Robert Stanton

Default DSD Recording Good. PCM recordings bad?

chung wrote in message ...
Harry Lavo wrote:

Isn't it interesting that we "subjectivists" here are always whipsawed by
the "objectivists" for thinking that extended frequency response is a
benefit "because it can't be heard". Then, in defense of DVD-A, the
increased noise in the ultrasonic range is bandied about as making DSD/SACD
"inferior".

Actually it's interesting that subjectivists said that they need the
ultrasonic bandwidth to fully perceive music, and yet they like SACD's
despite the much higher (by orders of magnitude) ultrasonic noise
inherent in the SACD format.

I often see ultrasonic noise mentioned as a problem for SACD players.
If ultrasonic noise were really a problem, it could be easily
eliminated with a small, active lowpass filter.

Why wouldn't the manfactures of "high end" SACD players, just filter
it out?

Bob Stanton
Karl Uppiano

"Robert Stanton" wrote in message
m...
chung wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Great question. Filtering is a natural part of a properly designed PCM
system. I can't put my finger on it exactly , but the DSD spec seems
gimmicky and incomplete.

Bob Stanton

chung

Robert Stanton wrote:
chung wrote in message ...
Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Some high-end SACD players provide that option.

Philosophically, there are two issues, I think. One, DSD/SACD proponents
claim the much wider bandwidth over CD's, and filtering will reduce
significantly that claimed advantage. Two, DSD/SACD proponents claim
that their D/A is simply a (single-pole) lowpass filter. Having
additional filtering will make it similar to the PCM's output filters,
with the attendant claimed problems (phase linearity, etc.).

Karl Uppiano

"chung" wrote in message
rvers.com...
Robert Stanton wrote:
chung wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

A well-designed PCM system (e.g., CD-Audio) uses phase-linear, oversampling
digital FIR filters to allow the use of very gentle, phase-linear analog
filtering. I think the original Sony/Philips engineers that knew what they
were doing when they designed the CD-Audio spec must have retired without
passing their expertise on to the next generation.

Karl Uppiano

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 12:53:18 -0800, chung wrote:

One, DSD/SACD proponents
claim the much wider bandwidth over CD's, and filtering will reduce
significantly that claimed advantage.

Having a gentle low pass filter at 60 or 100 KHz doesn't significantly
reduce SACD's bandwith. You get more than PCM 96 or 192 in both cases!

I would start a 3 dB/octave rolloff at 20kHz or so.

chung

Fran=E7ois Yves Le Gal wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 12:53:18 -0800, chung wrote:
=20
One, DSD/SACD proponents=20
claim the much wider bandwidth over CD's, and filtering will reduce=20
significantly that claimed advantage.

=20
Having a gentle low pass filter at 60 or 100 KHz doesn't significantly
reduce SACD's bandwith. You get more than PCM 96 or 192 in both cases!
=20

That does very little to the noise between 20KHz and 50KHz.

chung

Karl Uppiano wrote:

"chung" wrote in message
rvers.com...
Robert Stanton wrote:
chung wrote in message

[...]

I agree with you, and that's why I said "claimed" . Maybe I should
have said "imagined". I also said "philosophically".

chung

Fran=E7ois Yves Le Gal wrote:
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:42:29 -0800, chung wrote:
=20
That does very little to the noise between 20KHz and 50KHz.

=20
The noise is at much lower levels in these frequency bands.
=20
=20

The noise starts rising from 10KHz, and is significant between 20KHz and =

50KHz. Check out some player measurements:

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalso...06/index5.html

Noise is 30 dB higher than 24 bit LPCM at 20 KHz.

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalso...15/index6.html

Here, the Pioneer SACD noise floor peaks at 40KHz.

In any event, if you put a 1st order filter with a -3dB frequency of=20
60KHz, the attenuation at 100KHz is only 5.8 dB. Not much of a filter.

Arny Krueger

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 12:53:18 -0800, chung wrote:

One, DSD/SACD proponents
claim the much wider bandwidth over CD's, and filtering will reduce
significantly that claimed advantage.

Having a gentle low pass filter at 60 or 100 KHz doesn't
significantly reduce SACD's bandwith. You get more than PCM 96 or
192 in both cases!

I would start a 3 dB/octave rolloff at 20kHz or so.

Ironically, most if not all people can't hear the difference a brickwall
filter at 16 KHz makes, if the filter is well-designed.

Don't believe me?

Listen for yourself at http://www.pcabx.com/technical/low_pass/index.htm .

Arny Krueger

chung wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

Isn't it interesting that we "subjectivists" here are always
whipsawed by the "objectivists" for thinking that extended
frequency response is a benefit "because it can't be heard". Then,
in defense of DVD-A, the increased noise in the ultrasonic range is
bandied about as making DSD/SACD "inferior".

Actually it's interesting that subjectivists said that they need the
ultrasonic bandwidth to fully perceive music, and yet they like
SACD's despite the much higher (by orders of magnitude) ultrasonic
noise inherent in the SACD format.

I often see ultrasonic noise mentioned as a problem for SACD players.
If ultrasonic noise were really a problem, it could be easily
eliminated with a small, active lowpass filter.

Why wouldn't the manfactures of "high end" SACD players, just filter
it out?

Wouldn't the filter affect the overtones of the music just as much as it
affects the noise?

Randy Yates

"Karl Uppiano" writes:
[...]
A well-designed PCM system (e.g., CD-Audio) uses phase-linear, oversampling
digital FIR filters to allow the use of very gentle, phase-linear analog
filtering. I think the original Sony/Philips engineers that knew what they
were doing when they designed the CD-Audio spec must have retired without
passing their expertise on to the next generation.

Right-on, brother. I've been watching (sometimes not so passively)
this "DVD-A/SACD" blindside on the consumers for a couple of years now
and my conclusion, as one whose career is in digital signal
processing, is that it's a complete and utter farce.

In the end, consumers will have emptied out their pocketbooks for new
players and, more importantly, new media which are indistinguishable
in sound quality from CD audio.

The only possible rational justification for a new format is the
inclusion of multiple ( 2) tracks. The sound quality arguments are
empty.
--
% Randy Yates % "Though you ride on the wheels of tomorrow,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % you still wander the fields of your