Default CD-DA to Wav to DVD as Wav files?

Hello, readers!

Could you please advise me on any sofware that let me create PCM Wav
Files from CD-DA's (PCM 44/16), manipulate these Wav Files, to finally
burn them onto a DVD Data disc? By "manipulate", I mean normalizing
them, creting the 2 seconds standard "break" among them like in regular
CD-DA's, or actually "joining" two or more of these Wav Files like in
regular live CD-DA's where songs are continuously played without any
breaks.

Of course, I understand that I might need to change from CD-quality PCM
44/16 to DVD-quality PCM 48/16 in order for the disc to work, but I am
okay with that.

One more thing, please. I am not interested in changing these WAV's to
128 Kbps MP3's or 320 Kbps MP3's or anything in between. Why? Just
simply because I prefer Wav Files. And I understand that 320 Kbps MP3's
sound as good to human ears as CD-DA's. And why DVD's? Simply because I
can place up to six hours of WAV Files onto each DVD. And six hours of
songs on a DVD is enough for me. I am not interested in having 10, 15,
or 20 something hours on a DVD, at least not for now.

Finally, if this has been barely discussed on Usenet and on most other
boards, yes, there are some standalone players that can play DVD's
encoded with WAV Files.

I hope to read from you soon.

Best of the best,

Carlos Albert Lacaye
makberto(at)anothermessage(dot)com

Michael McInnis

Exact Audio Copy will rip to wave files and normalize them.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Regards,

MM

Michael McInnis Productions

wrote in message oups.com...
[...]

Hello, MM!

Thank you! That's a step in the right direction. By any lucky chance,
do you know if the normalization is made via "peak normalization" or
"average normalization"? I cannot seem to find that information on the
site, but I will keep reading or contact the author in case you don't
know.

Until soon,

CA-L

RD Jones

Hello, readers!

Could you please advise me on any sofware that let me create PCM Wav
Files from CD-DA's (PCM 44/16), manipulate these Wav Files, to finally
burn them onto a DVD Data disc? By "manipulate", I mean normalizing
them, creting the 2 seconds standard "break" among them like in regular
CD-DA's, or actually "joining" two or more of these Wav Files like in
regular live CD-DA's where songs are continuously played without any
breaks.

Nero with it's bundled editor, EAC, Sound Forge, CoolEdit,
Audition, Wavelab, Samplitude, etc, etc, ...

One more thing, please. I am not interested in changing these WAV's to
128 Kbps MP3's or 320 Kbps MP3's or anything in between. Why? Just
simply because I prefer Wav Files. And I understand that 320 Kbps MP3's
sound as good to human ears as CD-DA's. And why DVD's? Simply because I
can place up to six hours of WAV Files onto each DVD. And six hours of
songs on a DVD is enough for me. I am not interested in having 10, 15,
or 20 something hours on a DVD, at least not for now.

The data stream from a CD playback is for practical
purposes a 16bit WAV file without the header.
If you are reading R.A.P (as I'm not crossposting this
reply) you are in good company in prefering not to 'MP3'.

Finally, if this has been barely discussed on Usenet and on most other
boards, yes, there are some standalone players that can play DVD's
encoded with WAV Files.

Hmmm ... Are these limited to 48/16 ?

Hello, MM!

Thank you! That's a step in the right direction. By any lucky chance,
do you know if the normalization is made via "peak normalization" or
"average normalization"? I cannot seem to find that information on the
site, but I will keep reading or contact the author in case you don't
know.

I'd urge you not to do any further 'manipulation' as the
vast majority of CD audio is already processed more than
needed for most people's enjoyment. In particular the use
of RMS or average normalization can cause a lot of clipping
and ruin good recordings if not done precisely right.

good luck
rd

Hello, Fred!

Thanks for your help.

As for I have been reading, quite some people think that ReplayGain is
the best solution. However, ReplayGain is not supported by most (or
all) standalone DVD players, so it doesn't actually normalize the WAV
files while being played by standalones.

Take care,

Carlos Albert Lacaye

P.S.: Yes, there are some standalone players that can read either CD's
with WAV files and/or DVD's with WAV files! Thanks!

P.P.S.: Crossposting!

Hi, fred!

Wow! That's wonderful news! But please let me ask you a "dumb"
question, and I am sorry for my being a novice. Is it possible to apply
Wavegain to many WAV files at the same time as opposed to doing it one
by one?

Thanks again,

Carlos Albert L.

NRen2k5

On 9/27/2005 7:43:14 AM, wrote:
Hi, fred!

Wow! That's wonderful news! But please let me ask you a "dumb"
question, and I am sorry for my being a novice. Is it possible to apply
Wavegain to many WAV files at the same time as opposed to doing it one
by one?

Thanks again,

Carlos Albert L.

Yes. You can do so easily using the WaveGain frontend. It can even treat folders as individual albums, so that the entire album is adjusted by the same level, meaning any tracks that transition into one another will still sound correct.

- NRen2k5

Hi, NRen2k5!

Thank you kindly for your information.

I ran into another problem. It appears that, after using WaveGain, it
is not advisable to turn the volume too loud as it could cause
clipping. Is this correct? As I am using mainly disco music, it follows
that I will use loud music, at least some of the time. So I am
thinking, could it be that this WaveGain is not the best solution for
me? Also, normalizing by "average" levels can pose the same problem.
Hence, I am only left with "peak" levels. According to what I have
heard, "peak" levels is best to do within limits, say at 97% but only
when it is lower than 95% or higher than 98%. What do you or other
readers think of this?

Before I close, I will not leave the WAV files on my computer, I will
transfer them to discs to then be played on standalones.

Laters,

Carlos Albert L.

Can files be transferred using USB ports? HiC Pro Audio 53 May 14th 05 10:54 PM
mp3 vs. m4a (acc) files for website audio examples Johnston West Pro Audio 2 November 14th 04 05:31 PM
Logic Audio: How do I keep audio (wav) files separate for separate projects? Squares Pro Audio 0 October 31st 03 06:47 PM
Extracting audio metadata Gaz General 2 October 27th 03 04:28 PM
Help! Retrieving Deleted Protools Files t fitzgerald Pro Audio 8 October 10th 03 05:33 AM