Arny Krueger

Default Okay, here it is.

"trotsky" wrote in message
link.net

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Nice looking web site.

Driver tech specs etc. at http://www.madisound.com/silverflute.html

Good luck!

Oily Tartlet

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:39:26 GMT, trotsky wrote:

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Wow! Gorgeous website! Good luck with your new business.

--
The Devil
dave weil

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:39:26 GMT, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

You know we will chuckle

First of all, nice pic on the home page. I'm a bit confused about the
pic of the guy sitting in front of his sofa on the last page though.
I'm sure it's supposed to be a "lifestyle" shot, but I'm not sure if
it adds anything to the mix. I like the cropped speaker shot right
below him.

Second, I like the name.

Third, I like the idea of a ribbon driver. I've never liked their look
on a small box speaker, but that's irrelevant. Having said that, do
you want to use the word "zippy" in your advertising"? I'm not sure
why that seems strange to me, because I might use that as a positive
term in casual conversation. It just seems a bit to close to "edgy" or
"brittle" or "too bright" for ad copy.

Fourth, I'd take the pictures of you off of the site. It makes it look
like you're assembling the things in a spare bedroom (which you might
very well be doing, but that isn't the feeling that the nice web site
gives).

Shouldn't it be specs, not spec.'s on the subwoofer page (I've never
been sure of the rule for abbreviations, but I think that specs has
entered the language as a word of its own)? All I know is that it
doesn't look correct. And speaking of that page, you excoriate other
manufacturers for not quoting certain specs and yet you don't give a
complete set of specs yourself. Just pointing that out. After all, you
have the specs on the speaker page. Oversight maybe?

I would make the photos on the product page clickable to a larger
size. It would be nice to see the details.

Finally, are you going to offer a money back guarantee to those who
pony up over the internet at this early date without having the chance
tohear them? If so, you should probably say so and not just leave it
as an implication. If not, then I doubt you're going to move very many
of these puppies.

Oh yeah, wouldn't you have to charge sales tax to people in IL? You
need to fix your site to take care of this calculation atuomatically
or you run the risk of serious trouble from your state tax department.

A last comment - I like the look of the web site. It's very clean,
modern and somewhat Euro without being totally minimalistic.

Good luck.

Oily Tartlet

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 08:48:29 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

And be brutally honest.

You know we will chuckle

First of all, nice pic on the home page. I'm a bit confused about the
pic of the guy sitting in front of his sofa on the last page though.
I'm sure it's supposed to be a "lifestyle" shot, but I'm not sure if
it adds anything to the mix. I like the cropped speaker shot right
below him.

I've just finished reading / scanning the whole site, and I have to
agree. I don't get that picture either.

Second, I like the name.

I don't. But that's not important.

Third, I like the idea of a ribbon driver. I've never liked their look
on a small box speaker, but that's irrelevant. Having said that, do
you want to use the word "zippy" in your advertising"? I'm not sure
why that seems strange to me, because I might use that as a positive
term in casual conversation. It just seems a bit to close to "edgy" or
"brittle" or "too bright" for ad copy.

Agreed.

Fourth, I'd take the pictures of you off of the site. It makes it look
like you're assembling the things in a spare bedroom (which you might
very well be doing, but that isn't the feeling that the nice web site
gives).

Also agreed.

Shouldn't it be specs, not spec.'s on the subwoofer page (I've never
been sure of the rule for abbreviations, but I think that specs has
entered the language as a word of its own)? All I know is that it
doesn't look correct. And speaking of that page, you excoriate other
manufacturers for not quoting certain specs and yet you don't give a
complete set of specs yourself. Just pointing that out. After all, you
have the specs on the speaker page. Oversight maybe?

Agreed again. And yes, it should be 'specs'. There are a few typos and
glitches in diction, but nothing horrendous.

I would make the photos on the product page clickable to a larger
size. It would be nice to see the details.

Definitely agreed. I tried clicking the pics to get the full-size
version and of course it didn't happen. Full-size pics would be very
nice indeed.

Finally, are you going to offer a money back guarantee to those who
pony up over the internet at this early date without having the chance
tohear them? If so, you should probably say so and not just leave it
as an implication. If not, then I doubt you're going to move very many
of these puppies.

Oh yeah, wouldn't you have to charge sales tax to people in IL? You
need to fix your site to take care of this calculation atuomatically
or you run the risk of serious trouble from your state tax department.

