Angelo Massimo Figundio

Default wiring question

Hello everyone! I'm attempting to build a headphone preamp with 6bl7gta and
6sn7 tubes. The scheme is air wired.
What kind of cable is better: one wire of 1.5mm for examples or multi wire
of 1.5mm?
Excuse me for bad english :-)
Angelo M. Figundio

Gregg

I always prefer stranded (multi-wire) over solid (single-wire).

However, since on a chassis (air-mount), they do not strain, there is no
real reason one may be better than the other.

Enjoy your project! :-)

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Ronald

Hi Gregg ,

Ever did a sound check ?
Even solid copper sounds better than silver plated !!
So I would use sollid copper or sollid silver , NO multi-wire !!

Ronald .

"Gregg" schreef in bericht
I always prefer stranded (multi-wire) over solid (single-wire).

However, since on a chassis (air-mount), they do not strain, there is no
real reason one may be better than the other.

Enjoy your project! :-)

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
*Ratings are for transistors, tubes have guidelines*

Gregg

Behold, Ronald scribed on tube chassis:

Hi Gregg ,

Ever did a sound check ?

Ummmm, not really.

Even solid copper sounds better than silver plated !! So I would use
sollid copper or sollid silver , NO multi-wire !!

Ok, you got my curiosity up....

Loser has to eat a kilo of pannekoek *without* brown sugar :-D

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
*Ratings are for transistors, tubes have guidelines*
Choky

"Ronald" wrote in message
| Hi Gregg ,
|
| Ever did a sound check ?
| Even solid copper sounds better than silver plated !!
| So I would use sollid copper or sollid silver , NO multi-wire !!
|
| Ronald .
|

| "Gregg" schreef in bericht
| I always prefer stranded (multi-wire) over solid (single-wire).
|
| However, since on a chassis (air-mount), they do not strain, there is no
| real reason one may be better than the other.
|
| Enjoy your project! :-)
|

| --
| Gregg "t3h g33k"
| http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
| *Ratings are for transistors, tubes have guidelines*

ZM always use SC

Ronald

"Gregg" schreef in bericht

Loser has to eat a kilo of pannekoek *without* brown sugar :-D

ROTFLOL !!!

robert casey

Ronald wrote:

Hi Gregg ,

Ever did a sound check ?
Even solid copper sounds better than silver plated !!
So I would use sollid copper or sollid silver , NO multi-wire !!

What, for a few inches or cm's of wire inside a small chassis?
If so, then I should be in good shape as I used 14 AWG house
"romex" wire for speaker cable inside the walls for the living room
stereo system.

Use what you find convenient to work with. Any wire with
at least a half mm of insulation thickness and tinned
should be good.
Ian Iveson

"Angelo Massimo Figundio" wrote

What kind of cable is better: one wire of 1.5mm for examples or
multi wire of 1.5mm?

For wiring in air, single strand doesn't flop about so much and
remembers what shape you bent it into. Tinned is easier to solder,
and highish temperature insulation helps, although some can be
tricky to strip. Sensible colours are a good idea.

I would be very surprised if there were any differences significant
to audio performance between multi and single strand. Quality of
insulation is probably a bigger issue.

cheers, Ian

Patrick Turner

robert casey wrote:

Ronald wrote:

Hi Gregg ,

Ever did a sound check ?
Even solid copper sounds better than silver plated !!
So I would use sollid copper or sollid silver , NO multi-wire !!

What, for a few inches or cm's of wire inside a small chassis?
If so, then I should be in good shape as I used 14 AWG house
"romex" wire for speaker cable inside the walls for the living room
stereo system.

Use what you find convenient to work with. Any wire with
at least a half mm of insulation thickness and tinned
should be good.

High voltage wiring in plate circuits need careful attention.
The insulation must not be prone to pinching amoungst components
where it runs, and I often place an extra sleeving over the plate wires
to the OPT.

Solid copper is ok, silver plated copper is also ok,
and frankly I hear not the slightest difference between any wire or
solder that is used.
0.6 mm is fine for most general purpose wiring, although thicker is
better
for the heater wires to output tubes.
One way is to hard wire it all with solid, then place different coloured
teflon sleeving
around each wire as you proceed. But its wasteful, since
careful attention to wiring layout is more important than the type of
wire you use.
Quad II looks really neat when you open the case but in fack
a lot of wiring location improvements are possible.
I sometimes wire things up more than once in some places, since its hard
to visualise where
al, the wires will go. After goodnees knows how many amps, I have become
neater
and more correct about where I run wires and lay out components than
when i started.

Each and every connection that is soldered must be accessable without
having to move things out of the way to get a soldering iron in without
melting
some capacitor, or other component.

Don't be basfful about providing yourself with a shirtload of
tagstrips or connector strips in lines about 20 mm off the edge of each
valve socket,
so about 12 tags per tube, 6 each side, are available to fit R&C parts.
Try to make all the R face in one direction.

The longer you plan the underside of a chassis, the easier it will be to
service later,
and the more you will be able to follow what you have done in 5 years
time.

Patrick Turner.