Pan

Default NAD 4150 tuner problem

I just hooked up this tuner after putting it in storage for 10 years. The
tuner doesn't want to tune very well. Let me explain. When I try to tune
in a frequency, it will often skip the station. I have to keep trying with
the arrows to try to get it to lock in on the frequency. The manual tuning
doesn't seem to be working as it will be skipping many steps along the way.
The auto tuning is all over the place, skipping stations with clear signals
and bypassing them. I have to keep working the up and down arrows to get it
to finally "find" my station. Does anyone have an idea what this problem
might be and what the fix or cost to fix would be? Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Pan
pan(underscore)dc(at)yahoo(dot)com

I had one of these for years. It is (was), for the money, an excellent digital
tuner. Contact these folks. They may be able to point you to a competant repair
service.

http://www.northamptonaudio.com/

Note that electrolytic caps, after left in storage for 10 years, need to be
re-formed by slowly ramping up the voltage to the device. Don't just "turn it
on." Also, FWIW, on my NAD 4150 I did have to replace the large filter cap in
the PS. The electrolytics in that vintage device may be bad or getting bad.
And, be prepared for them to tell you that service may be difficult because of
out of availability of esoteric Japanese transistors or solid state circuits.

You can probably buy a newer one cheaper than getting this device repaired,
unless the problem is a simple capacitor replacement.

Good luck. Dick

Skating problem Jeremy General 0 March 31st 04 03:09 AM
Problem with Soundblaster Live! and Philips SBC MD 110 Cristian Soto General 10 January 18th 04 11:56 PM
Pioneer Silver Era components for Sale (tuner, decompressor, time-tunnel reverb) ME Designer General 1 December 24th 03 02:55 AM
Problem with "Clean Plus" Ken Palmateer General 0 August 23rd 03 06:27 PM
Technics SL1210 M3D turntable problem... Strutter General 1 July 13th 03 08:55 PM