A last comment - I like the look of the web site. It's very clean,
modern and somewhat Euro without being totally minimalistic.

Agreed again.

--
Oily Tartlet
Joe Duffy

In article .net,
trotsky wrote:
http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Impossible without listening.
I hope that sound as good as you say,
and provide the value as well.
All the best on your endeavor!

Joe

Don Pearce

wrote:

[...]

Agreed with everything so far - nice looking. But on the subwoofer
page, I would really go for a more upbeat opening than "I've got some
bad news for you folks: the subwoofers currently available for
consumer purchase aren't good". I suspect there will be many who stop
reading at that point. Tell us how good this sub is, not how bad every
sub is.

Otherwise, agreed on the various linguistic and grammatical errors.
Needs a long slow read.

Also rather more about what the speakers do rather than what you did
would make for a better message.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com
dave weil

wrote:

I would make the photos on the product page clickable to a larger
size. It would be nice to see the details.

Definitely agreed. I tried clicking the pics to get the full-size
version and of course it didn't happen. Full-size pics would be very
nice indeed.

I think that just about everyone will try to enlarge the pics. And
some, like me, will then try to click the little boxes on the side of
the pics only to find that they're only a design feature.

It's possible that you might not want such a "vulgar" feature on a
nice artsy web site like that (at least on the product pages). If
that's the case, then you might set up an "images" page that
incorporates the ability to view larger pics.

Just my .02.
Oily Tartlet

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:24:36 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

I think that just about everyone will try to enlarge the pics. And
some, like me, will then try to click the little boxes on the side of
the pics only to find that they're only a design feature.

Hehe. I did that too. :-)

It's possible that you might not want such a "vulgar" feature on a
nice artsy web site like that (at least on the product pages). If
that's the case, then you might set up an "images" page that
incorporates the ability to view larger pics.

Or simply have the large picture in the top left of the page change to
show the full-size picture of the image you select. That would also be
in keeping with the high-quality feel of the site, I think. Of course,
there could be a separate gallery of larger pictures too. Maybe we
could see the drivers up close and some elegant shots of the
electronics.

--
Oily Tartlet
dave weil

One other style point that I meant to mention:

What's up with the word Kontact with the weird Eastern European dot
above the K?

It just looks like an pretentious affectation, especially when it's
spelled in the English style on the link. I'd ditch that if I were
you...

Lionel Chapuis

trotsky a écrit :
http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Not enough sex !

Oily Tartlet

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:40:23 +0100, Don Pearce
wrote:

Now, now - let's be nice to him for a while. He appears to have an
honest job, after all.

I thought I *was* being nice to him. :-)

Actually, I am genuinely impressed. Although I love the site's design
aesthetic, I think the speakers themselves sound interesting. I'd
never heard of the driver manufacturer, and I do like ribbons rather a
lot.

--
Oily Tartlet
trotsky

Arny Krueger wrote:

"trotsky" wrote in message
link.net

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Nice looking web site.

Driver tech specs etc. at http://www.madisound.com/silverflute.html

Good luck!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

trotsky

dave weil wrote:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:39:26 GMT, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

You know we will

First of all, nice pic on the home page. I'm a bit confused about the
pic of the guy sitting in front of his sofa on the last page though.
I'm sure it's supposed to be a "lifestyle" shot, but I'm not sure if
it adds anything to the mix. I like the cropped speaker shot right
below him.

Filip, my web designer, put that guy in. I have no idea who he is.

Second, I like the name.

Third, I like the idea of a ribbon driver. I've never liked their look
on a small box speaker, but that's irrelevant. Having said that, do
you want to use the word "zippy" in your advertising"?

Of course--in tribute to Zipser. More to the point, in my mind it's a
fine line between sounding stodgy and sounding too conversational.

I'm not sure
why that seems strange to me, because I might use that as a positive
term in casual conversation. It just seems a bit to close to "edgy" or
"brittle" or "too bright" for ad copy.

It's just a euphemism for "lively", which is perhaps too common a
description in the audio lexicon. Although I do agree that there can be
other connotations. (And believe me, I wasn't expecting all this
agreement.)

Fourth, I'd take the pictures of you off of the site. It makes it look
like you're assembling the things in a spare bedroom (which you might
very well be doing, but that isn't the feeling that the nice web site
gives).

