Posted to rec.audio.tubes
homedetective homedetective is offline

Default FA: Vintage Lafayette LA-224A Tube Amplifier EL84 6BQ5

Great Vintage Sound:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=011

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
ups.com
Bret Ludwig wrote:
homedetective wrote:
Great Vintage Sound:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=011This

is a very fine old vintage EL84 stereo amplifier made
in Japan in 1965. It has a smooth tube sound from the
four EL84 output tubes. The sound is very clear and
well articulated throughout the audio spectrum from
bass to middle to high frequencies. Of particular note
in this amplifier is the liveliness and presence in the
treble. It appears the engineers might have been
particularly proud of the treble performance of this
amplifier because the treble control is located in the
center of the front panel

In the days of tubes I sold a zillion of these at that Lafayette Radio
Associate store where I worked weekends and summers when I was in high
school. I think we sold them for about $59.95 in the days where about $150
would get you something halfways decent made by Fisher, Scott or Sherwood.

The LA 224 t about the bottom of the barrel of things that could be called
in one's most charitable moment, "Hi Fi". The output transformers were
lightweight, as was the construction of the rest of the amplifier.

IIRC this is _exactly_ the one that will yield the
transformers you Really Want for a 2x6V6 guitar
amplifier.

Could be.

Not worth a **** for hi fi though.

Depends how low you want to go and still call it "hi fi". It was way ahead
of brown goods made by Zenith and RCA for home use, at the time.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
Chuck Chuck is offline

Depends how low you want to go and still call it "hi fi". It was way ahead
of brown goods made by Zenith and RCA for home use, at the time.

Arny: What are 'brown goods'?
Chuck

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
yup..it's me... yup..it's me... is offline

Depends how low you want to go and still call it "hi fi". It was way ahead
of brown goods made by Zenith and RCA for home use, at the time.

Arny: What are 'brown goods'?
Chuck

It's not a term used much today, but in the OFD,
in ment the 'stereo' equipment (hahahahahahaha)
you found at Zayrez, Caldor's, Western Auto, etc.

Dept stores..not 'hi-fi' stores. Insert you local store
name here. JM Fields..Sears..Stuff made cheap just to
re-produce music. Speakers (hahahaha) with 1 driver
in it, but 3 holes with silver trim to make it look 3 way.

MAIL order stuff. You can say almost the same thing
about guitars n amps from WARDS compared to the
local store selling Gibson. But that market was 2 new.

8 track player/turntable/radio/2 'speakers' for $89

Lafayette was far beyond that, since they had the HAM n
HOBBY market (back then, B-I-G !) who would only buy
stuff that didn't look like the crap in the Dept Stores.

When I worked for the 2 last Laf stores here, we had a
ton of that 'older' branded Lafayette stuff in boxes.

ALL the SMART kids in school remembered their dad's
Lafayette catalog, and bought it up at full price.

I made $$ fixing it later..folks keep that stuff..

JJTj

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
Phil S. Phil S. is offline

"yup..it's me..." wrote in message

[...]

I've still got the old Panasonic stereo I got back in the late '60s. A ss
POS that came with 2 6" POS speakers with RCA jacks. I think it cost $89
which might have been my whole summer's wages. The speakers are long gone,
but I saved the unit. I'm sure it still works. What could go wrong? grin

At some point, I hooked some decent speakers to it and was actually
surprised at how good the sound was. But the tuner lacks a flywheel, so
it's like having a car radio in your house. By that I mean the radio you
had in your 1965 Plymouth Valiant.

At some point Panasonic got respectable, but I assure everyone, my item
pre-dates that!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Chuck" wrote in message
ups.com
Depends how low you want to go and still call it "hi
fi". It was way ahead of brown goods made by Zenith and
RCA for home use, at the time.

Arny: What are 'brown goods'?

Console stereos.

Audio gear that is primarily furniture, but also makes sounds of sorts. The
"brown" comes from finished wood.

The Zenith, Magnavox, GE and RCA stereo consoles of the day.