Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Cox[_3_] Geoff Cox[_3_] is offline

Default Edirol R-09 to record my piano playing?

Hello,

I would like to record myself playing an upright piano.

The Edirol R-09 seems to be good reviews - would the inbuilt
microphones be OK for my use?

Incidentally when people mention the R-09 do they mean the R09HR or
are both available? If so, what is the cost difference?

Cheers

Geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kevin T Kevin T is offline

On Dec 19, 5:50*am, Geoff Cox wrote:
Hello,

I would like to record myself playing an upright piano.

The Edirol R-09 seems to be good reviews - would the inbuilt
microphones be OK for my use?

Incidentally when people mention the R-09 do they mean the R09HR or
are both available? If so, what is the cost difference?

Cheers

Geoff

the HR is newer more features / more$ . The R09, Tascam DR-1 or Zoom
H2 will all work for $300
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Geoff Cox wrote:

I would like to record myself playing an upright piano.
The Edirol R-09 seems to be good reviews - would the inbuilt
microphones be OK for my use?

It depends on what your use is. Are you going to be releasing CDs for
sale? Or do you just want to hear what you sound like? Or something in
between? Generally these portable recorders are much better than you'd
expect, but it's no substitute for a great piano recorded in a good
sounding space with top quality microphones. I've never worked with an
Edirol, but I have a Zoom H2 and have reviewed the TASCAM DR-1 and Korg
MR-1. The differences between them as far as actual recording capability
are pretty small when you figure out that they're a microphone with a
built-in recorder rather than a recorder with a built-in microphone. In
order to make the best recording, you have to put it in the right place
FOR A MICROPHONE rather than wherever it's convenient.

Incidentally when people mention the R-09 do they mean the R09HR or
are both available? If so, what is the cost difference?

They could mean either. I don't believe that the R-09 is still being
made, so if you buy a new one, it'll be an HR. There's no compelling
reason to record at 96 kHz with the built-in mics (or hardly for any
other reason either) but the HR has a few menu and button changes that
makes it a little easier to operate than the original model.

For casual recording though, I don't see any reason to spend any more
than what a Zoom H2 costs. It's recently had a price drop, to $179, and
there are a few small discounts off that if you shop around. Not to say
that it's "just as good" as another model, but that it's good enough for
anything other than specialized use, it's easy to use, it's truly
pocket-sized, and its 4-mic arrangement offers some useful options for
placement and setup.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Cox[_3_] Geoff Cox[_3_] is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:43:51 GMT, Mike Rivers
wrote:

Geoff Cox wrote:

I would like to record myself playing an upright piano.
The Edirol R-09 seems to be good reviews - would the inbuilt
microphones be OK for my use?

It depends on what your use is. Are you going to be releasing CDs for
sale? Or do you just want to hear what you sound like? Or something in
between? Generally these portable recorders are much better than you'd

just to liste to my own playing for hoped for improvement!

[...]

I have just listened to a sounds from a range of recorders at

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portab...d-samples.html

and find it difficult to rate one as better than any other!

As usual, too many choices!

Cheers

Geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave Dave is offline

I own both the R0-9 and the newer R09-HR. The improvements in the
newer HR version make the older one obsolete.

I agree that it would be just fine to record yourself using the
internal mics playing piano but if you were going to put out CD you
would definitely use external mics. I also would mount the recorder to
a boomed mic stand (since it is a stereo mic) and place it a few feet
above the intersection of where the strings meet (in a grand style).
Of course experimenting might result in better placement for your
needs but mounting it gives you the flexibility you need. Another
possible spot is the sound hole under the piano (in a grand style)

What's cool is that the HR comes with a wireless remote control so you
wouldn't even have to leave your bench to start and stop the
recording.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Cox[_3_] Geoff Cox[_3_] is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:10:44 -0800 (PST), Dave
wrote:

I own both the R0-9 and the newer R09-HR. The improvements in the
newer HR version make the older one obsolete.

Dave,

do you have any thoughts re the cheaper Zoom H2?