Again, that wasn't my idea. But if people are going to use that as an
excuse not to buy then they'd probably wind up returning them for some
other bull**** reason. In my opinion, audiodom needs to stop pandering
to neuroses.

Shouldn't it be specs, not spec.'s on the subwoofer page (I've never
been sure of the rule for abbreviations, but I think that specs has
entered the language as a word of its own)? All I know is that it
doesn't look correct. And speaking of that page, you excoriate other
manufacturers for not quoting certain specs and yet you don't give a
complete set of specs yourself. Just pointing that out. After all, you
have the specs on the speaker page. Oversight maybe?

Yeah, I've already pointed that out to Filip. I gave him a set of
features and specifications (maybe it's best to avoid the abbreviation
altogether?) and he forgot to include them. I also did what I thought
was a very cool LtbAQs (Likely to be Asked Questions) which should be
showing up any day now, too. Good call on your part, though. (I'm
really, really not prepared for so much agreement!)

I would make the photos on the product page clickable to a larger
size. It would be nice to see the details.

Damn, I thought of that too, but haven't mentioned it to Filip. I think
it's expected based on what you see on other websites. Plus, I paid a
pretty penny to have a photographer take those shots, so I'd hope they'd
look good enlarged. There's supposed to be a flash intro on the home
page, so I'll wait and see if he does the thumbnail thing when that's
included.

Finally, are you going to offer a money back guarantee to those who
pony up over the internet at this early date without having the chance
tohear them? If so, you should probably say so and not just leave it
as an implication. If not, then I doubt you're going to move very many
of these puppies.

Damn, dave, if this were a test you'd have scored 100. I had turned in
a terms and conditions that have yet to be posted as well. I'm offering
a 45 day money back guarantee where all you have to pay is shipping if
the speakers are returned. What do you think of the factory direct
thing, anyway? At this point I'm not prepared to do high volume, so I'm
not looking for a dealer base. But I'm not sure I'll ever be looking
for a dealer base, either.

Oh yeah, wouldn't you have to charge sales tax to people in IL? You
need to fix your site to take care of this calculation atuomatically
or you run the risk of serious trouble from your state tax department.

That was in the terms and conditions, too. Maybe I'll give an "all
clear" when the site is at 100%. I'm not going to start advertising
till this is the case.

A last comment - I like the look of the web site. It's very clean,
modern and somewhat Euro without being totally minimalistic.

Good luck.

Thanks.

trotsky

Joe Duffy wrote:

In article .net,
trotsky wrote:

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Impossible without listening.

I can send you a pair to evaluate if you'd like.

trotsky

Don Pearce wrote:

Agreed with everything so far - nice looking. But on the subwoofer
page, I would really go for a more upbeat opening than "I've got some
bad news for you folks: the subwoofers currently available for
consumer purchase aren't good". I suspect there will be many who stop
reading at that point. Tell us how good this sub is, not how bad every
sub is.

Damn, that's a valid point. In my defense, I'd have to say it's also a
fine line between sounding too polite and sounding arrogant. (And if
anybody's the expert on this, it's me.) The bottom line is what I'm
saying is basically true.

Otherwise, agreed on the various linguistic and grammatical errors.
Needs a long slow read.

Also rather more about what the speakers do rather than what you did
would make for a better message.

Hopefully you will find some of that covered in the LtbAQs when those
are posted to the site.

WolfgangGoldberg

From: trotsky

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

Such lovely speakers even my Sophie would have allowed them in the house. (May
she rest in peace.)

A great success you should have. Then maybe you make a few shekels and be a
nice boychik instead of ... But I digress.

Wolfgang Goldberg MD
(Knower of All Things Worth Knowing and a few that... So nu? You want blood,
yet?)
trotsky

Oily Tartlet wrote:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:12:50 +0100, Don Pearce
wrote:

Agreed with everything so far - nice looking. But on the subwoofer
page, I would really go for a more upbeat opening than "I've got some
bad news for you folks: the subwoofers currently available for
consumer purchase aren't good". I suspect there will be many who stop
reading at that point. Tell us how good this sub is, not how bad every
sub is.

Otherwise, agreed on the various linguistic and grammatical errors.
Needs a long slow read.

Also rather more about what the speakers do rather than what you did
would make for a better message.

Well . . . yes. But that wouldn't be quite to Greg's style, would it?

