Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Car Audio

Just got a little subwoofer for the new car (Prius V) that is worth telling
about. It is the Powerbass BTA8, an 8 inch woofer in a nice carpeted
enclosure with amp and connections.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbass-BTA8...bwoofer+8+inch

The concept is a new car with upgrade JBL speaker system, but is anemic in
the bass. Sometimes they (carsound junkies) rip out the old and put in a
whole new system, but I knew I didn't need that, because with the addition
of a reasonable sub I should be able to fill in the bottom end nicely
without the need to shake the shingles off the houses as I drive by. And I
was right. The sound is 100% improved - I can hear the bass frequencies and
the imaging is the same, seeming to come from up front with the new hoeft
and solidity that I was looking for. The thing has adjustments for gain,
crossover point, and low freq EQ, which means how much boost at 40 Hz. The
crossover can be set anywhere from 40 to 250, and the unit is supposed to go
down to 35 Hz. I have set it to around 200 so that it might fill in more of
the freqs that rattle my JBL speakers, which I had boosted with the 3 band
equalizer on the head unit. I was right on this too, because now it can play
the Delos bass decade track with no rattling and get down to about 40 OK.

Anyway, nice little boost to the quality of the entire system by just
enhancing the bottom end. Best car system I have had now for about 23 years.

Gary Eickmeier