Subwoofers! Etc.

Old February 11th 21, 02:17 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

Default Subwoofers! Etc.

On 11 Feb 2021 12:57:51 -0000, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>Ty Ford > wrote:
>>
>>Not a huge difference on CDs so far, but movies with 5.1 or more...Wow. We =
>>watched "Hook" a few nights ago and John Williams' score was HUGE.=20
>>
>>So, how do we feel about subs?

>Subs are necessary for movies these days, because just about all the
>soundtracks made since the nineties have used the LFE channel for something.
>Maybe not for very much in the case of a typical romantic comedy, but
>something.
>
>Subs for music are problematic because integration becomes a problem. Charlie
>Hayden does a run down the bass and the tone and position of his instrument
>changes somewhere along the line. For music, I'd rather have restricted bass
>than lumpy out of control bass. Your mileage may differ.
>--scott

Scott, have you tried Sonarworks? It is the only thing that finally
integrated my sub. It looks a bit like tried-and-failed systems for
room equalization but is in fact totally different. It does its best
work in a room that is already good

Old February 11th 21, 10:28 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/02/2021 1:57 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Ty Ford > wrote:
>>
>> Not a huge difference on CDs so far, but movies with 5.1 or more...Wow. We =
>> watched "Hook" a few nights ago and John Williams' score was HUGE.=20
>>
>> So, how do we feel about subs?

> Subs are necessary for movies these days, because just about all the
> soundtracks made since the nineties have used the LFE channel for something.
> Maybe not for very much in the case of a typical romantic comedy, but
> something.

Bed-head thumping against the wall ?

Old February 11th 21, 10:43 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"geoff" wrote in message

On 12/02/2021 1:57 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Ty Ford > wrote:
>>
>> Not a huge difference on CDs so far, but movies with 5.1 or more...Wow.
>> We =
>> watched "Hook" a few nights ago and John Williams' score was HUGE.=20
>>
>> So, how do we feel about subs?

> Subs are necessary for movies these days, because just about all the
> soundtracks made since the nineties have used the LFE channel for
> something.
> Maybe not for very much in the case of a typical romantic comedy, but
> something.

Bed-head thumping against the wall ?

ROTFLMAO!!!
Good one.

Poly

Old February 12th 21, 02:13 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf

On 11/02/2021 3:43 pm, polymod wrote:

> "geoff"¬* wrote in message ...
>
> On 12/02/2021 1:57 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Ty Ford¬* > wrote:
>>>
>>> Not a huge difference on CDs so far, but movies with 5.1 or more...Wow. We =
>>> watched "Hook" a few nights ago and John Williams' score was HUGE.=20
>>>
>>> So, how do we feel about subs?

>> Subs are necessary for movies these days, because just about all the
>> soundtracks made since the nineties have used the LFE channel for something.
>> Maybe not for very much in the case of a typical romantic comedy, but
>> something.

> Bed-head thumping against the wall ?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> ROTFLMAO!!!
> Good one.
>
> Poly

And what kind of FX when the bed breaks and crashes?

Old February 12th 21, 03:24 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_]

On 2/11/2021 8:13 PM, gray_wolf wrote:
> On 11/02/2021 3:43 pm, polymod wrote:
>>

>> "geoff"* wrote in message

>>> Subs are necessary for movies these days, because just about all the
>>> soundtracks made since the nineties have used the LFE channel for
>>> something.
>>> Maybe not for very much in the case of a typical romantic comedy, but
>>> something.

>> Bed-head thumping against the wall ?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>> ROTFLMAO!!!
>> Good one.
>>
>> Poly
>>

> And what kind of FX when the bed breaks and crashes?

Water bed >> tsunami >> blub! :-)
Old February 12th 21, 04:05 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/02/2021 2:13 pm, gray_wolf wrote:
> On 11/02/2021 3:43 pm, polymod wrote:
>>

>> "geoff"¬* wrote in message

>>> Subs are necessary for movies these days, because just about all the
>>> soundtracks made since the nineties have used the LFE channel for
>>> something.
>>> Maybe not for very much in the case of a typical romantic comedy, but
>>> something.

>> Bed-head thumping against the wall ?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>> ROTFLMAO!!!
>> Good one.
>>
>> Poly
>>

> And what kind of FX when the bed breaks and crashes?

Crunch.... squelch...pop .

Old February 12th 21, 11:08 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 11/02/2021 11:57 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> For music, I'd rather have restricted bass
> than lumpy out of control bass. Your mileage may differ.

And a real sub for music should, and can provide extended bass that is
NOT lumpy or out of control. Whether it does or not simply depends on
your choice of sub/s and X-over.

Old February 12th 21, 12:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 5:08:41 AM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
> On 11/02/2021 11:57 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > For music, I'd rather have restricted bass
> > than lumpy out of control bass. Your mileage may differ.

> And a real sub for music should, and can provide extended bass that is
> NOT lumpy or out of control. Whether it does or not simply dep
> your choice of sub/s and X-over.

___________

For consumers, is knowing the lower frequency response number enough to set up a sub - for music and movies?

At work, when setting up stereo equipment demos that include a powered subwoofer, the first thing I do, instinctively, is to look on the a back of the mains speakers for freq. response. If I see "90Hz" at the low end, I set the X-over freq. on the sub(if adjustment is available) to just a hair below the 90 hashmark(or halfway between 75 and 100Hz, of those are the closest).
I then set the subwoofer output control to its midpoint, put on some music to listen to, and fine tune from there.

Is that a reasonable process, in absence of taking measurement?
Old February 12th 21, 03:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 21:08:52 +1100, Trevor > wrote:

>On 11/02/2021 11:57 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> For music, I'd rather have restricted bass
>> than lumpy out of control bass. Your mileage may differ.

>And a real sub for music should, and can provide extended bass that is
>NOT lumpy or out of control. Whether it does or not simply depends on
>your choice of sub/s and X-over.

If the sub is good (not just a cinema boom box) and properly
integrated, you won't be aware that it is there - until you turn it
off and something goes missing.

Old February 12th 21, 05:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 12/02/2021 14:44, Don Pearce wrote:

> If the sub is good (not just a cinema boom box) and properly
> integrated, you won't be aware that it is there - until you turn it
> off and something goes missing.

This. As someone on here has in their .sig file. "If you notice the
sound, it's wrong."

The tricky bit is matching the whole system and the room so you don't
notice it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Car subwoofers gile Car Audio 0 October 3rd 07 10:29 PM
Looking for BLOWN MA AUDIO SUBWOOFERS & VISONIK SUBWOOFERS! RimShop Car Audio 1 October 22nd 04 07:26 PM
One amp for two subwoofers? nist7 Car Audio 4 December 26th 03 11:25 AM
Subwoofers Kim Inglar Car Audio 3 November 26th 03 01:02 PM
Subwoofers Mannie Smith High End Audio 3 August 14th 03 03:39 AM