"Like a club tie, a firm handshake, a certain look in the eye and an
easy smile"

I'll bet you know what Pink Floyd lyric that's from.

Oily Tartlet

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:31:18 GMT, trotsky wrote:

"Like a club tie, a firm handshake, a certain look in the eye and an
easy smile"

I'll bet you know what Pink Floyd lyric that's from.

My mind has gone to the Dogs.

--
Thine
trotsky

Oily Tartlet wrote:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:05:30 GMT, trotsky wrote:

Thanks! You do realize you're in agreement with Krueger on this?

It had to happen once.

It probably has something to do with his home planet being so close to
the Earth.

trotsky

Oily Tartlet wrote:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:31:18 GMT, trotsky wrote:

"Like a club tie, a firm handshake, a certain look in the eye and an
easy smile"

I'll bet you know what Pink Floyd lyric that's from.

My mind has gone to the Dogs.

"You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to." Those have to
be words Arnii takes with him to church.

dave weil

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:21:54 GMT, trotsky wrote:

dave weil wrote:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:39:26 GMT, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

You know we will

First of all, nice pic on the home page. I'm a bit confused about the
pic of the guy sitting in front of his sofa on the last page though.
I'm sure it's supposed to be a "lifestyle" shot, but I'm not sure if
it adds anything to the mix. I like the cropped speaker shot right
below him.

Filip, my web designer, put that guy in. I have no idea who he is.

Personally, I would have preferred a buxom, redheaded spiky-haired
girl in a slinky dress. But that's just me.

BTW, I'm not opposed to a non-product lifestyle shot. It just seemed
weird.

Second, I like the name.

Third, I like the idea of a ribbon driver. I've never liked their look
on a small box speaker, but that's irrelevant. Having said that, do
you want to use the word "zippy" in your advertising"?

Of course--in tribute to Zipser. More to the point, in my mind it's a
fine line between sounding stodgy and sounding too conversational.

I just brought it up because of the different connotations that might
be generated.

I'm not sure
why that seems strange to me, because I might use that as a positive
term in casual conversation. It just seems a bit to close to "edgy" or
"brittle" or "too bright" for ad copy.

It's just a euphemism for "lively", which is perhaps too common a
description in the audio lexicon. Although I do agree that there can be
other connotations. (And believe me, I wasn't expecting all this
agreement.)

Yeah, as I said, I've used the word in a positive sense in casual
conversations, but only when I was sure that I could amplify or modify
if necessary. It's harder to do that in ad copy.

Fourth, I'd take the pictures of you off of the site. It makes it look
like you're assembling the things in a spare bedroom (which you might
very well be doing, but that isn't the feeling that the nice web site
gives).

Again, that wasn't my idea. But if people are going to use that as an
excuse not to buy then they'd probably wind up returning them for some
other bull**** reason. In my opinion, audiodom needs to stop pandering
to neuroses.

Still, you want to sell the speakers and not give any unnecessary
possible objections. The whole idea of a slick (not a prejorative term
in this case) web site is to give the impression that one is dealing
with a company that's "professional". Don't get me wrong - I'm not
emplying that a cottage industry company can't be professional. But
it's a bit like sausage - you don't always want to know how it's made,
especially when you're spending over a thousand bucks for something.
Better to leave it to the imagination. Also, those pictures stick out
like a sore thumb. They aren't of the same quality as the others (even
the one of the guy in front of the sofa). They look like someone just
took a digital shot over your shoulder. They don't looked composed
like the others.

Shouldn't it be specs, not spec.'s on the subwoofer page (I've never
been sure of the rule for abbreviations, but I think that specs has
entered the language as a word of its own)? All I know is that it
doesn't look correct. And speaking of that page, you excoriate other
manufacturers for not quoting certain specs and yet you don't give a
complete set of specs yourself. Just pointing that out. After all, you
have the specs on the speaker page. Oversight maybe?

Yeah, I've already pointed that out to Filip. I gave him a set of
features and specifications (maybe it's best to avoid the abbreviation
altogether?) and he forgot to include them. I also did what I thought
was a very cool LtbAQs (Likely to be Asked Questions) which should be
showing up any day now, too. Good call on your part, though. (I'm
really, really not prepared for so much agreement!)

I don't think that it's necessary to avoid the abbreviation, since
your tone is already conversational and informal.

I would make the photos on the product page clickable to a larger
size. It would be nice to see the details.

