Gary Morrison

Default Logic Audio V4->V6 Upgrade Problem

I subscribed to the Logic-Users list and sent the message below, but
haven't seen it get posted, much less any replies. Come to think of it,
I'm not sure that I've seen any traffic from that list yet. Hmmm...
(Perhaps it's waiting for a digest to get collected or something like
that.)

I'm currently in the process of a version-4 to version-6 upgrade, and I
seem to have run into a technical glitch. Of course it's a weekend, and
the tech-support folks are off-line, so perhaps one of you might have some
suggestions.

I say that I am "currently in the process" of that upgrade, in that I have
done the pre-registeration for the new key, and Fed-Exed in my old,
pre-XSKey key to Grass Valley and all that stuff, and I'm waiting for the
magic code from Germany. I'm therefore operating on the temporary license.

The first time I fired it up under the temporary license, the
XSKey-authorization dialog said, both under the Logic 5 and Logic 6
authorization field that I have 84 days left. Firing it up now (first time

since then), it says that I have 82 days on the Logic 6 license, but that
my temporary Logic 5 license has expired.

I can't seem to find any temporary logic-5 license number in the 4-5
upgrade box, but I did of course enter the temporary license number in the
5-6 upgrade box. When I entered that number again, it says that I've
already used that number and can't use it again.

The only weird thing I can recall happening during the installation process

(perhaps it may have something to do with this) is that when I first fired
up Logic 6, it displayed a current time in Germany, and asked if that is
the correct time. It gave me two options: To say that it's the correct
time or to quit the program. My best-guess solution was to change my clock

to Berlin time and say that, yes, it's the correct time. I have since
switched back to Austin (TX) time. I haven't tried moving the clock back
to Berlin time yet. I'll see about that shortly.

What kinds of insanity could ensue if I were to reinstall the program? My
guess would be that it wouldn't help (and might just confuse things more),
since this sort of information is probably stored in the key itself.

This is 6.2.something on OS-X, in the US, on a Mac G4/500.

Thanks for the ideas, folks!

Brian Takei

Gary Morrison ) wrote:
I subscribed to the Logic-Users list and sent the message below, but
haven't seen it get posted, much less any replies. Come to think of it,
I'm not sure that I've seen any traffic from that list yet. Hmmm...
(Perhaps it's waiting for a digest to get collected or something like
that.)

I'm no longer an active subscriber, but I do see you're post there, but
no replies. If you login, and go to -Edit My Membership-, you'll see
there are THREE main user-definable options for 'Message Delivery':
Individual Emails, Daily digest, and No Email (in which case you have
the primitive web interface). I suggest going for individual emails,
and use a decent email client with sorting and threading features. I
see that though activity has dropped to about half what it was before
Apple/Emagic, it's still running at about 60 or so posts a day, and I t
think trying to manage/monitor that with the digest or web-interface is
to be avoided.

IMO, all the options seriously suck compared to usenet/newsreader, but
so be it. The truth is, there are some VERY knowledgable and helpful
Logic users in that group, and it may well be worth your while to deal
with any shortcomings of the interface.

I say that I am "currently in the process" of that upgrade, in that I have
done the pre-registeration for the new key, and Fed-Exed in my old,
pre-XSKey key to Grass Valley and all that stuff, and I'm waiting for the
magic code from Germany. I'm therefore operating on the temporary license.

The first time I fired it up under the temporary license, the
XSKey-authorization dialog said, both under the Logic 5 and Logic 6
authorization field that I have 84 days left. Firing it up now (first time
since then), it says that I have 82 days on the Logic 6 license, but that
my temporary Logic 5 license has expired.

snip

What kinds of insanity could ensue if I were to reinstall the program? My
guess would be that it wouldn't help (and might just confuse things more),
since this sort of information is probably stored in the key itself.

I'm using LAWP 5/PC, which was a non-upgrade installation, but I'll make
the obvious guess -- the 4-5-6 upgrade path precludes the concurrent
use of 5 and 6. Since you took the step to 6, 5 will probably never
function, unless you have an earlier full system backup (and even then
you might still be stuck).

If I understand you correctly, you're current situation is that Logic 6
works, there are 82 days left in the temp license, by which time you
need to receive the permanent XS key from Emagic. Is there a particular
reason that you want to run 5 too? 6 is 5+1 so why worry? I would find
it objectionable that you can't run 4 again, but that may be that.

- Brian
Squares

I would suggest trashing your Logic preferences file. I think it's
under Library--Preferences.

Try trashing that, restart the program, don't do anything, just close
the program again, then restart the program a second time. That will
force the program to create a new preferences file.

Be sure you back it up though IF you have any custom key commands that
you don't want to have to reprogram. If you don't, then don't worry
about it. You're not going to hurt anything.

This is usually the solution I've been given from Emagic when I've had
similar problems to what you are describing.