Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default 2016 Winter NAMM Show Report

I've posted my full show report on my web site. Visit there, or if
you're lazy, here's the direct link to the report as a PDF:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...ike_rivers.pdf
--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...

I've posted my full show report on my web site. Visit there, or if
you're lazy, here's the direct link to the report as a PDF:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...ike_rivers.pdf
--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Couldn't have come at a better time as I'm snowed in.
Thank you!

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/5/2016 12:08 PM, polymod wrote:
Couldn't have come at a better time as I'm snowed in.

One of the reasons why it took me more than a week to finish it was that
I was snowed out and couldn't get back to my house. I didn't feel like
being a bad guest and work on the report while visiting an old friend in
California for a week while DC was snowed in.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

Mike Rivers :

I've posted my full show report on my web site. Visit there, or if
you're lazy, here's the direct link to the report as a PDF:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...m/2016/02/2016

_winter_namm_show_report-v1-2_mike_rivers.pdf

Thanks, Mike. Good stuff !

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...

On 2/5/2016 12:08 PM, polymod wrote:
Couldn't have come at a better time as I'm snowed in.

One of the reasons why it took me more than a week to finish it was that
I was snowed out and couldn't get back to my house. I didn't feel like
being a bad guest and work on the report while visiting an old friend in
California for a week while DC was snowed in.

I'm sure it was nice seeing an old friend as well as getting away from the
nasty weather.
Back in the blizzard of '78 I got "stuck" a few extra days in Florida
because everywhere up north was in a state of emergency.
Now that was nice.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Once upon a time on usenet Mike Rivers wrote:
I've posted my full show report on my web site. Visit there, or if
you're lazy, here's the direct link to the report as a PDF:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...ike_rivers.pdf

Thanks, interesting read.

I always liked the Gizmo, being the hurdy gurdy (and 10cc) fan that I am.

Here's their youtube vid of the 2.0 on a Les Paul;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-6eWiEKbqA
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 7:40:25 AM UTC-4, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Mike Rivers wrote:
I've posted my full show report on my web site. Visit there, or if
you're lazy, here's the direct link to the report as a PDF:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...ike_rivers.pdf

Thanks, interesting read.

I always liked the Gizmo, being the hurdy gurdy (and 10cc) fan that I am.

Do you do the Wall Street Shuffle?

Jack

Here's their youtube vid of the 2.0 on a Les Paul;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-6eWiEKbqA
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 21/05/2016 11:40 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Mike Rivers wrote:
I've posted my full show report on my web site. Visit there, or if
you're lazy, here's the direct link to the report as a PDF:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...ike_rivers.pdf

Thanks, interesting read.

I always liked the Gizmo, being the hurdy gurdy (and 10cc) fan that I am.

Here's their youtube vid of the 2.0 on a Les Paul;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-6eWiEKbqA

Hey Shaun,

You're here as well as nz.comp and F1 !

cheers

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Once upon a time on usenet geoff wrote:
On 21/05/2016 11:40 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Mike Rivers wrote:
I've posted my full show report on my web site. Visit there, or if
you're lazy, here's the direct link to the report as a PDF:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...ike_rivers.pdf
Thanks, interesting read.

I always liked the Gizmo, being the hurdy gurdy (and 10cc) fan that
I am. Here's their youtube vid of the 2.0 on a Les Paul;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-6eWiEKbqA

Hey Shaun,

You're here as well as nz.comp and F1 !

cheers

geoff

Hey Geoff. I read a lot of usenet groups, my interests are many and varied.

BTW don't let the bird fool you into thinking I was criticising you in the
other group. For reasons of his own he kept re-phrasing what I wrote in a
way that made it seem I was critical of you. You know me, if I were I'd tell
you.

Hope you're well mate.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Once upon a time on usenet JackA wrote:
On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 7:40:25 AM UTC-4, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Mike Rivers wrote:
I've posted my full show report on my web site. Visit there, or if
you're lazy, here's the direct link to the report as a PDF:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...ike_rivers.pdf

Thanks, interesting read.

I always liked the Gizmo, being the hurdy gurdy (and 10cc) fan that
I am.

Do you do the Wall Street Shuffle?