Damn, I thought of that too, but haven't mentioned it to Filip. I think
it's expected based on what you see on other websites. Plus, I paid a
pretty penny to have a photographer take those shots, so I'd hope they'd
look good enlarged. There's supposed to be a flash intro on the home
page, so I'll wait and see if he does the thumbnail thing when that's
included.

That's the good thing about a shakeout cruise. You get to fix things.

Still, I'mnot sure that I'd want those shots to be clickable, simply
because it's such a clean site (I'm generally disappointed when I
click on a big pic only to have a big pic show up on a white
background without any sort of border or other nice touches). If you
*do* have a large pic pop up, try to have it come up on a nice
background or maybe have it have a cool artsy frame - you know the
kind - with a broken smudgy outline like this:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20936180/original

Finally, are you going to offer a money back guarantee to those who
pony up over the internet at this early date without having the chance
tohear them? If so, you should probably say so and not just leave it
as an implication. If not, then I doubt you're going to move very many
of these puppies.

Damn, dave, if this were a test you'd have scored 100. I had turned in
a terms and conditions that have yet to be posted as well. I'm offering
a 45 day money back guarantee where all you have to pay is shipping if
the speakers are returned. What do you think of the factory direct
thing, anyway?

I think it's almost a mandatory thing if you're going to market via
the internet. I also like the idea of an introductory discount as
well.

Keep in mind that you need to consider what you will do if someone
returns a speaker that is damaged in someway. I'd have all of the
terms spelled out as completely as possible. Gotta think of the worst
case scenarios, you know.

At this point I'm not prepared to do high volume, so I'm
not looking for a dealer base. But I'm not sure I'll ever be looking
for a dealer base, either.

Hopefully you'll be able to generate positive word of mouth.

I wouldn't forgo trying to get them reviewed in print.

Oh yeah, wouldn't you have to charge sales tax to people in IL? You
need to fix your site to take care of this calculation atuomatically
or you run the risk of serious trouble from your state tax department.

That was in the terms and conditions, too. Maybe I'll give an "all
clear" when the site is at 100%. I'm not going to start advertising
till this is the case.

Sounds like you're well on your way.

A last comment - I like the look of the web site. It's very clean,
modern and somewhat Euro without being totally minimalistic.

Good luck.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

All of these things I've mentioned have been simply subjective
opinions of course, EXCEPT for the sales tax deal. It shouldn't be any
big deal to have them fix the calculations part. Keep in mind though
that you might need to research what other states are doing as well -
I know that Tennessee is starting to get aggressive about requiring
sales tax from out of state vendors. So far, I think that they're just
going after the big fish, but there will probably be a trickle down
effect later.

dave weil

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:33:07 GMT, trotsky wrote:

dave weil wrote:

One other style point that I meant to mention:

What's up with the word Kontact with the weird Eastern European dot
above the K?

It just looks like an pretentious affectation, especially when it's
spelled in the English style on the link. I'd ditch that if I were
you...

Okay, now we're in the realm of splitting hairs. How about a little bit
more feedback on how the speakers themselves look, or are new models of
speakers just a boring subject at this point in audio history?

Ummmm, it's not splitting hairs. You asked for opinions of the web
site, right? That word stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Others might
not notice it - others might actually think it looks cool. I just
think it's weird. There's no other connection between Hungarian (or
whatever language it is) other than that word. I *did* notice that
your web design company has done some eastern European and Russian
logos.

I already commented on the speakers' look when I mentioned that I
don't like the way that big square ribbon tweeters look on a small box
speaker. I also noted that it wasn't all that important.

I assume that the speakers' finishes look pretty nice, but until I can
see larger pictures, it could just be plastic veneer for all I can
see.

I certainly can't speak to how they sound, which is surely the most
important thing...
MiNE 109

In article .net,
trotsky wrote:

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Site looks good. Did Mark Levinson lend you his trumpet?

Stephen
Joe Duffy

In article k.net,
trotsky wrote:
Joe Duffy wrote:

In article .net,
trotsky wrote:

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Impossible without listening.

I can send you a pair to evaluate if you'd like.

Hmmm, possibly.
I'll email you.

Joe

Joseph Oberlander

trotsky wrote:
http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Nice site.

Few things, though. The pages are modem friendly, simple, use a lot
of the same graphics, and also have no java. Nice.

I'd add a slightly off-white background or something though - maybe
a bit of paper-esque texture. A flat white field is a bit bland.

