Default Think Twice Before Selling

Hi All,

A friend of mine who collects radios had almost sold an NOS quad of 2A3
tubes (RCA monoplates) to an audiophile, the sort of people whom he
does not like to serve. The audiophile is also a licensed ham radio
operator, and it's often assumed that hams who purchase tubes are going
to install them in collectible radios. Well, this individual has
absolutely no interest in tube radios's and his only piece of ham gear
is a Motorola Radius 50 commercial walkie-talkie that was modified for
the 70 cm band (440 MHz). There was no transaction once my friend
found out that the 2A3's would be used in high-end audio equipment.
That was close one. A licensed ham operator purchasing tubes is not
necessarily a collector. NEVER make assumptions.

C.W.

cowboy

WHOA!

what is wrong with high-end audio???

I am a licensed ham (since 1975) AND a designer and owner of many high-end
tube audio amplifiers

this sounds like some kind of bigotry to me!

your posting is VERY disturbing!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

A friend of mine who collects radios had almost sold an NOS quad of 2A3
tubes (RCA monoplates) to an audiophile, the sort of people whom he
does not like to serve. The audiophile is also a licensed ham radio
operator, and it's often assumed that hams who purchase tubes are going
to install them in collectible radios. Well, this individual has
absolutely no interest in tube radios's and his only piece of ham gear
is a Motorola Radius 50 commercial walkie-talkie that was modified for
the 70 cm band (440 MHz). There was no transaction once my friend
found out that the 2A3's would be used in high-end audio equipment.
That was close one. A licensed ham operator purchasing tubes is not
necessarily a collector. NEVER make assumptions.

C.W.

sparky

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

A friend of mine who collects radios had almost sold an NOS quad of 2A3
tubes (RCA monoplates) to an audiophile, the sort of people whom he
does not like to serve. The audiophile is also a licensed ham radio
operator, and it's often assumed that hams who purchase tubes are going
to install them in collectible radios. Well, this individual has
absolutely no interest in tube radios's and his only piece of ham gear
is a Motorola Radius 50 commercial walkie-talkie that was modified for
the 70 cm band (440 MHz). There was no transaction once my friend
found out that the 2A3's would be used in high-end audio equipment.
That was close one. A licensed ham operator purchasing tubes is not
necessarily a collector. NEVER make assumptions.

Your friend is a class a jerk!

C.W.

Mike Schultz

A friend of mine who collects radios had almost sold an NOS quad of 2A3
tubes (RCA monoplates) to an black man, the sort of people whom he
does not like to serve. The black man is also a licensed ham radio
operator, and it's often assumed that hams who purchase tubes are going
to install them in collectible radios.

snip

NEVER make assumptions.

--
Mike Schultz

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

A friend of mine who collects radios had almost sold an NOS quad of 2A3
tubes (RCA monoplates) to an audiophile, the sort of people whom he
does not like to serve. The audiophile is also a licensed ham radio
operator, and it's often assumed that hams who purchase tubes are going
to install them in collectible radios. Well, this individual has
absolutely no interest in tube radios's and his only piece of ham gear
is a Motorola Radius 50 commercial walkie-talkie that was modified for
the 70 cm band (440 MHz). There was no transaction once my friend
found out that the 2A3's would be used in high-end audio equipment.
That was close one. A licensed ham operator purchasing tubes is not
necessarily a collector. NEVER make assumptions.

C.W.

Chris Hornbeck

GooGoo has become the new choice of cross-posting
trolls. Wonderful.

Chris Hornbeck

Well, I'm glad I'm not the one selling the tubes. I have nothing
against people experimenting with used tubes, but rare NOS tubes should
be saved.

sparky wrote:

Your friend is a class a jerk!

William Sommerwerck

I can understand him not selling them at an excessively high price to an
audiophile, simply because he wanted to keep down the market price. But not to
sell them simply _because_ the buyer is an audiophile makes no sense at all.

robert casey

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

GooGoo has become the new choice of cross-posting
trolls.

