Posted to rec.audio.car

Default MB Quart Buying Advice

I was hanging around Canal St in NYC today, and these dealers seemed so
shady, and I couldn't bring myself to plop down the money for equipment that
was priced close to ebay. I refused to buy gray market (no warranty) or
refurbished/used goods. I know, I'm anal, but if I'm gonna spend a grand on
a system, I rather pay a few bucks more on new equipment.

Anyway, there's one authorized dealer that offers MB Quart for;
DSE216, 6.5" component for $199
DKE169, 6x9" for $159

Is this a good price? Ikesound is way cheaper, but they're not authorized.

Also, the dealer claims that amps are not required for these speakers, but
what do you think?

Thanks as always for your input.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Well, MB Quart makes great speakers. I don't know if I have heard that
exact series, but all that I have heard sound great. He is right that an
amp is not REQUIRED, however, you will get much more potential out of your
speakers with an amp. They can get much louder before your sound becomes
distorted, but you need to make sure when you go to get an amp that you get
one with a low THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). This rating isn't quite so
pertinent to subwoofers, but when it comes to components, they reproduce
distortion much more audible than a subwoofer. Ikesound is a good place to
buy (got my sub from them), so I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you
take it easy on the gains when you amp your speakers, you shouldn't worry
much about blowing them. I also don't buy used goods without a warranty.
Ikesound does not have a manufacturers warranty, but they do have a 90 day
in house warranty for most anything purchased from them. Anyhow, I also was
looking into MB Quart for some components. I'd also like to hear some input
on some who may have heard this line of components.

Good luck.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
"t" wrote in message
I was hanging around Canal St in NYC today, and these dealers seemed so
shady, and I couldn't bring myself to plop down the money for equipment

that
was priced close to ebay. I refused to buy gray market (no warranty) or
refurbished/used goods. I know, I'm anal, but if I'm gonna spend a grand

on
a system, I rather pay a few bucks more on new equipment.

Anyway, there's one authorized dealer that offers MB Quart for;
DSE216, 6.5" component for $199
DKE169, 6x9" for $159

Is this a good price? Ikesound is way cheaper, but they're not authorized.

Also, the dealer claims that amps are not required for these speakers, but
what do you think?

Thanks as always for your input.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

I read ikesound's page on that series, and they come with a 1 year in house
warranty according to their website
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2065 And for $99 that sounds
like a solid deal. I may acquire a set of these just because.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER

"t" wrote in message
I was hanging around Canal St in NYC today, and these dealers seemed so
shady, and I couldn't bring myself to plop down the money for equipment

that
was priced close to ebay. I refused to buy gray market (no warranty) or
refurbished/used goods. I know, I'm anal, but if I'm gonna spend a grand

on
a system, I rather pay a few bucks more on new equipment.

Anyway, there's one authorized dealer that offers MB Quart for;
DSE216, 6.5" component for $199
DKE169, 6x9" for $159

Is this a good price? Ikesound is way cheaper, but they're not

authorized.

Also, the dealer claims that amps are not required for these speakers,

but
what do you think?

Thanks as always for your input.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I have used (and still use a Quart tweeter) MB Quart and I think they
absolutely REQUIRE an amp. They tend to be VERY inefficient, at least my
PSD216's are. Just for kicks, I tried running my Quart components off an
Alpine 7863 (with the powerful V-drive 60 watt X 4 amp) and it sounded like
CRAP. You will NEED an amp.

But as far as sound quality, IMHO, nothing beats the Quart titanium tweeter.
There is a crispness and openness that textile based tweeters just can't
achieve. However ,as far as midbass drivers, I just switched from the Quart
midbass to a JL VR series midbass and it seems to have much more impact.

MOSFET

"t" wrote in message
I was hanging around Canal St in NYC today, and these dealers seemed so
shady, and I couldn't bring myself to plop down the money for equipment
that was priced close to ebay. I refused to buy gray market (no warranty)
or refurbished/used goods. I know, I'm anal, but if I'm gonna spend a grand
on a system, I rather pay a few bucks more on new equipment.

Anyway, there's one authorized dealer that offers MB Quart for;
DSE216, 6.5" component for $199
DKE169, 6x9" for $159

Is this a good price? Ikesound is way cheaper, but they're not authorized.

Also, the dealer claims that amps are not required for these speakers, but
what do you think?

Thanks as always for your input.

Posted to rec.audio.car

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2065 And for $99 that sounds
like a solid deal. I may acquire a set of these just because.

But is that too good to be true? I think the MSRP on that is $324.

"t" wrote in message
I was hanging around Canal St in NYC today, and these dealers seemed so
shady, and I couldn't bring myself to plop down the money for equipment

that
was priced close to ebay. I refused to buy gray market (no warranty) or
refurbished/used goods. I know, I'm anal, but if I'm gonna spend a
grand

on
a system, I rather pay a few bucks more on new equipment.

Anyway, there's one authorized dealer that offers MB Quart for;
DSE216, 6.5" component for $199
DKE169, 6x9" for $159

Is this a good price? Ikesound is way cheaper, but they're not

authorized.

Also, the dealer claims that amps are not required for these speakers,

but
what do you think?

Thanks as always for your input.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

No, that is not too good to be true. If you are comparing to crutchfields
prices they are a great deal.. Anything you compare to an MSRP is going to
be a steal. That number is just there to give you 'happies' because you
think you got a good deal. don't waste your time worrying about an MSRP on
anything you buy from here on out.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER

"t" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car

Austin, on average, for major established brands, the markup is usually
around 100% to 150%. Meaning speakers with MSRP of $200 will cost the dealer
about $100 (factoring in overhead and commissions).

So if these speakers are suppose to be $300 the dealer will break even if he
sell it at $125, and therefore $99 is not kosher. It's gotta be refurbish,
gray-market, stolen or something. I use to work (the guy who actually buys
the stuff for the store) for electronics and computer stores so I'm not
making this up.

"t" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Well, Ikesound has been doing good business with alot of people for several
years now, and I assure you the Pioneer Subwoofer I've got is brand new...
Any product they sell that's refurb, is definitely advertised as so on their
website.... check out the Directed Audio amps... half of them are refurbs
and they say it. Again, don't worry about MSRP because it's irrelevant.
Like another post said.... you aren't given the ability to listen before you
buy, the store has much less overhead, they don't offer manufacturer's
warranty (but do offer nice in house warranties). Also, Ikesound does not
work off of comission.. as most internet companies don't. They do have a
store in Florida, and I think another in Cali if you are worried go in and
check it out... computer markup and car audio markup are different and even
car audio markup is different between manufacturers

--
- AUSTIN BECKER

"t" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car

Austin,

Because you and MOSFET had good experiences with Ikesound, then I'll go with
them.

Thanks for everyone's input.