Tomislav Crncic

Default Subwoofer Output Question

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.music.makers.dj.]
On 2004-02-10, citronzx wrote:

I'm not sure why you think that a square wave will do damage to a speaker
but you are wrong. If you have a signal generator try playing a square wave
into a speaker for as long as you like and you will find that it causes no
damage. Think about it, what you are saying is that a coil of wire will be
damaged by an AC signal if the signal varies in a particular way. This is
silly of course as long as the power level is resonable for the speaker.
Oh, and I would like to see you graph a signal where a DC signal has any
sort of "edge." Sorry brother but you seem confused.

the speaker itself is not damaged by the dc component. the problem is the
transient from the sine to dc component, since it contains a lot more
energy in high frequencies. and what happens nesxt is that a lot more energy
than normal goes to tweeters, and they can not withstand it, so they burn out.

--
Tech Support: "I need you to boot the computer."
Customer: (THUMP! Pause.) "No, that didn't help."

Tomislav Crncic

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.music.makers.dj.]

Tomislav Crncic

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.music.makers.dj.]

Tomislav Crncic

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.music.makers.dj.]

Tomislav Crncic

On 2004-02-11, Lucy Explainin wrote:

"Svante" wrote in message
om...
"G M" wrote in message

"Nope. The problem with clipping amplifiers is mainly that the spectral
content of the signal is shifted towards higher frequencies as the
signal is clipped, and also that the dynamics of the signal is lost."

So if we put a 1v 150hz sine wave with nearly no harmonics into and
amplifier and then on to a speaker and push it to cliping you are saying
that a bass driver will not burn its coil out - yes?

the bass driver wont, the tweeter wil, because more power is going to
tweeter instead of bass unit.

"and the tweeter burns."
Why? If it's within it's power rating and is just getting a nasty clipped
harmic top end signal why would this be so?

what power rating? in any speaker, tweeter is rated 2-3 times lower than
the bass driver. they both make speaker power rating, but they are not the same.
in normal signa, the ratio is about 70% bass and 30% highs. in clipped signal
it can be reversed - 70% of the signal goes to tweeter, and 30% to bass. guess
which one will burn?

--
Tech Support: "I need you to boot the computer."
Customer: (THUMP! Pause.) "No, that didn't help."

Tomislav Crncic

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.music.makers.dj.]

Tomislav Crncic

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.music.makers.dj.]

Tomislav Crncic