into other newsgroups; that reflects
poor Usenet manners, IMO.

Something else you should learn, Jonesy. Your opinion doesn't matter
to me. I'll do what I'm going to do regardless of whether you think it
is good netiquette, and sooner or later my version will become the
rule. So save your breath; I'm not in the least interested in
conforming to your lowest common denominator view of how one should
behave.

In any event, this part of this thread, which I merely gave the name
of an RBT thread, *originated on RAT*, and I crossposted it to RBT
because many cyclists are interested in global warming and might have
informative input.

*I trimmed the headers for a reason...

Whatever quivers your wick, pal.

don't know squat about audio tubes and don't want to pester those nice
people with our off-topic discussion.

Eh? Wakey, wakey, Jonesy; this discussion originated on
rec.audio.tubes. And now you arrogantly want to assume the right to
deprive them of it? Bit dictatorial, aren't you, Jonesy? Sounds like
you've taught college too long, sport.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information for the tube audio
constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site containing vital gems of
wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Supreme Court Worship Comes First With Respectable Conservatives Bret L Audio Opinions 0 August 31st 09 07:23 AM
Keith's hatred of effective worship experiences. George M. Middius[_4_] Audio Opinions 2 January 18th 09 02:53 AM
Sluttie's worship of the Krooborg Bruce J. Richman Audio Opinions 1 October 7th 04 11:38 PM
FA: NOS GZ34 iga Vacuum Tubes 0 April 19th 04 04:16 PM
weekly recording of worship service (speaking / music) Ben Bradley Pro Audio 0 July 3rd 03 03:53 AM