I wish! No, my 10cc faves are "I'm Mandy fly me", 'I'm not in love', 'Art
for art's sake' and 'Dreadlock holiday'. I like quite a few others (and had
a couple of albums on vinyl back in the day) but they're the best IMO, they
evoke memories of a more... interesting time in my life.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Jack

Here's their youtube vid of the 2.0 on a Les Paul;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-6eWiEKbqA
--
Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief
has a cozy little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 24/05/2016 5:35 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

I never thought that.

g.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 24/05/2016 5:40 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet JackA wrote:
On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 7:40:25 AM UTC-4, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Mike Rivers wrote:
I've posted my full show report on my web site. Visit there, or if
you're lazy, here's the direct link to the report as a PDF:

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...ike_rivers.pdf

Thanks, interesting read.

I always liked the Gizmo, being the hurdy gurdy (and 10cc) fan that
I am.

Do you do the Wall Street Shuffle?

I wish! No, my 10cc faves are "I'm Mandy fly me", 'I'm not in love', 'Art
for art's sake' and 'Dreadlock holiday'. I like quite a few others (and had
a couple of albums on vinyl back in the day) but they're the best IMO, they
evoke memories of a more... interesting time in my life.

Mandy and Dreadlock have been ruined for me by The Sound - who thrash
them to death. Never was *that* smitten with 10CC anyway.

Don't you hate that (if you are a casual radio listener) - radio
stations that appear at first glance to be on the same 'wavelength' as
you musically, but then turn out to repeat the same limited playlist
over and over, often around the same time slot each day ?!!

geoff

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

Shame.

Never was *that* smitten with 10CC anyway.

I liked that they were different to the other music of the day and a few
songs 'grabbed me'. Godly and Creme were quite innovative and that appealed
as I dislike the endless similarity that is mainstream pop music.

Don't you hate that (if you are a casual radio listener) - radio
stations that appear at first glance to be on the same 'wavelength' as
you musically, but then turn out to repeat the same limited playlist
over and over, often around the same time slot each day ?!!

It's for this very reason (and my abhorance of advertisments) that I haven't
listened to radio for at least 35 years.

Oh, last year I tried 'internet radio' on and off for a couple of days
before deciding nothing had changed in the three decades since I'd last
listened to radio.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

misfit~ wrote:

I always liked the Gizmo, being the hurdy gurdy (and 10cc) fan that I am.

Here's their youtube vid of the 2.0 on a Les Paul;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-6eWiEKbqA

** The original Gizmo was poorly engineered and soon disappeared off the market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gizmo

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Internet Radio (was: 2016 Winter NAMM Show Report)

Sorry, but I just had to rescue this NAMM Show Report thread from
distraction.

On 5/26/2016 9:38 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:

It's for this very reason (and my abhorance of advertisments) that I haven't
listened to radio for at least 35 years.

Oh, last year I tried 'internet radio' on and off for a couple of days
before deciding nothing had changed in the three decades since I'd last
listened to radio.

I don't listen to "Internet Radio" like Spotify and such, but I listen
to radio stations over the Internet - College, community, and other
non-commercial stations. I hear some really interesting music that's
played by real live DJs that have a good knowledge of what they're playing.

But even Public Radio is running commercials these days. They call it
"underwriting" and that used to be just mentioning the name of the
company providing money, maybe 5-10 seconds. Now on Marketplace I'm
hearing 30 second commercials that describe products that the
underwriter sells.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Once upon a time on usenet Mike Rivers wrote:
Sorry, but I just had to rescue this NAMM Show Report thread from
distraction.

Indeed. Sorry about that.

On 5/26/2016 9:38 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:

It's for this very reason (and my abhorance of advertisments) that I
haven't listened to radio for at least 35 years.

Oh, last year I tried 'internet radio' on and off for a couple of
days before deciding nothing had changed in the three decades since
I'd last listened to radio.

I don't listen to "Internet Radio" like Spotify and such, but I listen
to radio stations over the Internet

Yes, that's what I meant. Listening to broadcast radio but via the internet
rather than the airwaves. I tried a few alternate stations, the ones that I
can't get via radio per se because they're using low-powered transmitters
and I'm not in a city centre.

- College, community, and other
non-commercial stations. I hear some really interesting music that's
played by real live DJs that have a good knowledge of what they're
playing.
But even Public Radio is running commercials these days. They call it
"underwriting" and that used to be just mentioning the name of the
company providing money, maybe 5-10 seconds. Now on Marketplace I'm
hearing 30 second commercials that describe products that the
underwriter sells.

Yep. Sad really. Still I don't suppose they care whether I listen or not.