Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

Default Audio restoration

Some audio restoration types have been discussing this product on rmcr
(the classical recordings group) for use with historical recordings:

http://www.har-bal.com/

Aside from the philosophical problem of using a modern recording as a
reference, some of the results have been quite interesting and
apparently quicker and easier to perform than the traditional method.

Any thoughts?

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Atkinson John Atkinson is offline

On Feb 9, 5:01 pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
Some audio restoration types have been discussing this product on rmcr
(the classical recordings group) for use with historical recordings:
http://www.har-bal.com/

The concept presented in the tutorial seems over-simplistic.

Aside from the philosophical problem of using a modern recording as a
reference, some of the results have been quite interesting and
apparently quicker and easier to perform than the traditional method.
Any thoughts?

Given the uniformly dreadful sound quality of modern rock
recordings, which are mastered so that all frequency bins
are full all the time, I have my doubts. Regarding classical,
I still have my doubts.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article .com,
"John Atkinson" wrote:

On Feb 9, 5:01 pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
Some audio restoration types have been discussing this product on rmcr
(the classical recordings group) for use with historical recordings:
http://www.har-bal.com/

The concept presented in the tutorial seems over-simplistic.

If it were only that easy!

Aside from the philosophical problem of using a modern recording as a
reference, some of the results have been quite interesting and
apparently quicker and easier to perform than the traditional method.
Any thoughts?

Given the uniformly dreadful sound quality of modern rock
recordings, which are mastered so that all frequency bins
are full all the time, I have my doubts. Regarding classical,
I still have my doubts.

The fellow on rmcr whose posts brought this to my attention says he is
using the program in a way not envisioned by the programmers. More here,
with samples:

http://www.pristineclassical.com/index.html

Stephen