Bookshelf speaker page:
Looks like a nice speaker. One gripe, though. Surely with a woofer
that large, you can get better bass than 50hz? The problem with
50hz is that it means you must have a subwoofer for decent sound.
If you could get it down to 40 or 35 hz with, say, a slightly deeper
cabinet, it would be attractive to more potential customers.

7 3/4 inches deep is awfully thin. I say make it 10 inches deep or
so and get better bass. Or, drop to a 6 inch woofer and get better
speed. Using an 8 inch woofer in a small cabinet that limits it to
50hz is a bit of a waste, IMO.

They are front-ported, though - a good thing. Rear ports suck, IMO.

Subwoofer page:
I noticed that the subwoofer had no specs listed. Distortion
would be nice to list as well. Also, what kind of driver does it use?
For $1250, you can get a servo sub.

Oh - and at the 1000+ price range, most subwoofers don't pull that
massive power/bad amp and sloppy bass trick either. Velodyne and
Martin Logan don't and they both have good, clean servo subs in
the same price range.

If it is a normal conventional driver, honestly, $1250 is too much money.
Nobody cares about whether the feet are plastic or not - they want good
clean bass.

Also, will it accept a remote power on input? Does it have a variable
cutoff filter? It would be nice to have features like this so that
your control would be at the unit and not based upon what the crummy
A/V processor thinks it should be doing.

Perhaps the subwoofer has all of this. Without specs, I can't tell
fom looking at the page as to why this is better than the Velodyne.
(no dis on your product - just no data there to draw conclusions from)

All pages:
Ditch the MSRP nonsense. If you sell them and they are good, that's
what they sell for. It makes it look like you are trying to justify the
price.

About Us Page:
The About Us page should have less blather about your goals and a bit
added about your facilities, tech setup, and such. If you use the
latest programs and testing chambers(renting one out is perfectly
acceptable), then mention it. For all we know, this is one guy in the
back of his house making speakers. Again, no dis meannt - just no
information.

Contact Us Page:
The P.O. box thing kind of sucks. If you're in a business or
commercial workshop of any kind, list it as a secondary address
and offer tours - the kind of stop on by and take a look sort
of thing.

I hate small comment boxes. Make it either pop up the user's
email program or make it at the bottom and at least 40 characters
wide. It's hard to write in little boxes more than a line or two
of questions.

Also:
Have a specials/demo unit/blems/customer returns page. Surely
there are a few that poorer people might be interested in.

Have a news page. Where we can hear these demoed or what trade
or music shows you are going to. Most audio manufacturers forget
this part and it's a shame as most consumers don't know about
these shows. If I was thinking about buying your speakers,
knowing where to buy them(if you have distributors) or where
to look at them would be important.

Lionel Chapuis

trotsky a écrit :
http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

May I suggest you that :

"...equally adept at reproducing T. Rex footsteps in a home theater, or
T. Rex music in a two channel system."

doesn't really fit the feeling of the site : trumpet, flower, silk/satin

I don't speak as an expert in audio but and expert in bad joke. To be
sure of that see my previous post (sorry for that ;-) )

Lionel

John Atkinson

trotsky wrote in message hlink.net...
http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Nice-looking site Mr. Singh. And while we may have had some arguments
in the past I take my hat off to you for putting your money where
your mouth is and starting your own business.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Lionel Chapuis

Lionel Chapuis a écrit :
trotsky a écrit :

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

May I suggest you that :

"...equally adept at reproducing T. Rex footsteps in a home theater, or
T. Rex music in a two channel system."

doesn't really fit the feeling of the site : trumpet, flower, silk/satin

I don't speak as an expert in audio but and expert in bad joke. To be
sure of that see my previous post (sorry for that ;-) )

Lionel

Ooops I've done an error trying to add that :
Are you sure your customer know Marc Bolan? Yes, are you sure that they
like him ? Worst, are you sure that they aren't snob who focus only on
classical music ? They will turn back, thinking your "Subterfuge" is to
much typed rock'n'roll...
Your speakers look good and sound good with all kind of music.
Don't take the above in bad part. Save such "easy joke" for your shop. I
don't really know US customers but remember you are selling "de luxe"
products at a pretty high price ! I understand you want to communicate
friendly but don't write it.
This could be temperate by the fact that on the net people usually don't
watch so carefully the "blah, blah" but take care of my advise if you
issue some lifleats based on the web site.

