Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default [OT] Noise canceling headphones

I tried some out that a friend had. I only had them
on a short time, but it was pretty clear that they emitted
a low level white noise until the switch was engaged, which
would shut off the noise and maybe did some active canceling,
which wasn't abundantly apparent beyond what the foam around
the ears did.

I've tried others that obviously did what they were meant to.
I could play with things on my desk, shuffling papers etc,
and was pleasantly surprised at how well they suppressed sound.

I don't have access to either pair now, yet I'm in the market
for some. The primary use would be for watching movies on
an airplane. Last time I used some in-ear phones that were
the plug type, but I couldn't get enough volume out of them to
overcome the plane noise, making the dialog unintelligible, and
I rather feared for my hearing health as a result.

Any tips on choosing a pair? Fidelity is important, but effective
noise canceling is the primary goal.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah:

You won't hear that low-level white noise when listening
to such headphones in environments the noice-canceling
was intended for - a busy office, on buses, trains, or at
35,000ft. At home, on the couch, in bed, you can just turn
the noise-canceling feature off, to conserve batteries.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] grant@somewhere.com is offline

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 08:27:29 -0800, Tobiah wrote:

[...]

You might look at the site rtings.com They do serious reviews of tvs
and noise canceling earphones.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 2:53:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

when I tried them i found that above a few hundred Hz, the foam cushions did all the noise isolation.

The active electronics works in the bass region only which is OK because thats where the foam needs the help.

The combination of the foam and electronics did work together pretty well.

mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
when I tried them i found that above a few hundred Hz, the foam cushions did all the noise isolation.

The active electronics works in the bass region only which is OK because thats where the foam needs the help.

The combination of the foam and electronics did work together pretty well.

Right. And most of them use the same cheap chipset for the active
electronics, so it doesn't make a huge difference between them. So,
unless you're going to buy the David Clark or Bose stuff, pick the ones
that have the best foam padding.

noise canceling headphones RichD Tech 29 January 28th 12 07:57 AM
Question about noise canceling headphones... GoodFella Audio Opinions 12 May 29th 08 06:09 PM
Best noise-resisting earmuffs or noise-canceling headphones? [email protected] Pro Audio 9 December 18th 07 12:55 AM
Seinnheiser PXC 250 Question on Noise canceling headphones. [email protected] Audio Opinions 1 June 28th 05 05:37 PM
Sennheiser Noise-Canceling Headphones Stephan Schulz High End Audio 4 May 14th 05 06:01 PM