Cheers

Geoff

I agree that it would be just fine to record yourself using the
internal mics playing piano but if you were going to put out CD you
would definitely use external mics. I also would mount the recorder to
a boomed mic stand (since it is a stereo mic) and place it a few feet
above the intersection of where the strings meet (in a grand style).
Of course experimenting might result in better placement for your
needs but mounting it gives you the flexibility you need. Another
possible spot is the sound hole under the piano (in a grand style)

What's cool is that the HR comes with a wireless remote control so you
wouldn't even have to leave your bench to start and stop the
recording.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Walter Harley Walter Harley is offline

"Geoff Cox" wrote in message
do you have any thoughts re the cheaper Zoom H2?

I know, you asked Dave, not some random person you don't know, but that's
the internet for you.

As someone who owns an H2 and also a lot of expensive recording and SR gear:
get the H2. It will do just what you need, it sounds fine for your purpose,
it's easy to operate, and it's easy to get the audio on and off it (for
instance, I just pull the SD card out and stick it into my computer and copy
the file to my hard disk). The most important thing for a device like this
is that it is easy enough to use that you'll not be distracted from your
playing.

There is no point in quibbling over little sonic differences between the
different units, because they are not relevant to your task. If you want a
commercial-quality recording, to go a studio and have one made; if you want
to get a sense of how your playing sounds for purposes of self-improvement,
get something cheap and easy to use that sounds good enough. The Zoom H2
works great and fits your needs very well. There is nothing to be gained by
spending more.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Cox[_3_] Geoff Cox[_3_] is offline

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:42:14 -0800, "Walter Harley"
wrote:

"Geoff Cox" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the advice Walter.

Cheers

Geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Walter Harley wrote:

"Geoff Cox" wrote in message
[...]

What he said. The H2 is very useful for casual recording.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave Dave is offline

Hey Geoff, I have no experience with the H2. I have heard some
negative feedback on the menu system on the H4 but that is not even
relevant to our conversation.

I think Walter is correct as to not quibble over the specs between
the two units. I was surprised at the lower price point of the H2
compared to the R-09HR and completely understand why your leaning that
direction. I paid around $360 for my Edirol from Full Compass. I
notice that the H2 can be had for half that price. WOW. I thought that
the prices were much closer when I bought the R9-HR.

I wonder if Samson is going to release an updated model soon and thats
why the price is so low. Maybe you can wait till after CES Jan 8th
thru 11th to see what is up and coming. The choices of personal field
recording devices has increased dramatically in just two years. Best
of luck.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anahata Anahata is offline

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:13:09 -0800, Dave wrote:

I was surprised at the lower price point of the H2 compared
to the R-09HR and completely understand why your leaning that direction.
I paid around $360 for my Edirol from Full Compass. I notice that the
H2 can be had for half that price. WOW. I thought that the prices were
much closer when I bought the R9-HR.

The Zoom H2 was always cheaper than the Edirol R-09. The Edirol may have
slightly better mics, and the newer R9-HR is a big step up in features so
it's not surprising there's now a big price difference.

As for OP - it's only an upright piano... mic placement, not recorder
choice, is the key to getting the best out of it.

My Edirol R-09 (original version, not the HR) doesn't seem to have a mic
stand adapter, but I have used it successfully in a general purpose
shockmount.

I'd recommend H2 for the OP's purpose. No point in spending more.

--
Anahata
==//== 01638 720444

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Cox[_3_] Geoff Cox[_3_] is offline

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:13:09 -0800 (PST), Dave
wrote:

Hey Geoff, I have no experience with the H2. I have heard some
negative feedback on the menu system on the H4 but that is not even
relevant to our conversation.

I think Walter is correct as to not quibble over the specs between
the two units. I was surprised at the lower price point of the H2
compared to the R-09HR and completely understand why your leaning that
direction. I paid around $360 for my Edirol from Full Compass. I
notice that the H2 can be had for half that price. WOW. I thought that
the prices were much closer when I bought the R9-HR.

I wonder if Samson is going to release an updated model soon and thats
why the price is so low. Maybe you can wait till after CES Jan 8th
thru 11th to see what is up and coming. The choices of personal field
recording devices has increased dramatically in just two years. Best
of luck.

OK dave, thanks the H2 seems the way to go.

Cheers

Geoff