Posted to rec.audio.tubes
ralf ralf is offline

Default matching reverb transformer to reverb tank?

I'm trying to build a stand alone reverb unit like the first Fender
from spare parts. I used the Fender circuit with the standard Fender
reverb transformer but the only tank I have is a Folded Line from an
old organ which says: "made in Milton, Wis. by beautiful girls in
controlled atmosphere conditions". It has low, distorted output with
some hum. Everything looks good going into the tank which seems
mechanically ok. Any ideas?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

ralf wrote:

I'm trying to build a stand alone reverb unit like the first Fender
from spare parts. I used the Fender circuit with the standard Fender
reverb transformer but the only tank I have is a Folded Line from an
old organ which says: "made in Milton, Wis. by beautiful girls in
controlled atmosphere conditions". It has low, distorted output with
some hum. Everything looks good going into the tank which seems
mechanically ok. Any ideas?

You need an Accutronics 4AB3C1B, or a 9AB3C1B if you'd like things a bit
more lush.

Give the "Folded Line" tank a miss - it's a piece of ****.

Lord Valve
Expert

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"ralf"

I'm trying to build a stand alone reverb unit like the first Fender
from spare parts. I used the Fender circuit with the standard Fender
reverb transformer but the only tank I have is a Folded Line from an
old organ which says: "made in Milton, Wis. by beautiful girls in
controlled atmosphere conditions". It has low, distorted output with
some hum. Everything looks good going into the tank which seems
mechanically ok. Any ideas?

** Make sure all the tiny, tubular magnets are suspended freely when the
tank is in its normal position.

Otherwise, YOU have totally ****ed up your electronics.

Got a scope ??

A DMM ?

Anything ??

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RickH RickH is offline

It might not be a mis-match, instead what you are feeding into it may
be exactly what you are hearing, that is, a signal with a large hum
content.

If the reverb tranny you are using now has a low output impedance, just
hook up a high efficiency speaker to it as a test to actually Hear what
you are sending to the reverb tank. If that sounds hum-filled and weak
then the problem is not the tank but instead your driver circuit.
Conversely you can test your recovery circuit by playing the line
output from a cd player into the recovery circuit. If that is weak and
hum-filled then the problem is a bad recovery pre-amp.

If both driver and recovery circuits produce good sound, then it Is the
tank or impedance match, and go get the Accutronics tank like LV said.
They are relatively inexpensive.

ralf wrote:
I'm trying to build a stand alone reverb unit like the first Fender
from spare parts. I used the Fender circuit with the standard Fender
reverb transformer but the only tank I have is a Folded Line from an
old organ which says: "made in Milton, Wis. by beautiful girls in
controlled atmosphere conditions". It has low, distorted output with
some hum. Everything looks good going into the tank which seems
mechanically ok. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ether Ether is offline

Lord Valve wrote:
ralf wrote:

I'm trying to build a stand alone reverb unit like the first Fender
from spare parts. I used the Fender circuit with the standard Fender
reverb transformer but the only tank I have is a Folded Line from an
old organ which says: "made in Milton, Wis. by beautiful girls in
controlled atmosphere conditions". It has low, distorted output with
some hum. Everything looks good going into the tank which seems
mechanically ok. Any ideas?

You need an Accutronics 4AB3C1B, or a 9AB3C1B if you'd like things a bit
more lush.

Give the "Folded Line" tank a miss - it's a piece of ****.

Lord Valve
Expert

You lost, Willie. GET OVER IT!

--E

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
ralf ralf is offline

On 8 Nov 2006 08:36:14 -0800, "RickH"
wrote:

It might not be a mis-match, instead what you are feeding into it may
be exactly what you are hearing, that is, a signal with a large hum
content.

If the reverb tranny you are using now has a low output impedance, just
hook up a high efficiency speaker to it as a test to actually Hear what
you are sending to the reverb tank. If that sounds hum-filled and weak
then the problem is not the tank but instead your driver circuit.
Conversely you can test your recovery circuit by playing the line
output from a cd player into the recovery circuit. If that is weak and
hum-filled then the problem is a bad recovery pre-amp.

If both driver and recovery circuits produce good sound, then it Is the
tank or impedance match, and go get the Accutronics tank like LV said.
They are relatively inexpensive.

thanks all, I will put my best man on this.

ralf wrote:
I'm trying to build a stand alone reverb unit like the first Fender
from spare parts. I used the Fender circuit with the standard Fender
reverb transformer but the only tank I have is a Folded Line from an
old organ which says: "made in Milton, Wis. by beautiful girls in
controlled atmosphere conditions". It has low, distorted output with
some hum. Everything looks good going into the tank which seems
mechanically ok. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

ralf wrote:

I'm trying to build a stand alone reverb unit like the first Fender
from spare parts. I used the Fender circuit with the standard Fender
reverb transformer but the only tank I have is a Folded Line from an
old organ which says: "made in Milton, Wis. by beautiful girls in
controlled atmosphere conditions". It has low, distorted output with
some hum. Everything looks good going into the tank which seems
mechanically ok. Any ideas?

I once designed and built a suitable reverb unit that went into a
Marshall 100W head,
with the spring tank mounted away from the power tranny end of the box
to keep the hum low.

It had a paralleled 12AT7 with small ex radio 5k to 8 OPT to drive the
input end of the springs,
then a paralleled 12AX7 acting as a normal gain tube to amplifiy
the output end of the spring unit which has a similar output to a moving
magnet
phono cartridge, ie, a few mV.
The actual tranny I used was a 5W line matching tranny for 5k to 4,8&16
ohms, and ungapped,
but with only 7mA of dc a gap wasn't needed, and the tranny cost less
than $10 at
our Dick Smith Elecronics store, like Radio Shack in the US.

When mixed with the signal path before the master gain control it
made the music like it was coming from a mile along a tunnel when
turned up full and when used properly had the
splendid warming effect on the instrumental tone; a little bit of
reverb goes a long way.

A Fender schematic I saw in the Groove Tube book unit used a 6V6 as the
exciting tube to work into
OPT to cause magnetic vibration mechanically of the springs which
retain the music tones for a long time.
But EL84, or other triode tubes are OK, except 12AX7 or other high Ra
low gm tubes.

I would think that straight springs that are unfolded would be best,
and the makers don't need to be the Milton Twins, who know about organs,
and in
perfect weather.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] Gerry@earthlinc.com is offline

On 8 Nov 2006 22:52:15 -0800, "Ether" wrote:

Lord Valve wrote:
ralf wrote:

I'm trying to build a stand alone reverb unit like the first Fender
from spare parts. I used the Fender circuit with the standard Fender
reverb transformer but the only tank I have is a Folded Line from an
old organ which says: "made in Milton, Wis. by beautiful girls in
controlled atmosphere conditions". It has low, distorted output with
some hum. Everything looks good going into the tank which seems
mechanically ok. Any ideas?

You need an Accutronics 4AB3C1B, or a 9AB3C1B if you'd like things a bit
more lush.

Give the "Folded Line" tank a miss - it's a piece of ****.

Lord Valve
Expert