Robert Morein

Default What type of receiver?

"D2" wrote in message
om...
I'm about to replace my 15-year old Technics integrated amplifier with
a Yamaha receiver (they don't seem to make integrated amps anymore?) I
like Yamaha sound. Anyway, should I concentrate on stereo receivers or
AV receivers? I do have a DVD player, but I am more concerned with
audio quality than the bells and whistles. I don't even turn on the TV
much. Right now I run 2 main and 2 other speakers off of my Technics
for a pseudo surround for the DVDs.

In the early 90's, there were a few stereo receivers, such as the Nakamichi
TA-4A some of the Sony ES stuff, and perhaps Onkyo, that gave separates a
run for the money.

There isn't anything like that now, except perhaps the Pioneer receivers
with MOSFET outputs. These are heavy pieces, which run with high bias
current, and require lots of ventilation. IF you like the MOSFET sound,
these are comparable to the pieces I mentioned above.

I have a Yamaha DSP-A1, which I use for decoding, switching, and surround
amplification. However, I do not use it to drive the front main speakers. To
my ears, it is not an acceptable replacement for a good basic power amp.

It sounds like your needs would be better served by the used market. You can
pick up Hafler equipment on eBay that is 10X better in construction quality
and 3X better sounding than any receiver available today. Additional
choicies are the Adcom pre-tuner combo units, similar B&K pieces, and
Parasound. A few years back, Parasound made a 40 watt/channel stereo
receiver that might please you.

In the search for elusive quality, don't bother to compare wattage ratings.
100 watts of lousy amplification is not better than 40 watts of decent
amplification.

normanstrong

"D2" wrote in message
om...
I'm about to replace my 15-year old Technics integrated amplifier

with
a Yamaha receiver (they don't seem to make integrated amps anymore?)

like Yamaha sound. Anyway, should I concentrate on stereo receivers

or
AV receivers? I do have a DVD player, but I am more concerned with
audio quality than the bells and whistles. I don't even turn on the

TV
much. Right now I run 2 main and 2 other speakers off of my Technics
for a pseudo surround for the DVDs.

I'd always recommend an A/V receiver. The audio quality is the same
in either case. The only thing you have to concern yourself with is
the presence or absence of a phono stage. If you don't play LPs, even
that is moot.

Norm Strong