I haven't pretention to give you a marketing lesson, I repeat that I
don't know "de luxe" US customer.

Sincerely,
Lionel

trotsky

dave weil wrote:

One other style point that I meant to mention:

What's up with the word Kontact with the weird Eastern European dot
above the K?

It just looks like an pretentious affectation, especially when it's
spelled in the English style on the link. I'd ditch that if I were
you...

Okay, now we're in the realm of splitting hairs. How about a little bit
more feedback on how the speakers themselves look, or are new models of
speakers just a boring subject at this point in audio history?

Now, now. Play nice!

Actually, I agree with dave on the 'Kontact' thing. I didn't notice
first off, but when he mentioned it and I went back to have a look, I
thought it gave the page an odd, thematically disjointed feel. Which
is a shame, given the quality, homologous feel of the site overall.

It also reminded me of Linn.

That's a fair cop. Linn isn't the first name that comes to mind where
musical accuracy is concerned (though they have made some good products
over the years, regardless of what Pinky says.)

I do however like you using the abbreviation 'LtbAQs' instead of the
usual 'FAQs'. I think that's another nice arty touch that'll be right
at home on your site. I think if some of the writing were tidied up
(and the photos of you working on what seems to be a wallpapering
table were replaced with something else), the site would sell your
company as a distinct, classy, professional manufacturer of speaker
products.

As for the speakers themselves, I think their dimensions are a little
ugly, but what can you do when the tweeter is a long ribbon? The
cabinets however look nicely finished. I'm not sold on the sub, but
that's just my opinion.

The sub is really musical. As I say on the site, most of the subs I've
seen are junk, so I think it has a reason for being.

George M. Middius

The Doofalizer whined:

And be brutally honest.

Impossible without listening.

He's talking about the Web site, you idiot.

trotsky

MiNE 109 wrote:

In article .net,
trotsky wrote:

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Site looks good. Did Mark Levinson lend you his trumpet?

Okay, that made me laugh. No, he didn't lend me his trumpet, because I
refused to give him advice on female orgasms.

trotsky

John Atkinson wrote:

trotsky wrote in message
hlink.net...

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Nice-looking site Mr. Singh. And while we may have had some arguments
in the past I take my hat off to you for putting your money where
your mouth is and starting your own business.

Thanks. I don't expect to go the way of Waveform, either.

dave weil

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 19:21:25 GMT, trotsky wrote:

MiNE 109 wrote:

In article .net,
trotsky wrote:

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Site looks good. Did Mark Levinson lend you his trumpet?

Okay, that made me laugh. No, he didn't lend me his trumpet, because I
refused to give him advice on female orgasms.

And now look at him. No more Kim Cattrell.
George M. Middius

trotsky said:

Nice-looking site Mr. Singh. And while we may have had some arguments
in the past I take my hat off to you for putting your money where
your mouth is and starting your own business.

Thanks. I don't expect to go the way of Waveform, either.

Is that your way of saying you'll refuse to have your speakers
reviewed in Stereophile?

MiNE 109

In article .net,
trotsky wrote:

snip

The sub is really musical. As I say on the site, most of the subs I've
seen are junk, so I think it has a reason for being.

I'm glad you like it. Maybe your ad copy could be more positive so as
not to give a "subs suck, here's another one" impression. Why is less eq
better? Now that you've mentioned junky sub feet, what kind does yours
have? That kind of thing.

Gotta like the sand.

Stephen

Goofball_star_dot_etal

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:04:24 +0100, Oily wrote

I don't. But that's not important.

One would prefer Mother****er Audio.

Audiophiles give me the willies, note.
George M. Middius

Goofy made a funny!

I don't. But that's not important.

One would prefer Mother****er Audio.

Very good, Mr. Willies. How about the products -- Stainless Steel
Speakers?

trotsky

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

trotsky wrote:

http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

Nice site.

Few things, though. The pages are modem friendly, simple, use a lot
of the same graphics, and also have no java. Nice.

I'd add a slightly off-white background or something though - maybe
a bit of paper-esque texture. A flat white field is a bit bland.

Bookshelf speaker page:
Looks like a nice speaker. One gripe, though. Surely with a woofer
that large, you can get better bass than 50hz? The problem with
50hz is that it means you must have a subwoofer for decent sound.
If you could get it down to 40 or 35 hz with, say, a slightly deeper
cabinet, it would be attractive to more potential customers.

