Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.engr.television.broadcast
slakka slakka is offline

Default Audio expert question please!

Dear Newsgroups,
I gotta one of a kind interview on mini dv. When played back it both
looks and sounds terrific!!
Problem occurs when editing interview onto dvd. Audio becomes very
muddy/unusable

I could really use any suggestions on how I may cure this please??

Thanks in advance!!

pittwindmill@see-below-no-spam
hotmail.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.engr.television.broadcast
robinlos robinlos is offline

On Sep 27, 4:29*pm, slakka wrote:
Dear Newsgroups,
I gotta one of a kind interview on mini dv. When played back it both
looks and sounds terrific!!
Problem occurs when editing interview onto dvd. Audio becomes very
muddy/unusable

*I could really use any suggestions on how I may cure this please??

*Thanks in advance!!

pittwindmill@see-below-no-spam
hotmail.com

Maybe you can record to another machine, and edit from there. First
thing with something irreplaceable is to make a copy. Believe it or
not reducing the info to NTSC and, editing on S-VHS with flying erase
head is better than nothing. Worse case, you can go to a professional
and rent an editing suite. But before you do anything, make a copy and
secure it. Good luck.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.engr.television.broadcast
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

robinlos wrote:

slakka wrote:
Dear Newsgroups,
I gotta one of a kind interview on mini dv. When played back it both
looks and sounds terrific!!
Problem occurs when editing interview onto dvd. Audio becomes very
muddy/unusable

I could really use any suggestions on how I may cure this please??

Thanks in advance!!

pittwindmill@see-below-no-spam
hotmail.com

Maybe you can record to another machine, and edit from there. First
thing with something irreplaceable is to make a copy. Believe it or
not reducing the info to NTSC and, editing on S-VHS with flying erase
head is better than nothing. Worse case, you can go to a professional
and rent an editing suite. But before you do anything, make a copy and
secure it. Good luck.

I'd transfer straight to non-linear PC/Mac editing. And back those files
up properly. You wouldn't believe the 'fun' I've had mending broken
archives.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.engr.television.broadcast
snags snags is offline

"slakka" wrote in message
Dear Newsgroups,
I gotta one of a kind interview on mini dv. When played back it both
looks and sounds terrific!!
Problem occurs when editing interview onto dvd. Audio becomes very
muddy/unusable

I could really use any suggestions on how I may cure this please??

Thanks in advance!!

pittwindmill@see-below-no-spam
hotmail.com

I bet you have a resampling problem, mini dv records at 48k and DVDs I think
are 44.1, I think you need to take that audio stream into a program like
soundforge and resample it.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.engr.television.broadcast
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"snags" wrote in message
I gotta one of a kind interview on mini dv. When played back it both
looks and sounds terrific!!
Problem occurs when editing interview onto dvd. Audio becomes very
muddy/unusable

I bet you have a resampling problem, mini dv records at 48k and DVDs I

think
are 44.1,

No, the standard DVD sampling rate is 48kHz, CD's use 44.1.

I think you need to take that audio stream into a program like
soundforge and resample it.

Vegas (and many others) will resample on the fly anyway, but if that was his
problem, I doubt he would describe the result as "muddy", the pitch would be
clearly wrong instead.

MrT.