Guess I'll have to get out the Goo Gone..... :-)
xrongor

i had a friend who sold their house once. they had two bids, one was 10k
higher than the other. they sold it to the lower bidder because they
'liked' them better. apparantly enough to give away ten thousand dollars.

randy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

A friend of mine who collects radios had almost sold an NOS quad of 2A3
tubes (RCA monoplates) to an audiophile, the sort of people whom he
does not like to serve. The audiophile is also a licensed ham radio
operator, and it's often assumed that hams who purchase tubes are going
to install them in collectible radios. Well, this individual has
absolutely no interest in tube radios's and his only piece of ham gear
is a Motorola Radius 50 commercial walkie-talkie that was modified for
the 70 cm band (440 MHz). There was no transaction once my friend
found out that the 2A3's would be used in high-end audio equipment.
That was close one. A licensed ham operator purchasing tubes is not
necessarily a collector. NEVER make assumptions.

C.W.

Phil Allison

"xrongor"

i had a friend who sold their house once. they had two bids, one was 10k
higher than the other. they sold it to the lower bidder because they
'liked' them better. apparantly enough to give away ten thousand dollars.

** Maybe it was worth it to stay friends with their old neighbours.

............ Phil

Lord Valve

xrongor wrote:

i had a friend who sold their house once. they had two bids, one was 10k
higher than the other. they sold it to the lower bidder because they
'liked' them better. apparantly enough to give away ten thousand dollars.

P.T. Barnum was right...

LV

Cmd Buzz Corey

Lord Valve wrote:

xrongor wrote:

i had a friend who sold their house once. they had two bids, one was 10k
higher than the other. they sold it to the lower bidder because they
'liked' them better. apparantly enough to give away ten thousand dollars.

P.T. Barnum was right...

LV

Good for old P.T., but we are in the process of selling some land that
is part of the farm where my wife grew up. We are selling it to a young
farmer and his wife at a lower price than we could get if we were
willing to sell it to someone who would buy it for an investment, or to
be broken up into lots for crappy trailer houses. Why? Because the land
is contigious to the land the farmer already owns, he plans to use it in
his farming business as it was meant to be and because he and his wife
are darn nice people. Only one of P.T.'s fools would think money is
everything.

Lord Valve

Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:

Lord Valve wrote:

xrongor wrote:

[...]

"A fool and his money..."

LV

Bruce Mercer

"cowboy" cacheoverflow@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
WHOA!

what is wrong with high-end audio???

I am a licensed ham (since 1975) AND a designer and owner of many high-end
tube audio amplifiers

this sounds like some kind of bigotry to me!

your posting is VERY disturbing!

Not to mention his choice of 'friends'.

*WARNING* Remember to close your drapes before firing up your mono-blocks.

;-)))

John Byrns

In article , Cmd Buzz Corey
wrote:

Good for old P.T., but we are in the process of selling some land that
is part of the farm where my wife grew up. We are selling it to a young
farmer and his wife at a lower price than we could get if we were
willing to sell it to someone who would buy it for an investment, or to
be broken up into lots for crappy trailer houses. Why? Because the land
is contigious to the land the farmer already owns, he plans to use it in
his farming business as it was meant to be

How do you know it was meant to be used for farming? There is a good
chance thath the land was originally meant to be used as a forest, and
some old farmers destroyed the original forest so that they could grow
crops there.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
Cmd Buzz Corey

John Byrns wrote:
In article , Cmd Buzz Corey
wrote:

Good for old P.T., but we are in the process of selling some land that
is part of the farm where my wife grew up. We are selling it to a young
farmer and his wife at a lower price than we could get if we were
willing to sell it to someone who would buy it for an investment, or to
be broken up into lots for crappy trailer houses. Why? Because the land
is contigious to the land the farmer already owns, he plans to use it in
his farming business as it was meant to be

How do you know it was meant to be used for farming? There is a good
chance thath the land was originally meant to be used as a forest, and
some old farmers destroyed the original forest so that they could grow
crops there.