Well, that's a quandary. Specs (or spec.'s) don't mean much to me, the
sound is all that matters. The sound is hard to communicate on a
website, of course, but I gave it my best shot. That said, my speaker
have way better bass quality than many speakers with quoted 35 or 40 Hz
bass cutoff frequencies. I'm not bragging--I've just spent a lot of
time listening and feel that I know the strengths and weakness of the
speaker pretty well. They reproduce bass guitar as well as any speaker
I've heard, for example.

7 3/4 inches deep is awfully thin. I say make it 10 inches deep or
so and get better bass. Or, drop to a 6 inch woofer and get better
speed. Using an 8 inch woofer in a small cabinet that limits it to
50hz is a bit of a waste, IMO.

They are front-ported, though - a good thing. Rear ports suck, IMO.

That's the thing, though. To make a deeper cabinet the port would have
to go on the back. You can't make the cabinet with any more internal
volume if you want a flat response from the woofer.

Subwoofer page:
I noticed that the subwoofer had no specs listed. Distortion
would be nice to list as well. Also, what kind of driver does it use?
For $1250, you can get a servo sub.

It's a Peerless woofer. And you can't get a sub with the build quality
of mine for anywhere near the price. The specs, as I told dave weil,
were omitted but should be up in the next day or two.

Oh - and at the 1000+ price range, most subwoofers don't pull that
massive power/bad amp and sloppy bass trick either. Velodyne and
Martin Logan don't and they both have good, clean servo subs in
the same price range.

If you think those things sound good more power to you.

If it is a normal conventional driver, honestly, $1250 is too much money.
Nobody cares about whether the feet are plastic or not - they want good
clean bass.

Honestly, if you can find a subwoofer that weighs 85 lbs, has real wood
veneer, one of the best bass drivers on the market, etc. I would be
shocked. And there's a reason servo technology isn't used on main
speakers anymo it doesn't sound good.

Also, will it accept a remote power on input?

I'm not sure what that means, but it does have signal sensing auto power-on.

Does it have a variable
cutoff filter?

All powered subs do. It's a law. Fortunately, the variable LPF is
defeatable, thus if you have a home theater processor with built in
crossover there's no redundancy.

It would be nice to have features like this so that
your control would be at the unit and not based upon what the crummy
A/V processor thinks it should be doing.

Actually, you're generally better off using the digital crossover in a
processor when possible.

Perhaps the subwoofer has all of this. Without specs, I can't tell
fom looking at the page as to why this is better than the Velodyne.
(no dis on your product - just no data there to draw conclusions from)

All pages:
Ditch the MSRP nonsense. If you sell them and they are good, that's
what they sell for. It makes it look like you are trying to justify the
price.

MSRP is necessary because if decide to go through normal distribution
channels that's what they'll sell for.

About Us Page:
The About Us page should have less blather about your goals and a bit
added about your facilities, tech setup, and such. If you use the
latest programs and testing chambers(renting one out is perfectly
acceptable), then mention it. For all we know, this is one guy in the
back of his house making speakers. Again, no dis meannt - just no
information.

No information to give. I don't do tests other than listening tests.
The crossovers were designed based on measurements to yield the flattest
frequency response, that's about it. The concept here is that many
speakers use "state of the art" design and construction techniques and
still don't sound very good. I use a common sense approach because that
is what's really needed. If you think, for example, that putting some
sort of material or compound to make the cabinets more inert, as many
"high end" manufacturers do, then you don't understand what makes a
speaker sound good. I'm sure there are "measurements" that claim that's
the way to go, but that's where measurements are a detriment rather than
a help.

[...]

I think you're past your allotment of criticisms. Tell me what company
you work for and I'll be happy to point out all the gaffes in their
sales and marketing.

Oily Tartlet

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:38:22 GMT, ow
(Goofball_star_dot_etal) wrote:

One would prefer Mother****er Audio.

cough, splutter, choke

--
Oily Tartlet
Trevor Wilson

"trotsky" wrote in message
link.net...
http://www.jupiter-audio.com

And be brutally honest.

**Best wishes for your new venture Greg.

If I may, I will offer a suggestion: Have you considered addressing the
diffraction effects on your enclosures?

The site looks great. If I may be so crass: How much did it cost? My site is
in desperate need of upgrading.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au