Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Cylindrical vs. box shaped subwoofers

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Barkingspyder" wrote in message
Based on what I have read here if I'm going to use Sonotube, it would be
very wise to find some way to brace it internally.

Not exactly rocket science. Get a bunch of 2x2 clear pine, some 3 1/2"
dry wall screws, a 1/8" drill, and some construction adhesive.

Onw of the real big problems with these concrete forms
is that they are wax-coated (first to prevent water
from soaking in to them when they're filled with
concrete, secondly to make it easy to strip them off
once they're done.

The wax coating makes the use of any adhesive-based
solution a real challenge.

Friends who have done projects with them tell me that scrubbing with
petroleum distillates solves that problem when it exists.

Possibly, there is some other brand of tubing that would be thicker and
possibly more rigid.

If you're so committed to marrying these things, what's
wrong with the idea of taking two forms of somewhat different
diameter and filling the space between them with sand?

Now that would be a robust and very acoustically dead solution, not to
mention very heavy.