Johan Wagener

Default connect dual voice coil to 2 channels

How do I connect a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub to 2 channels? I want to bridge
the 2 channels but I can't put the coils in parallel because the amp is only
2 ohm stable. Can I connect each of the coils to a channel?

It is rated 100W per channel or 300W bridged.

Scott Gardner

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:09:00 +0200, "Johan Wagener"
wrote:

How do I connect a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub to 2 channels? I want to bridge
the 2 channels but I can't put the coils in parallel because the amp is only
2 ohm stable. Can I connect each of the coils to a channel?

It is rated 100W per channel or 300W bridged.

What amplifier are you using? If the amp is 2-Ohm stable when bridged
to mono, you're golden, because that's what you'll have if you
parallel the voice coils in your sub - a 2-Ohm load.

Scott Gardner

Mark Zarella

That kinda means you're screwed then.

So your options are a stereo wiring as you suggested, or a bridged-series
wiring. Both will yield the same output. Or you could add a second one of
those subs if you're so inclined. Then you can bridge your amp or run it in
2 ohm stereo.

wrote:

How do I connect a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub to 2 channels? I want to

bridge
the 2 channels but I can't put the coils in parallel because the amp is

only
2 ohm stable. Can I connect each of the coils to a channel?

It is rated 100W per channel or 300W bridged.

What amplifier are you using? If the amp is 2-Ohm stable when bridged
to mono, you're golden, because that's what you'll have if you
parallel the voice coils in your sub - a 2-Ohm load.

Scott Gardner

Aaron

nope amp is 2 ohm stable under normal conditions so I cannot put a 2 ohm
load over the bridged channels

Which amp?

Johan Wagener

South Africa brand.

Starsound Jackslammer

www.starsound.co.za

"Aaron" wrote in message
nope amp is 2 ohm stable under normal conditions so I cannot put a 2 ohm
load over the bridged channels

Which amp?

Aaron

South Africa brand.

Starsound Jackslammer

www.starsound.co.za

Okay I went to that site but couldn't see that amp there. Anyway I'd be
surprised if it couldn't handle a 2 ohm load when bridged. I could be
wrong though. They look like nice amps...

Cheers,

Aaron

Johan Wagener

Oh yes, I noticed they don't have it in there. The one closest to it is the
1200W starsound amp. The Jackslammer is a 1500W amp.

In the manual it says not to put a 2ohm load over a bridge. The amp is not
1ohm stable thats why.

How much power do you lose connecting an eight ohm load to the amp?

"Aaron" wrote in message
.. .
South Africa brand.

Starsound Jackslammer

www.starsound.co.za

Okay I went to that site but couldn't see that amp there. Anyway I'd be
surprised if it couldn't handle a 2 ohm load when bridged. I could be
wrong though. They look like nice amps...

Cheers,

Aaron

Aaron

Oh yes, I noticed they don't have it in there. The one closest to it is the
1200W starsound amp. The Jackslammer is a 1500W amp.

In the manual it says not to put a 2ohm load over a bridge. The amp is not
1ohm stable thats why.

Oh okay, I'm pretty sure my amp is only 2 ohm stable as well, but it
seems to run okay with a 2 ohm load shown to it. Now maybe due to the
tight sealed box they're in, it sees a higher impedance when I'm really
thumping them. Never had it cut out on me.

How much power do you lose connecting an eight ohm load to the amp?

AFAIK, if you would get 1500 watts at 4 ohms, you'll get 750 watts at 8
ohms. Not sure on that one though...

Aaron

Mark Zarella

Oh yes, I noticed they don't have it in there. The one closest to it is
the
1200W starsound amp. The Jackslammer is a 1500W amp.

In the manual it says not to put a 2ohm load over a bridge. The amp is not
1ohm stable thats why.

How much power do you lose connecting an eight ohm load to the amp?

Less than half, compared to hooking it up to the 4 ohm load. Also,
equivalent to bridging it and hooking it up as an eight ohm load is to hook
the coils up in regular stereo mode. In fact, there can be benefits to
this, though not very important. So you can use that as an estimate of how
much power it will deliver bridged 8ohm.