Regards,

John Byrns

You won't find any forests near Abilene, TX unless you count mesquite
trees as forests, and they aren't good for anything except sucking the
mosture out of the soil.

Cmd Buzz Corey

Lord Valve wrote:

everything.

"A fool and his money..."

So how did a fool get any money in the first place?

Cmd Buzz Corey

beerbarrel wrote:
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:31:45 -0700, Cmd Buzz Corey
wrote:

You won't find any forests near Abilene, TX unless you count mesquite
trees as forests, and they aren't good for anything except sucking the
mosture out of the soil.

They are great for cooking that steak!

Firewood is all mesquite is good for.

Cmd Buzz Corey

beerbarrel wrote:
Firewood is all mesquite is good for.

You must be a vegetarian!

:-)

Nope, mesquite grilled brisket is hard to beat, or throw a few mesquite
chips on the gas grill to flavor your hamburgers. Cows won't even eat
the mesquite beans unless there is nothing else to eat.

xrongor

i had a friend who sold their house once. they had two bids, one was 10k
higher than the other. they sold it to the lower bidder because they
'liked' them better. apparantly enough to give away ten thousand
dollars.

** Maybe it was worth it to stay friends with their old neighbours.

ive hounded them about it for years. it was for absolutely no other reason
than they 'liked the other couple better'. now, even they realize how
stupid it was. but they were dinks at the time, young and hopeful.... now
they got kids and wish they had that 10k back.

randy

william_b_noble

mesquite is a great wood for making objects from, beautiful grain, hard,
takes a wonderful shine - much nicer than sugar pine and those other
"commercial" woods

"Cmd Buzz Corey" wrote in message
John Byrns wrote:
In article , Cmd Buzz Corey
wrote:

[...]

Cmd Buzz Corey

william_b_noble wrote:

mesquite is a great wood for making objects from, beautiful grain, hard,
takes a wonderful shine - much nicer than sugar pine and those other
"commercial" woods

Maybe so, I havn't tried making anything out of mesquite, but ask the
farmers and ranchers about mesquite trees and you will get quite a
different opinion.

David Stinson

Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:
Maybe so, I havn't tried making anything out of mesquite, but ask the
farmers and ranchers about mesquite trees and you will get quite a
different opinion.

You triggered a memory....
Mesquite flat in Nevada near 'Vegas-
My girlfriend and I out hiking-
Wild burros walking amongst the mesquites,
eating the Mesquite Bean pods that fell from the trees.
And every time they took a step
or bent over to grab another pod of beans....
The sound (and the smell)
of their repast was....remarkable. ;-).

Dave S.
Brian McAllister

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:33:40 -0700, Cmd Buzz Corey
wrote:

Lord Valve wrote:

everything.

"A fool and his money..."

So how did a fool get any money in the first place?

Inherited it or held up a liquor store.

Brian McAllister

Sarasota, Florida

email bkm at oldtech dot net
shiva

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, I'm glad I'm not the one selling the tubes. I have nothing
against people experimenting with used tubes, but rare NOS tubes should
be saved.

Well, no. That's hoarding. That's what brings the prices of once-handy
toobs sky-high. I can understand giving better deals to HAMs who'll be able
to bring up old radios, which would otherwise be too $$$$ to bring to their
original condition, and I've always given better deals to players (people
who use gear) than to pickers (people who re-sell gear for profit).
OTOH, hoarding is one of the reasons most hobbyists have to give up on
tubes having "boutique" value... I'd much rather see a Vincent (pricey old
bike) on the track or in the street, than in some guy's warehouse.
-dim/

sparky wrote:

Your friend is a class a jerk!

Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 03:09:38 GMT, "shiva" wrote:

I'd much rather see a Vincent (pricey old
bike) on the track or in the street, than in some guy's warehouse.

Richard Thompson's song "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" is
covered beautifully on the live Greg Brown album.

I saw one once, on the Oregon coast, with its flattering
low contrast lighting, and can confidently say that they're
museum quality art. Maybe even comparable to an Indian.

Chris Hornbeck

shiva

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:

[...]