Posted to rec.audio.tech
djh djh is offline

Default Yamaha RX-V750 + OTA television signal = volume fluctuation

I got a Yamaha RX-V750 7.1 AV receiver this past weekend. I have it
configured for 5.1 surround sound and use an over-the-air television antenna
for viewing local programming (no cable). The audio signal I receive from
NBC fluctuates significantly, this occurs in programs as well as
commercials. An example would be while watching the local news the volume
will be at a normal listening level throughout the entire news cast but when
the station goes to commercial the sound level drops to a far less audible
level for some of the commercials, not all. When the news resumes the sound
level returns to normal. It is not limited to commercials only. It drops the
sound level for certain programs such as The Tonight Show. When I try to
watch The Tonight Show I turn the volume up to a normal listening level but
the sound has a muffled quality to it. I do not have this problem with the
other national networks. Although I have noticed some distinct sound
variations on other networks such as background sound is somewhat
diminished during some programming as well as commercials, but certainly
not as pronounced as NBC. I had a Sony 5.1 AV receiver but replaced it with
the Yamaha but I did not have this sound trouble with the Sony. Am I
missing something in the setup of the receiver? I've followed the setup
guide to balance the speakers using the microphone. I'm using optical cable
to connect the television to the receiver. Has anyone else run into this
problem? Thank you for any help or advice you might have.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Sounds like a bunch of knob-monkeys at the TV stations having trouble implementing the CALM act.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
whosbest54[_2_] whosbest54[_2_] is offline

In article , says...
[...]

How did you have the Sony hooked up to the TV? The same way with an optical
digital cable or did you use the analog out? If it was the same, then there
seems to be something strange going on with the Yamaha.

It could be a problem with the Dolby Digital audio as broadcast by the
station given the other stations don't have as pronounced a problem. But one
would think others would have the same problem and tell the station.

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Hunker David Hunker is offline

I lost patience and purchased another Sony. Problem solved. Thank you for
your thoughts though.

"whosbest54" wrote in message

In article , says...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_] Kevin McMurtrie[_3_] is offline

In article ,
"djh" wrote:

[...]

It sounds like Dolby Dialnorm problems with AC-3 decoding. It's a
headroom adjusting hack designed accommodate low and high dynamic range
programs.

A perfect receiver will not fix the problem. Many TV stations don't
pass through the correct Dialnorm value. Even when they are, it's
probably wrong from the program too. The Tonight Show with Jay Leno is
an excellent example of how Dialnorm should not be used. It uses a high
dynamic range profile but it's recorded with a very compressed dynamic
range. In a feeble attempt to create a "live" atmosphere, people mixing
the sound crank up the volume for a moment when they notice that the
crowd is reacting.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message

"djh" wrote:

[...]

Thank you for pointing dialnorm out to me. I found a post at
hometheaterforum.com that described my predicament precisely. My thanks to
Michael Reuben for his insight.
"The theory behind dialnorm is to allow DD signals to be adjusted so that
dialogue is always at a constant level when switching among soundtracks. The
dialnorm setting achieves this by instructing the decoder to raise (or
lower) the overall volume by a set amount. The feature would be useful in
things like TV broadcasts, where it could be applied to maintain a constant
volume across different channels -- if only it were used correctly. But it
almost never is. For example, I receive one cable channel that has a
dialnorm setting of 0 DBFS, because some idiot in the broadcast chain
obviously thinks that's a "neutral" setting, when in fact it drops the DD
volume by 31db (27 more than a typical DVD), which makes it almost
inaudible."
Again, thank you for your time and pointing out this answer for me.