Doc

Default Using insert on mic preamp with compressor

The insert jack on my preamp indicates "tip-send ring-return" and on the
sidechain jack on the compressor is exactly the opposite "tip-return
ring-send", is it correct that I just need to have a single tip/ring/sleeve
type cord going between the 2? Should the compressed signal then be coming
out of the preamp's line-out jack? When I do this, I get signal registering
on the compressor, but no signal out from the preamp.

Is a patch cord with 3 sections the same thing as a tip/ring/sleeve cord? Or
is what I need a different animal?

Thanks.

nmm

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 1:58 PM, Doc
m wrote:
The insert jack on my preamp indicates "tip-send ring-return"
and on the
sidechain jack on the compressor is exactly the opposite "tip-
return
ring-send", is it correct that I just need to have a single tip/ring/
sleeve
type cord going between the 2? Should the compressed signal
then be coming
out of the preamp's line-out jack? When I do this, I get signal
registering
on the compressor, but no signal out from the preamp.

Is a patch cord with 3 sections the same thing as a tip/ring/
sleeve cord? Or
is what I need a different animal?

Thanks.

Are you trying to compress your signal or are trying to get a sidechain
effect on some other signal going into your comp?

Eric

Doc wrote:

The insert jack on my preamp indicates "tip-send ring-return" and on the
sidechain jack on the compressor is exactly the opposite "tip-return
ring-send", is it correct that I just need to have a single tip/ring/sleeve
type cord going between the 2? Should the compressed signal then be coming
out of the preamp's line-out jack? When I do this, I get signal registering
on the compressor, but no signal out from the preamp.

Is a patch cord with 3 sections the same thing as a tip/ring/sleeve cord? Or
is what I need a different animal?

Thanks.

It sounds to me like you are doing everything correctly. Which preamp and
compressor are you using?

--
Eric
www.Raw-Tracks.com

Eric

Eric wrote:

It sounds to me like you are doing everything correctly. Which preamp and
compressor are you using?

Oops, I responded too quickly, without really thinking. A compressor side chain
input is used for something different. You need a send/return cable that is TRS on
one end with 2 TS on the other. One TS will be send, the other return. Those will
patch to the compressor's input and output, not the sidechain input.

--
Eric
www.Raw-Tracks.com

Mike Rivers

In article . net writes:

The insert jack on my preamp indicates "tip-send ring-return" and on the
sidechain jack on the compressor is exactly the opposite "tip-return
ring-send", is it correct that I just need to have a single tip/ring/sleeve
type cord going between the 2?

You shouldn't connect the side chain jack to your preamp. It's for
connecting an equalizer so you can make your compressor
frequency-sensitive. You'd use it just like an insert jack on a mixer,
inserting the equalizer into the compressor side chain path.

The RNC compressor uses a two-circuit (TRS) jack for its input
connector even though it's an unbalanced input. It's wired with input
on the top of the jack and the compressor output connected to the
ring. (The output is also connected to the output jack, obviously).
This way, you can connect the compressor directly to the insert jack
of a mixer or preamp that's wired with the tip send and ring recturn
by using a single TRS cable. There may be other compressors built like
this but I can't think of one now. Check your manual. Maybe yourse is
one.

Is a patch cord with 3 sections the same thing as a tip/ring/sleeve cord? Or
is what I need a different animal?

3 sections? You mean three wires? Or more correctly two wires and a
shield. If so, then yes.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Doc

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Is a patch cord with 3 sections the same thing as a tip/ring/sleeve

cord? Or
is what I need a different animal?

3 sections? You mean three wires? Or more correctly two wires and a
shield. If so, then yes.

The kind that has the jack with 3 distinct sections, with 2 plastic rings. I
was under the impression that the tip is, well, the tip, the center part is
the ring, the longer section is the sleeve. Or am I wrong?

Doc

"Eric" wrote in message
Eric wrote:

It sounds to me like you are doing everything correctly. Which preamp

and
compressor are you using?

Preamp is a Studio Projects VTB-1. The compressor is an Alesis
Nanocompressor.

Oops, I responded too quickly, without really thinking. A compressor side

chain
input is used for something different. You need a send/return cable that

is TRS on
one end with 2 TS on the other. One TS will be send, the other return.

Those will
patch to the compressor's input and output, not the sidechain input.

Okay, what now? There should be 3 jacks total? Does this mean the TRS jack
goes to the "insert" on the reamp, and the others to the in/out on one
channel of the compressor, reverb or whatever?

Logan Shaw

Is a patch cord with 3 sections the same thing as a tip/ring/sleeve cord? Or
is what I need a different animal?

3 sections? You mean three wires? Or more correctly two wires and a
shield. If so, then yes.

The kind that has the jack with 3 distinct sections, with 2 plastic rings. I
was under the impression that the tip is, well, the tip, the center part is
the ring, the longer section is the sleeve. Or am I wrong?

You are not wrong, you are right about the tip, ring, and sleeve.

However, you were being confusing by referring to a cord with three
sections when you meant a *connector* with three sections.

- Logan
EricK

Doc wrote:
Okay, what now? There should be 3 jacks total? Does this mean the TRS jack
goes to the "insert" on the reamp, and the others to the in/out on one
channel of the compressor, reverb or whatever?

That's right. You need to plug the TRS end into your preamp's insert.
Then one of the TS ends goes to the input on the compressor, the other
TS comes from the compressor's output.

Eric
--
www.Raw-Tracks.com

Mark Tranchant

Mike Rivers wrote:

The kind that has the jack with 3 distinct sections, with 2 plastic rings. I
was under the impression that the tip is, well, the tip, the center part is
the ring, the longer section is the sleeve. Or am I wrong?

It's times like these I wish I could hold up my TRS - 2xTS insert cord and
say "Look! We're talking about one of these!".

m.
Arny Krueger

Mark Tranchant wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

The kind that has the jack with 3 distinct sections, with 2 plastic
rings. I was under the impression that the tip is, well, the tip,
the center part is the ring, the longer section is the sleeve. Or
am I wrong?

It's times like these I wish I could hold up my TRS - 2xTS insert
cord and say "Look! We're talking about one of these!".

or show pretty pictures like these:

http://www.cobaltcable.com/product/insert_cable.htm

http://www.music123.com/Hosa-STP-Ins...e-i26938.music

http://buy-monster-cable-speaker-wir...bslstud63.html